• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Aquarists In Here?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Story:

For his 4th grade graduation my brother asked my parents for a fish tank. I laughed at him (I was graduating 6th grade from a different school [for gifted children] and was in for a graduation present, too). We were always nature boys but I thought, why not get a Nintendo system or something??

So he got the tank, a 20L. He had a kissing fish, a cichlid and a baby piranha. I was amazed and enamored. Thus began my love of aquariums. One time I had 5 running aquariums in my home. When I was homeless, I even had a tank set up at my friends house and would come by and service the [my] tank. I even took second jobs at pet stores so I could have countless tanks and access.

I graduated from fresh to brackish to saltwater and for the past 7 years or so I have has successful reef tanks. We have a 26 bowfront right now with about 25 species of coral, numerous crabs, snails, a marble star, cleaner shrimp, a small yellow tang (I know) two firefish and a small ORA ocellaris. Running 4 ATI T5s on timers and dosing BIonic & Magnesium. Sand substrate. 28lbs live rock.

I have 3 pumps running circ and a Remora skimmer. No problems in the last year since I set it up.

What do you have?

Last edited:

ZombieFlynn

Reaction score
I was into the whole Takashi Amano thing around ten years ago.

I had a 50 gallon freshwater tank with few australian rainbowfish but it was set up primarily to show off aquatic plants.

Once in a while I think of setting up a micro/nano reef, but I have too many hobbies already.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best thing I like about reef keeping is that after you set it up and do the preliminary testing and such, it's pretty much hands off from there.

ZombieFlynn

Reaction score
That might be true for larger setups. Don't know if it still holds true for nano/micro reefs. I figure they would be more sensitive to variations in water chemistry and such, requiring constant testing and correction.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
post pics of your tanks.

I've been wanting to set a simple fish tank up for years for my kids but the only thing that's stopping me is the thought of having to clean it up. is there any new technology thingie that makes cleaning a thing of the past?

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rad. I went to an aquarium the other day, so now I'm interested.

Please continue.

Last edited:

ZombieFlynn

Reaction score

post pics of your tanks.
I've been wanting to set a simple fish tank up for years for my kids but the only thing that's stopping me is the thought of having to clean it up. is there any new technology thingie that makes cleaning a thing of the past?

There are people/companies that will clean your aquarium for you.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That might be true for larger setups. Don't know if it still holds true for nano/micro reefs. I figure they would be more sensitive to variations in water chemistry and such, requiring constant testing and correction.

Actually, I find smaller tanks more manageable. My surrent setup is a 26 bowfront and all I have to do is a 5 gal water change (which equates to about a 20% change) every other week or so. Dump the skimmer collection cup daily, feed the fish and dose 2-part (takes less than 5 minutes to do all three).

post pics of your tanks.

Cleaning is dependent on what fish you stock and how often you feed them. For instance, goldfish are nasty creatures that eat and poop all day. They are coldwater fish. If you went tropical, a few flakes a day and you're all set. With a gravel substrate you can buy one of those suction pump vacuums that clean the gravel and keep your hands dry.

I would suggest starting with something in the 20 gallon range and doing some research on what to stock and their requirements. That by far is the most difficult part. The enjoyment on the other hand makes it all worthwhile.

Rad. I went to an aquarium the other day, so now I'm interested.

Please continue.

Here's my current setup. Note that due to the actinic lighting the pictures are off in color, particularly the oranges and reds:

This was a couple of months ago. There has been growth since and the whole back glass is covered in purple coralline.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I run a 4 x T5HO bulb light fixture with ATI bulbs, 3 blue plus and 1 aquablue special. 2 BP bulbs are on from 9AM until 9PM. The ABS and other BP bulb come on (to simulate daylight) for about 2 hours during the day since my tank gets direct sunlight thru my skylight. Running 2 Hydor Koralia Evo pumps and a Seio for circulation. A Remora protein skimmer on 24/7. ~25lbs live rock, ~20lbs live sand, ~25 coral species, 4 types of snails, 3 types of hermit crabs, 2 shrimp, 2 types of starfish, 4 fish, and all of the beneficial hitchhikers that surprise you with a reef tank.

You may remember my earlier pics where there were poison frog housed in this very tank. The reef has been up and running for about a year now.

Pics I took just now:

I really wish my camera and skills were sufficient to capture the beauty I have in my sitting room. I've been banned from some aquarist fora because of heated debates surrounding husbandry and the theories of what it takes to have and maintain a successful reef tank. My tank has proven my point but I submit these janky photos to you and would invite anyone within a stone's throw to come over and view my tank.

Last edited:

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
12 or 15 years ago, when I lived at home, I always had a few aquariums going at a time - community tank, cichlid tank, predator tank with clown knives and large cats.

Three years back I caught the bug again and bought a 72 gallon bowfront full getup...don't know what I was thinking. Never set it up as I was still moving around a lot and didn't want to deal w/ the hassle of taking it down every time I moved.

Just came across this a few weeks back and got excited:

Then I saw they make a larger 12-gallon model, which I prefer:

Anyone have experience with the Fluval Edge? The reviews have been mostly positive, with the complaint that the only way to access the inside is through the smallish hole on top (I have long arms so I'm not too worried).

The small size is appealing, but what's the quality of the components like? Is the LED lighting sufficient for live plants?

Would probably do a sand bottom with a pair of kuhli loaches, a small group of cardinal tetras for top-level schooling fish, and then two or three other small-medium size fish with more visual interest.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mu neighbor has a Fluval Edge and unless you keep it all the way full with water the pump can cause a sandstorm if you use sand as a substrate. I believe there are some pages online where people have modified the lighting on them and such. Nice looking tanks.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
The small size is appealing, but what's the quality of the components like? Is the LED lighting sufficient for live plants?
Would probably do a sand bottom with a pair of kuhli loaches, a small group of cardinal tetras for top-level schooling fish, and then two or three other small-medium size fish with more visual interest.

If you want to keep a planted tank with a small fish load take a look at this site: http://www.adana-usa.com/

There are a few aquaria threads here if you search.

lefty

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Thiery Henry is going to have everyone beat:

"5 story, 5,500 gallon fishtank. The proposed aquarium will house 300 fish and cost £250,000 (approx $400,000 USD) to build."

Anyway, we are currently without aquarium, but shall have one soon.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am a Capricorn. Almost though.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is well worth watching:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads