• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

RishaStyle

Reaction score
Need some help regarding AM lasts, I believe Antonio labels the last on the lining window inside the shoes. From my personal experience and the wonderful post by @shirtingfantasy , I find the label A88 stands for Argentum Soft Square and A89 for Argentum Hawksbill. Could anyone confirm this by looking into your shoes? My next question is if someone can help to identify A90 last.

A90 is the Argentum Round Last.

WilYa

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some sizing infos:
I had the luck to grab the Argentum Centurion from fellow AMer @RishaStyle
The shoes are truly stunning with the handstiched apron perfectly executed. Although still tolerable, I find it to fit slightly bigger than my other pair on the same sized last.
IMG_20191116_101048.jpg
Both are on Argentum Soft Square 6.5E, even on the pic you can see Centurion is a touch longer than Hastatus. I wonder this inconsistency has anything to do with pattern, i.e. derby vs. oxford

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both HW or AW? thought someone mentioned different line fits slightly different despite same last, support to be very marginal though

WilYa

Reaction score
Both HW or AW? thought someone mentioned different line fits slightly different despite same last, support to be very marginal though
I believe both are AW, another issue is that the lasted tree came with the Centurion is sz7 Soft Square, so maybe Antonio mislabelled the sizing as 6.5?

RishaStyle

Reaction score
I believe both are AW, another issue is that the lasted tree came with the Centurion is sz7 Soft Square, so maybe Antonio mislabelled the sizing as 6.5?

There appears to be two possibilities here. Possibly derbies tend to be more comfortable around the instep as the tongue is free and as a result your foot is able to move a little bit more in the derby than in the oxford or it could be that the shoe tree being slightly larger may have caused the toe to enlarge a little bit. Cant say certainly though.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I have three pairs of soft square. One suede Aeris u-cap (size 9.5) a pair Argentum Dux Centurion (size 9) and another Argentum Dux Equites captoe (size 9). Derbies are definately more forgiving and you can adjust the fit more easily.

Between the Centurion and the Equites, I do find the Equites slightly shorter and narrower as can be seen in the picts.

Attachments

• FB5E3B60-00F6-439A-9445-F94C3EE3CC5A.jpeg
    FB5E3B60-00F6-439A-9445-F94C3EE3CC5A.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 316C7C6C-9AE2-42EE-A1E8-F57EC4B5F3FA.jpeg
    316C7C6C-9AE2-42EE-A1E8-F57EC4B5F3FA.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 143

cliffordcaucus

Reaction score
I have three pairs of soft square. One suede Aeris u-cap (size 9.5) a pair Argentum Dux Centurion (size 9) and another Argentum Dux Equites captoe (size 9). Derbies are definately more forgiving and you can adjust the fit more easily.

Between the Centurion and the Equites, I do find the Equites slightly shorter and narrower as can be seen in the picts.

Is that the Equites model from Medallion shoes?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

AM tends to suggest a tree size +0.5 from shoe size, to ensure adequate stretch in order to reduce the wrinkles that appear with wear.

The size on the lining should be accurate.

When I got my first pair of MTO, I compared the two shoes and found their lengths to be slightly different (by a few mm). AM explained that the lasts were precisely made and the internal volumes are the same. So I assume the differences one sees on the outside across shoes/ models (on the same last and size) is due to the stiffeners, the uppers etc

Last edited:

RishaStyle

Reaction score
AM tends to suggest a tree size +0.5 from shoe size, to ensure adequate stretch in order to reduce the wrinkles that appear with wear.

The size on the lining should be accurate.

When I got my first pair of MTO, I compared the two shoes and found their lengths to be slightly different (by a few mm). AM explained that the lasts were precisely made and the internal volumes are the same. So I assume the differences one sees on the outside across shoes/ models (on the same last and size) is due to the stiffeners, the uppers etc

I see what you mean. AM did say that the last and upper are prepared electronically and is extremely extremely precise. Its quite possible that the difference may occur due to the thickness of the stiffener and/or upper unless the skiving is done precisely to the same measurement on each pair and the lasting has to be extremely precise as well. Anyway, i dont think im qualified enough to answer this.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I often walk on slick marble floors and noticed that my AMs still result in slippage even though the soles on my heels and front shoes are definitely worn in after several wears (even used scissors to scratch them up at first). Any idea on why the shoes are still slippery? I’m wondering if it’s because the fiddleback waist is making contact with the floor?

RishaStyle

Reaction score
I often walk on slick marble floors and noticed that my AMs still result in slippage even though the soles on my heels and front shoes are definitely worn in after several wears (even used scissors to scratch them up at first). Any idea on why the shoes are still slippery? I’m wondering if it’s because the fiddleback waist is making contact with the floor?

Do they metal toe tips? If yes, that is most likely the reason for slippage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads