Any Aquarists In Here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NORE, Feb 18, 2012.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

That is nice but I much rather a reef systems because of the diversity and vibrant colors achievable in both coral and fish/inverts. Look:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

A guy at work has a 600 gallon tank. I think he's nuts.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Hope it is not in his bedroom...

Imagine the tank breaking up...

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

It spans a couple floors and he's got the pumps and that kind of thing in the basement. He built it all himself.

5. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I've been reading about the Fluval Edge and watching videos. I wish the 12-Gallon version had the same proportions as the 6-gallon.

Do you have to cycle the water more often with a planted tank?

6. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

aquariums are a bad thing, especially reef tanks. My conclusion is that dedicated coke habits are a cheaper hobby.

I was bit hard by the fish bug. Name it, I've kept it (excluding discus). At my worst I probably had over 15 large tanks running (mostly reef/saltwater). Finally came to my senses and sold everything off but a modest 46gal bowfront oceanic tank. I started doing a lot of moving so I moved it to my parents' basement where its been abandoned for the past 7 years.

Fast forward to today, my buddy gave me a 12 gallon reef ready acrylic cube tank. I've owned so many large tanks but have always wanted one of those self contained cubes. Its got water, salt and substrate in it but nothing else while I decide what I want to do with it. And ironically my parents decided to move so I just drudged my bowfront out of their basement yesterday... its a really nice tank and it has the matching oceanic 20gal sump. I JUST finished cleaning it out (yes I let the tank run dry and untouched), and below is a before pic of that poor decision. I have no idea what I am going to do with it yet.... I'm thinking something real simple like a planted clown loach tank.

[​IMG]

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

Then you aren't doing something right. I could go into detail but for instance all I do is feed my fish, do a 5 gal water change every week or two and dose 2-part and some magnesium. Dump the skimmer cup when it's full.

My earlier tanks were a lot of work because of reading differing opinions and trying to cut corners. Like being prodded to buy AE when EG is the way to go. I learned that if I went all out in the beginning the end result was awesome and less time consuming. I don't want to sell my tank now. Before I would sell them before a year was had.

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Glad to see this thread. I have a 125-gallon community tank, planned around clown loaches (leporinus notwithstanding, although so far, so good). Also a 90-gallon cichlid, which I plan to replace with a 150-gallon when the opportunity presents (big tanks go cheap used). Both have been up for about two years. I'd like to do discus and/or saltwater but am intimidated, and in any case, two big tanks is enough--I'm not going to turn my house into a pet store. At the office, I set up a Fluval Chi a month ago, which is now home to Muhammad Ahi (a betta) Jerry Quarry (an albino cory cat) and the sparring partners (four neon tetras). I spend entirely too much time staring at it.

Keeping the tanks I have up and running and healthy is somewhat a chore, although manageable--weekly 25-percent water change and that's about it, although occasional crises develop. Re-arranged the community tank decor a few weeks ago, sending my African feather fin catfish in search of a new spot, and he now has belly abrasions from too much time behind the Fluval FX5 intake--he went into the hospital tank last night along with some Melafix, and I have crossed fingers.

After two years, I'm getting to the point where I think I know what I'm doing, although every tank is different, and I'm still getting a feel for the Chi (a couple sparring partners have gone down for the count). The tanks are in my home bar, and they proved a big hit at our last New Year's Eve party. Lotsa folks spent lotsa time looking, and I do the same thing myself.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

MAn. . . fuck fish. I must have killed dozens of the temperamental little fuckers before I threw in the towel.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

I thought saltwater was intimidating, too. But it has proven to be the easiest tank I've ever had to maintain. They key here is patience and not trying to cut corners or save a buck here and there. Marine tanks are such a hit that most visitors do much else than gaze upon our tank and ask tons of questions. Then leave wanting one.

Give it a shot by starting with a 20-30 gal tank to keep the initial spend low. Here's what you'd need for, say a 29H:

29 high tank - $30
    20lbs sand - $10
    1 50lb bag of salt mix - $20
    RO water filtration system to make pure water - $50-$100
    ~25lbs live rock (can be dead base rock which is what I started with, or you can order some semi cured rock) - $75
    2 pumps for flow - $30-$50
    skimmer rated for at least a 50 gal tank (I use a hang on Remora skimmer with a mj1200 pump) - $100
    Lighting (I use the el cheapo 4x24" T5HO fixture with ATI bulbs) - $50 + $80 for bulbs
    2 timers - $15
    3 buckets to mix/keep water - $15
    Saltwater test kit (high range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) - $20
    Reef test kit (calcium, Carbonate, Phosphate, Magnesium) - $30
    2-part Calcium dosing kit - $25
    Thermometer - $10
    Hydrometer - $10
    Submersible heater (I don't use one) - $20

These are the basics. Once you get past the first few months and your water has cleared up and your basic tests are coming back stable and favorable you can start adding fish & coral.

Here's bad pics of my 26BF after a year (right now the corals have grown more and the entire back wall is covered in purple coralline):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How it looked in the first month or so:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I had the same one for 10 years my parents told me..:crackup:

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Dude... this was my kids aquarium and he had a frog in it called Captain Croak (an apropos name as it turns out). We replaced him like 5 times and when he happen to notice that he was gone for a day or two or had grown a little we told him he had been in the "Frogspital."

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

I used to have 4 poison frogs in the same tank I pictured above after visiting the exhibit at the MNH. Then my kid got tired of them and my wife of the crickets escaping so we went reef again. Best...move...evar!

I've had multiple freshwater tanks inclusive of Peroon sharks, shovel nosed catfish, red tail catfish, Asian catfish, some brackish tanks with African cichlids and finally made the jump to saltwater. Here's a vid of me drilling my 40gal with fish in it!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. fleet on feet

fleet on feet Senior member

I used to have a 20 gallon long setup; 4x24 T5's for lighting and another 20 gallon system (sump) hidden on the bottom of the stand. I had some SPS, LPS and Zooanthids for coral and for fish I had a Yasha Haze Goby and a Helfrichi Firefish. Sadly, I had to take it down because I no longer had the time to take care of it as well as I wanted to. I really do miss it, it was beautiful to look at. I am considering making a 10 gallon tank with just a shrimp, Goby and maybe some Zooanthids because of the demands of this setup would be much easier. If anyone wants to see pictures of my old tank, just ask and I will post some in this thread!

15. NORE

NORE Senior member