1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any BMW or Audi Owners Here??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by scnupe7, Feb 1, 2005.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Okay.  Can this be installed on cars with manual transmissions?  The reason I ask is that remote/automatic  starters are not available for cars with manual transmissions.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Yes, you're going to set the e-brake anyways when you get out of the car, and leave it in neutral, nothing will be any different than you sitting in the car for a few minutes before shutting off the ignition.

3. dietcookie

dietcookie Senior member

I drive a 94 BMW 318is. Eh, bottom end car. But for $3000, nothing sure beats it. Alot of people think it's alot newer and its just pretty cool looking. It has 172K on it now and running strong. Like any car, take care of it, and it'll take care of you. I enjoy my car, next one will definetly be another BMW or at least German car.

4. Charles Rogers

Charles Rogers Senior member

'00 323i- Love her (Veronica). She was around 25k and had 40k on her. No problems. My dad has the new S4, engine had to be replaced, but the service was excellent and he still loves the car.

Drizz, do you belong to a car forum?

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

Can anyone recommend the best place to order (via a catalog or the Internet), gear for the BMW. Specifically trunk mats and perhap cargo nets/containers, stuff like that? I hate cheaply made stuff and don't mind paying for well-made stuff.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Horace, http://www.bmpdesign.com/ CR, when I was in the industry I belonged to quite a few of them, and I started one of the largest automotive forums on the interest (www.supraforums.com) which I sold a bit later on. I'm not really involved in the automotive aftermarket anymore.

7. Charles Rogers

Charles Rogers Senior member

Wow, I am a little star struck. What did you do in the "industry"?

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

personal experience with 99 1.8T sedan, 04 s4 sedan, 05 1.8T wagon

great cars

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I was in the performance business for awhile, I owned a import/export business for automotive parts and a retail/internet sales business for import performance parts for awhile, I was in the industry for about 2 years then moved back into management consulting. I mostly did it for fun, it was a nice diversion from consulting for a few years.

10. Horace

Horace Senior member

Thanks Drizz., that was very helpful. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know. I saw this Bavarian AutoSport at bavauto.com that seem to have been around for a while. If anyone has an experience with them, I'd like to hear about it.

11. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

drizzt, you appeared to have been successful in a number of ventures. Key things you may feel like sharing i.e. lessons learned, mistakes to avoid etc. Maybe we can have a style and mentoring forum. -

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Bavarian Autosport is pretty good, I've done some business with them as well. I would recommend either, BMPD is a good resource though, I used them for sourcing many of my products for BMWs.

Oscar,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm not entirely sure I'd be the best role model as I've had my share of humbling failures as well, but persistence and recognizing your strengths/weaknesses are traits that may prove useful in the long run.

13. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

You should check out the Mercedes SLK-350. It'll blow the doors off an M3 (for less money) or an Audi, not to mention being terribly sexier and a whole helluva lotta fun.. How do I know the SLK-350 will smoke an M3? 'Cuz I've done it. Ha ha ha ha.

The M3 has a soft-top convertible roof, which is ridiculous considering the price. The SLK-350 is a hard-top convertible, with a pneumatic roof control that should last much longer. It also comes with heated headrests that blow warm air on your neck when driving on a cold day with the top down. I test-drove an M3 when looking for a car, and was not terribly impressed. The performance is not much better than a Lexus IS300, and the look is bland. IMO, BMW's are overpriced because a lot of people want them. I consider the Mercedes a vastly superior car at a lower price and much higher entertainment value.

Also, BMW has a fairly good mechanical record until you hit 100k miles. Then, they are notorious for being quite tempermental. That was another one of the reasons I went with the SLK-350.

14. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Oh yeah, forgot to add one thing...

I'm going to upgrade to the SLK-55 AMG, so I'll be selling my SLK-350 in about 6 months probably, if anyone is interested... heh heh.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Actually that falls in line with your thinking...once the car is old and has Poor performance, you sterilize it.

Jon.

16. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Unqualified assertions that car X will blow the doors off car Y are worth exactly what you pay for them.  Each person has his own criteria for evaluating a car and so such statements rarely apply.  I suspect you meant that the SLK-350 has better straight line acceleration than an M3.  Whether or not that's true, put a few bends in the road and it becomes a completely different ballgame.

dan

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Actually, MB build quality is down from what it was. My dad's S55 AMG was a piece of shit. Kompressor broke twice; first time it needed a full overhaul, second time it needed to be replaced entirely. Computer was no better off; constantly popping up messages to take the car in for service or that something was not working when it was. And then, when something did in fact break down, the computer failed to report it. Even my crappy Mazda, which costs like a 6th of the Benz, doesn't have that problem. Not to mention the Command handbook is about the length of a Leon Uris novel.

Interior parts don't fare much better with plastic hinges and ill designed / ill-fitting parts. I was in my friends Audi A8 when my dad still had the Benz, and it was like a Bentley compared to the S55.

Jon.

18. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    (linux_pro @ Mar. 07 2005,16:38) Oh yeah, forgot to add one thing... I'm going to upgrade to the SLK-55 AMG, so I'll be selling my SLK-350 in about 6 months probably, if anyone is interested... heh heh.
    Actually that falls in line with your thinking...once the car is old and has Poor performance, you sterilize it. Jon.
    Now you have to come over here to clean the soda pop out of my keyboard. [​IMG] Too funny.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ Mar. 07 2005,15:46)
    Oh yeah, forgot to add one thing... I'm going to upgrade to the SLK-55 AMG, so I'll be selling my SLK-350 in about 6 months probably, if anyone is interested... heh heh.
    Actually that falls in line with your thinking...once the car is old and has Poor performance, you sterilize it. Jon.
    Now you have to come over here to clean the soda pop out of my keyboard. [​IMG] Too funny.
    I'll be right over... Jon.

20. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'm rather fond of MB's new offerings, I sold my E55 last year when I bought my 911T but it was a nice car, and a bit underrated for power. I don't think straight line acceleration was considerably worse than that of the Porsche, and it was a decent handling car for what it was. I also like the SLK32 and 55 series convertibles.

I think testimonials about relative acceleration potential of cars is not extremely useful, as there are too many variables, but analyzing the cars' trap speeds will be pretty telling.

SLK350 13.62@103
    M3 13.53@107

This makes quite a bit of sense with similar weights and about a 50 hp advantage for the m3, it's likely that the MB's superior torque at lower rpms allows it to accelerate better during the first 60' which will greatly affect actual ET. It's not unreasonable to assume that a SLK-350 would outaccelerate a M3 on any given day, looking at that information, but when both cars are moving the M3 has a decided advantage (and as dah328 mentioned, is a much better handling car) BTW, I have seen stock M3s running in the low 13s in good conditions, the info I received was from car magazines, so they will generally be a few tenths slower than the actual potential of the car.