• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anxiety/Panic Attacks

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure there are other sufferers of this out there. Anyone manage to get it beat? If so, how? I am considering trying the Linden Method. I think smoking all that dope as a teenager and college student fucked my brain up.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I think smoking all that dope as a teenager and college student fucked my brain up.
From what I've heard, this might very well be the case if you did a lot of e. Cannabis shouldn't do that, I think.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cannabis is what I did. Didn't much care for anything else. According to what I've read though, smoking too much weed messes with your amygdala, resetting your stress/panic levels way too high. I believe it. Before, nothing seemed to phase me. Now, calling myself high strung is the understatement of the century.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anxiety and panic disorders are VERY treatable. Medication, therapy or some combination thereof works very well.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get to know your condition. DSM-IV-TR is where I would begin. Perhaps a talk therapist once a week. See if you can isolate a social stressor. As a last result, fluoxetine and other SSRIs have been proven effective adjunct therapies to cognitive therapy and eliminating social stressors.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend changing your avatar.

mano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I'm sure there are other sufferers of this out there. Anyone manage to get it beat? If so, how? I am considering trying the Linden Method. I think smoking all that dope as a teenager and college student fucked my brain up.

I know nothing about the Linden method, but EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is an effective method of treating a wide range of anxiety disorders. email me or pm me if you wish.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As johnapril says, there is abundant evidence to show that cognitive behavioral therapy and SSRI medications are effective treatments. Don't waste time and money with unproven approaches.

mano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
there is abundant evidence to show that cognitive behavioral therapy and SSRI medications are effective treatments. Don't waste time and money with unproven approaches.

I agree, C/B therapy is very effective, especially when combined with the correct medication(s).

As far as EMDR is concerned:

In 1998 an American Psychological Association task force declared that EMDR was one of three "probably efficacious treatments" for PTSD.

American Psychiatric Association (2004). Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Stress Disorder and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Acute Stress Disorder and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines.

"¢ EMDR was given the highest level of recommendation (category for robust empirical support and demonstrated effectiveness) in the treatment of trauma.
Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense (2004). VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Post-Traumatic Stress. Washington, DC.

"¢ EMDR was placed in the "A" category as "strongly recommended" for the treatment of trauma.

16 randomized controlled (and 8 nonrandomized) studies have been conducted on EMDR in the treatment of trauma.

Controled studies utilizing EMDR have generally focused on PTSD (Post-traumatic Stress Disorder), which is a form of anxiety and frequently involves panic attacks.

Check out this article:

http://www.fsu.edu/~trauma/a1v5i4.htm

By all means, do a Google search, but put more credence in scholarly articles.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a shrink and got on Zoloft, it helped, but I'd rather choose panic attacks over the way the drug made me feel in general. I have considered getting back on it...but for the "sexual side effects" mainly lol. That stuff turns me into quite a stud.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zoloft doesn't have the greatest side effect profile. You might ask your doctor about other SSRIs. Sometimes you have to experiment with different meds to see which one is right for you. CB therapy is widely available and is a form of therapy more likely to be paid for by insurers. EMDR may also be available.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
yeah i get them. my mom gets them too. is this a genetic thing?
coffee makes it worse for me.

i usually sporadically get them for a short period of time every couple of months. im not on any medication or seeing any therapists. i dont have medical insurance either so thats that.

i usually try to just lay off caffeine and take valerian extract and yeah bleh. o_O

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
And this is why I don’t do drugs… Jon.
no drugs no sex just mountain biking and your high post count huh Jon?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics