• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Zaos1

Reaction score
So
Personally would just use a more common conditioner. I use Allen Edmonds leather conditioner and cleaner, but apparently they changed suppliers recently. I don't know how the new stuff performs. Some people here like Bick 4.

Cost me about $400 to send those StCs back to the workshop and have them recolored, but even then they had to take on a new color to hide the damage.

So in the case of Antonio Mecariello shoes... do you recomend avoid Renovateur?? Stick just with a good polish with Saphir cream and wax :stirpot:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So in the case of Antonio Mecariello shoes... do you recomend avoid Renovateur?? Stick just with a good polish with Saphir cream and wax :stirpot:

I don't have any experience with AM shoes. Generally, I don't really see any advantage to using Renovateur, only potential problems.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So

I use Bick 4 when I don't want to strip any color. It has worked great on my CS and StC.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I’m lazy so always ask Antonio to add vibram and metal toe tap.

I walk everywhere (nyc), personal experience is asphalt and gravel chew the sole more than whatever activity you do (longest I have walk in dress shoes was probably 10 miles, though more typical is perhaps 3 miles per day?)
Have you compared the AM with normal leather sole to a pair with the Vibram? How is the comfort of the Vibram?

spencert

Reaction score
Have you compared the AM with normal leather sole to a pair with the Vibram? How is the comfort of the Vibram?
I only install vibram on my first pair of AM. I only use metal toe taps on subsequent pairs. No difference in comfort if you ask me.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I only install vibram on my first pair of AM. I only use metal toe taps on subsequent pairs. No difference in comfort if you ask me.
Good to hear, my concern with Vibram inserts is that it would be Less comfortable.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I have had Vibram stick-on half sole added by Medallion on my Titanus line handwelted split-toe boots. As far as I can tell it does not affect comfort.

For rainy weather and abrasive ground conditions, Vibram insert could make a lot of sense. Antonio opined that it can save a lot of premature resole, as the insert can simply be replaced without damaging the sole - nevertheless I have yet to find a local cobbler able to replace Vibram insert for me...

unprocessed

Reaction score
I have had Vibram stick-on half sole added by Medallion on my Titanus line handwelted split-toe boots. As far as I can tell it does not affect comfort.

For rainy weather and abrasive ground conditions, Vibram insert could make a lot of sense. Antonio opined that it can save a lot of premature resole, as the insert can simply be replaced without damaging the sole - nevertheless I have yet to find a local cobbler able to replace Vibram insert for me...

Thanks. I’m curious how the Vibram insert also impacts wear around the toe since AM offers a Vibram + toeplate option. Does the Vibram protect the toe (unlike a leather sole)?

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally would just use a more common conditioner. I use Allen Edmonds leather conditioner and cleaner, but apparently they changed suppliers recently. I don't know how the new stuff performs. Some people here like Bick 4.

Cost me about $400 to send those StCs back to the workshop and have them recolored, but even then they had to take on a new color to hide the damage.

@dieworkwear , what do u use to clean these natural crust / hand patina shoes? any specific cleaner ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear , what do u use to clean these natural crust / hand patina shoes? any specific cleaner ?

I don't use anything, to be honest. For crust leather, I just use cream polish, sometimes with a wax polish depending on the shoes.

FWIW, when I saw Phillip Car of St. Crispins at a trunk show, I brought up the staining incident. He recommended that I never use Renovateur. Said it was too strong and that he's had many customers ruin their shoes with that conditioner. When I asked him what kind of conditioner I should use, he said he doesn't recommend using anything on his crust leather shoes except normal cream poolish.

demian

Reaction score
Hello

beautiful topic, on which I have paused several times with Antonio during my visits to the workshop.

Regarding the question of removing layers of wax from your shoes ,during one of my visit at workshop ,i asked to Antonio what to do about ,and his answer was :

Considering that all the wax cream for shoes have a solid part and liquid part ,we should use this concept
to uniform the excess of gloss that has formed.

In that case the liquid base of every shoes wax (a wax of quality i mean)
is the turpentine that you can find in every hardware
store ,in small bottle of 120 ML.more or less ,it dipends from where you live.

Using a small part of this liquid ,turpentine (similar when you use small water to shiny the shoes )
you haven't remove totally the wax ,but you should
massage, trying to use the old wax on the skin, to polish the shoes again(withouth using new wax)(use old wax to shiny the shoes ,you are recycling the old wax)

when The next time will be necessary to shiny the shoes,you should repeat this treatment until at last the wax start to coming off and will be necessary to put on new wax,in that case ,don't start with medaille d'or ,but with saphire Surphine)

Another suggestion in fact , is not to use saphire medaille d'or every time ,but to use daily
saphire Surphine,and
Medaille d'or one time for month or dipending how many times you worn your shoes.

I hope it can help someone get a better result

PS
Turpenthine smell is little stroing ,better to do in a separate room

Hello
I don't use anything, to be honest. For crust leather, I just use cream polish, sometimes with a wax polish depending on the shoes.

FWIW, when I saw Phillip Car of St. Crispins at a trunk show, I brought up the staining incident. He recommended that I never use Renovateur. Said it was too strong and that he's had many customers ruin their shoes with that conditioner. When I asked him what kind of conditioner I should use, he said he doesn't recommend using anything on his crust leather shoes except normal cream poolish.

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
It takes... some time. Their restock is often irregular. Email Angela and you may get some hints.

Catching the new RTW shoes when they freshly come out could be easier. Vastly popular models that run out of stock quickly also get restocked quickly (e.g. the Venator boots) but then there is still no guarantee. Or else one would have to go the difficult way of MTO.

One of my friends has been eyeing on a pair of Centurion for half a year now; he became so desperate that he almost just bought Edward Green Dover in Dark Oak instead. For special models requiring extra handwork the restock time is even more variable.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
So many Black Friday sales coming up in the next few days. I secretly hope AM does not have a sale if not it will derail all my planned expenditure. ?
Speaking of Centurions and corresponding STDs (the shoe type... ;)), there is a pretty good Sons of Henrey Pre-Black Friday sale now. Happy to share the 30% code if you guys like

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So many Black Friday sales coming up in the next few days. I secretly hope AM does not have a sale if not it will derail all my planned expenditure. ?
Speaking of Centurions and corresponding STDs (the shoe type... ;)), there is a pretty good Sons of Henrey Pre-Black Friday sale now. Happy to share the 30% code if you guys like

please share

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads