• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

ryanluo23

Reaction score
It looks delicious. What wax/ paste did you use?
saphir burgundy wax

How do you like the hawksbill compared to other AM lasts? I’ve been intrigued but some old posts mention how they look bulkier than other lasts.

I only have that one shoe from AM. it has been a steep learning curve. All the MTO are coming fast and furious :)

Zaos1

Reaction score
View attachment 1293789 Let’s play the how many AMs can u spot game

This brand (AM) is so wonderful!!! :inlove:
I know there are more expensive brands out there (John lobb, Edward green, Paolo scafora, for say some)... so I wonder if those more expensive brands are even higher in quality... or we reach a point where his prices are purely based on brand positioning :puzzled:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This brand (AM) is so wonderful!!! :inlove:
I know there are more expensive brands out there (John lobb, Edward green, Paolo scafora, for say some)... so I wonder if those more expensive brands are even higher in quality... or we reach a point where his prices are purely based on brand positioning :puzzled:

With JL, EG, GG, and most English GYW shoes, you are paying for the company's name, heritage, marketing/advertising expenses, and the last makers (designer) fees. So a similarly constructed AM shoe offers exceptional value since you are, at least, receiving comparable leather to those expensive brands and arguably a better constructed shoe.

If you begin to include Paolo Scafora, Stefano Bemer, StC, etc (so higher end constructed RTW HW shoes) you are probably paying for the construction and higher leather quality. AM does charge higher prices to compete with those brands (the HW RTW & MTM shoes), but expect to receive the crème de la crème of leather and construction.

At the $1200+ price range for a RTW (sometimes MTM) HW/HL shoe, mostly everyone offers you superior leather quality and construction. So AM would be chosen based on fit and last styling over say a StC.

AM really stands out against his competitors in the GYW arena. At the sub $700 range, he really offers true value, although here you'd also find EB and Vass in this price range. Head to head, AM should edge out most, if not all, higher priced GYW shoes.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t know how much marketing EG/GG does, but doesn’t seem like a lot, it’s just they can charge a premium.

I would take Argentum RTW over either personally because it fits me better and as far as I can tell same if not better leather/finishing. Construction to me is a token appreciation thing since I never had GW gemming failed on me and I personally couldn’t detect difference between my AW and HW (don’t have any GW from AM)

Also what really annoys me is even at deco level for GG, top drawer for EG (ie nearly $2k) I’m still getting GW...

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how much marketing EG/GG does, but doesn’t seem like a lot, it’s just they can charge a premium.

I would take Argentum RTW over either personally because it fits me better and as far as I can tell same if not better leather/finishing. Construction to me is a token appreciation thing since I never had GW gemming failed on me and I personally couldn’t detect difference between my AW and HW (don’t have any GW from AM)

Also what really annoys me is even at deco level for GG, top drawer for EG (ie nearly $2k) I’m still getting GW...

Yes.. it is a bit over priced.. but then you are paying for the last... nothing comes close to the balance of a EG last..

then u are paying for the assurance that the best hides are used without any defect and for the name of course

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would consider their (EG) impressive website and dedicated web designers part of the advertising. Many times I have heard, and read a lot of people quibble about AM's site. Either how the shoes look, not being as intuitive, more information and its placement. So, I would throw that in as advertising and marketing since their site really do sell their shoes.

Add in the fact of the premium pricing strategy to position the brand in a particular segment. You know that idea of higher price equals better quality. Voilà! Higher price.
Curious how Foster & Son's will stack up compared to them, especially with their newly built dedicated plant. Having met Simon Bolzoni and seen the shoes, should give JL, EG, and GG a run for their money. But that's for another thread.

@clee1982 hard to justify $2000 for GYW. Heck at that price, almost everything is MTM & HW/HL, even start to see Bespoke shoes in the fold.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decurion 3s for Wingtip Wednesday:

20191211_decurion3s.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would consider their (EG) impressive website and dedicated web designers part of the advertising. Many times I have heard, and read a lot of people quibble about AM's site. Either how the shoes look, not being as intuitive, more information and its placement. So, I would throw that in as advertising and marketing since their site really do sell their shoes.

Add in the fact of the premium pricing strategy to position the brand in a particular segment. You know that idea of higher price equals better quality. Voilà! Higher price.
Curious how Foster & Son's will stack up compared to them, especially with their newly built dedicated plant. Having met Simon Bolzoni and seen the shoes, should give JL, EG, and GG a run for their money. But that's for another thread.

@clee1982 hard to justify $2000 for GYW. Heck at that price, almost everything is MTM & HW/HL, even start to see Bespoke shoes in the fold.

is EG's website impressive, like any of those claiming selling direct from factory guy at ~$200 probably has similar website no? I doubt that cost a lot.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wonder why is it only in this thread bashing other brands to enhance AM brand? I dont see other thread bashing other brands like in this thread. It looks like more propaganda then anything else. I dont have any experience with AM myself, but its seems obvious that constantly some of you are bashing other brands to make AM look great.

Last edited:

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends what you mean by bashing. I can't speak for everybody on the thread, but I like Edward Green and G&G, John Lobb too. It's also just an undeniable fact that those English brands are for the most part more expensive than Meccariello. Personally I don't equate "Meccariello shoes have the same specs or better than the English brands" with "EG and JL suck" .

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont wanna bash any brand.. each brand has its place and each brand has it customers willing to pay for the products offered.

When u are dealing with anything 500 dollars plus, the price is to value proposition is never proportional.. and u have to pay significantly for incremental differences.

For example.. I love a split toe derby. AM makes a magnificent one. There is not doubting it. The last shape is modern. The materials used are great and the construction i superb.
But then the EG Dover is my all time favorite. Just because it is a timeless last. I would buy that any day. Coz even though it may not be value for money over the AM. The heart wants what the heart wants. And at this price point, u have to listen to your heart and do what gives u that joy.. Coz lets face it, none of these shoes at this price point are utilitarian or necessary. We buy them coz we love shoes. Not coz v desperately need them (Although i tell my wife that ?)

Most people dont realize there is a significant cost behind the R&D of a last. Refining it takes time and money. And companies have to make that money back as well. It is a business in the end. Hence certain brans charge premium for their designs and lasts.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also wouldn't consider this as "bashing", I am assuming they use JL/ EG/ GG as basis for comparison as they are some of the most famous brands and are widely known as the "best RTW"

I own AM and JL/ EG/ GG, I love all of them, they equally shared my love in my daily rotation.

From Aesthetic view, they are all great, and I don't think anyone would judge one to be better than the others based on the last.

However, there are some other stuff that you can actually compare in an Excel spreadsheet. such as construction (GYW vs Handwelted), SPI on the welt/ upper, Fiddleback-Waist/ Bevelled-Waist or not, handlasted or not? handsewn or not, Oak Bark Leather sole? and a lot of others.
A couple other stuff that can be compared also, maybe not as objective though, leather quality, finishing, ...

When I received my first Argentum Loafer from AM, I am impressed by the finishing, and I also found it has a very thin waist comparing with GG (non-Deco), of course, it's just a personal preference and I am not suggesting it's better. But I would feel more effort are spent in the manufacturing process and I appreciate that.

6DBD2F99-F90C-4E7E-85F0-E82037F5FFE3.jpeg

But at the end, even though on my own spreadsheet AM have a couple more wins, that doesn't stop me from loving JL/ EG/ GG/ ... and keep adding some of them to my "to buy list" (>.<), it's just I personally think AM has better "value" (in my standard only), but I still want to own some of the iconic styles from other brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads