• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any advice on what brands make jumpers similar to BRUNELLO CUCINELLI or Loro piana?

frasiercranes

Reaction score
The quality of Cucinelli sweaters is excellent. I have some Cucinelli sweaters that are 15 years old and have never pilled and, frankly, still look new.

If you want an alternative, check out The Row. Quality is outstanding.
Will check out the Row. Any others? What about Connolly?

4r36

Reaction score
As regards cashmere sweaters, I recommend Fedeli and Colombo.

Malo was as good as Brunello and Loro Piana only until when the company was sold some years ago. Now the quality is decreased a lot.

The same holds for Pringle and Ballantyne, which now are (badly made, imho) in Italy.

driving glove

Reaction score
Luca Faloni seem to offer good quality/price
I have both Cucinelli and Luca Faloni sweaters and like them both very much. I have the Faloni marine green cable knit and will probably pick up the nocciola brown version, both versatile, core pieces that should last a long time with care. I don't have the means to buy like I once could so I have to be more selective now, moving more towards the capsule wardrobe out of necessity. Not cheaper, but less, and supporting small businesses when I can.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A and S is good. I will check their new designs out. You won't believe it but Zegna offers a Max of 25 percent discount on sales in my country. So does canali as both of them have the same partner here. I went to the canali store in my city the other day and shirts start at 350 dollars here. Outrageous considering what their real price point abroad is.
As I said people here exclusively shop from Zegna and canali and don't know anything about any other brands. Cucinelli has recently opened but since we have large import duties the polo that I bought in Milan for 290 euros is selling at 500 euros. Totally unacceptable.
Where do you live? Probably best to shop in Europe and combine vacation with a little shopping pretty much all European designers are the cheapest in Europe, US is expensive but good discount can be found. Asia is usually really overpriced

frasiercranes

Reaction score
Where do you live? Probably best to shop in Europe and combine vacation with a little shopping pretty much all European designers are the cheapest in Europe, US is expensive but good discount can be found. Asia is usually really overpriced
It is true that Asia is overpriced. I live in India currently. We have no good brands here but have lived in Europe for 7 years. I hope to move to Switzerland once this crisis is over and hope there are some good places to shop from in the Lausanne area.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
I just mean brands that have similar aesthetics or designs
I also like, simple design but quality clothes. And for this category i have a lot of LP, Cucinelli, Malo, Lanificio Colombo but also tried N.Peal, Johnstons of Elgin and also 1 item from Fioroni
People also bought me as presents from Gobi and Luca Faloni
So to sum from my experience
Top tier - they feel luxurious and they can last you forever with proper care
- B Cucinelli (they dont do 1 ply in general) with almost no pilling even under the arm where is the first location where it will start pilling ( you can see that they reinforced the ply there with some extra fibre) all items are around 2 and some 3 years old...2 of them used for months
-LP baby cashmere is a little softer for the no cable knit items (for those with no pattern/texture)
again, no issues here (they dont reinforce or nothing is seen under the arm section) but the items from them just passed just 1 winter
- L Colombo very nice, same quality, they feel like a tank
Almost top tier
- Malo and N.Peal they are fine, good quality, but they will pill under your arms (but again, they are easy to remove with the cashmere item that they provide, so, no worries there either)
- Johnstons of Elgin and Fiorini are almost the best , too...i cant comment about Fiorini because my item is more of a jacket than a jumper (cashmere+suede) but very high quality, it feels that with care it can last you forever (same quality they provide for Cesare Attolini)

Now, with B Cucinelli , Loro Piana and Colombo i had the best customer support , and they always deliver with express, i got the items after just 1 day, and when i had issue with the size, the return/exchange was top notch

Now, speaking about those items from Gobi and Luca Faloni
Gobi is ok for its price, i wear my jumper 6-7 times and clean it twice...until now, its ok, good as new. Not as smooth and sturdy feeling like those from Top tier or almost top tier
A lot of choices and very good prices...i mean..at sales they are almost free
But...for cashmere jumpers under 400€, Luca Faloni is better thanks to its 2 ply...they usually dont do 1 ply. They feel sturdy but also not heavy, almost as light as Gobi 1 ply
Also a lot of choices there.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Theory is closer to COS/Reiss and The row imo than to Cucinelli , aesthetically speaking.. All of these fall under the "less is more" , "minimalistic chic" stuff, but it's just different from Brunello Cucinelli. BC is all about the outfit in its totallity, 1 piece from BC could look the same as Zara, but styling them in 1 coherent outfit is another story. It's mainly about mixing casual pieces with tailoring and this done in layering in soft color palettes (lots of off-whites, beige, camel etc.) with 1 base color (blue, brown, grey) or 1 pop color max.

The following brands adhere much more to the BC style imo aesthetically:
- Peserico
- Fradi
- Paul Taylor
- Eleventy
- Manzoni 24
- Christian Kimber
- Brett Johnson
- Ghiaia

These brands do not come cheap though. For budget options, I really would just cherry pick BC-similar pieces from Massimo Dutti. They have like few pieces each season that do remind me of BC. Buy basic BC-ish pieces from MD and then mix it with pieces from the above mentioned brands = magic.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads