• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any Belgians here?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I will be taking an assignment in Brussels. Anyone from that area? I need to know where to live (with a wife and 2 year old), where to shop, where to eat, what to do, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks so much.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that still a country? I heard they lost their constitution and turned the place into a go-kart track.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Looks like I will be taking an assignment in Brussels. Anyone from that area? I need to know where to live (with a wife and 2 year old), where to shop, where to eat, what to do, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks so much.

Can't tell you much about living arrangements but you'll get to drink lots of great beer and eat great food. Antwerp is great and is just a stones throw away, as is Bruges. Paris is only a couple hours via train. I'm jealous.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from holland but live at 5 min. from the border, and frequently go to that area with friends or to visit them.. If you want any specific info just pm me.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great fries and beer, thriving expat community, more reasonable than France or London...

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some professors from there. Does that count?

Ixelles

Reaction score
Not Belgian but I've lived in Brussels for longer than I care to think about. Feel free to pm me.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not Belgian either, but I'm a big fan, after having spent only a short time there on holiday. Loved it. I'd move to Brussels if I had the chance.

b

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
X-It lives there.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
X-It lives in the Netherlands near the Belgian border, IIRC.

My advice is, live in Brussels, in Ixelles near the Place de Chatelain. The Belgian suburbs are nice and they're cheap, but they're deadly. If you want greener but still in Brussels, Uccle is an option.

There's an English-language publication called The Bulletin that has a message board.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

My advice is, live in Brussels, in Ixelles near the Place de Chatelain. The Belgian suburbs are nice and they're cheap, but they're deadly. If you want greener but still in Brussels, Uccle is an option.

There's an English-language publication called The Bulletin that has a message board.

Deadly?

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

Oops -- you're right!
Got confused...

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flem or Walloon?

Ixelles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Deadly?

Deadly dull, I'd assume. It's true, as a temporary expat, I concur with Grim about the most interesting neighbourhoods (had mentioned that in a pm). There are some nice residential areas (burbs) full of expats (Tervuren, Waterloo,...), but they are only really doable with a car and the commute is hell.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40