Any advice on pocket squares?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teddieriley, Apr 11, 2006.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Does anyone have advice on what to look for in a pocket square (material, craftmanship, pricing, etc.) and have suggestions on where to get reasonably priced ones?

I figure I can just pick one up at Nordstrom, Macy's, or Bloomingdales. I just don't want to overpay for something so simple. Or what about ordering a $9.99 one on the web for a 100% silk one?

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does anyone have advice on what to look for in a pocket square (material, craftmanship, pricing, etc.) and have suggestions on where to get reasonably priced ones?

I figure I can just pick one up at Nordstrom, Macy's, or Bloomingdales. I just don't want to overpay for something so simple. Or what about ordering a $9.99 one on the web for a 100% silk one?

Yes, buy my cheapies in the sales forum.

Seriously, the key things to look for are handrolling and the quality of the silk. Excess bulk can be a concern too, particularly if you're planning to use the square with a lighter jacket.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I'm still looking for a decent linen one to pull off the Sean Connery as Bond look... so far my searches have come off with nothing that folds squarely well.

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Things to look for - hand rolled edge, (my preference) a contrasting edge, generally good quality silk.

5. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I agree. Most of my linen ones are too large! I wish I could reduce them by a third.

6. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

FIH had some nice linen ones, good size, nice material, plus he is a great guy to deal with.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

FIH had some nice linen ones, good size, nice material, plus he is a great guy to deal with.

I just got three white linen pocket squares in the mail from Jonathan yesterday. Good quality linen, hand-rolled edges, 12 x 12 so they fit better in my jacket pockets, and super-fast shipping. In the same shipment, I also got a blue-with white border linen square shown on his website. I'm wearing it today and I think it's going to become a favorite. See www.fourinhand.com.

For unique silk pocket squares, I like David Hober's Thai silks, www.mulberrywood.com. David also provides great service.