• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that AM has some of the worst break in periods out of any brand i own but it shouldn't hurt your knees or soles. Instead, if there is pain, it should be coming from the thickness and stiffness of the leather, i.e. pain from the leather not yet conforming to your foot. Typically i would find some pain in my heel during the first 5-10 wears and because of this, i now make sure i wear new AMs on days where i walk minimally. Allows the shoe to mold to my foot while i sit at my desk all day.
If AMs are giving you pain 30 wears in or worse still after two years then it probably has got to do with an incorrect fit. Perhaps a last that is not suited to your foot? One width too small? half size too short?
Reading this I am quite shocked frankly. Why are you guys buying $600+ shoes if the fit is so poor. Am I just spoiled or got lucky with the variety of brands I have (JL, carmina, AE, CJ etc) ? This seems like a terrible agony to go through - including knee / heel pain - seriously? Of course the design is amazing, I do the like the look of AM. I am not trying to be insulting, really trying to understand it. This can't be normal.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my break in regime is pretty simple (regardless brand), I walk everywhere (nyc) and all day, it breaks in no more than three days...

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still breaking them in going on two years now...
They do not fit you and you will not break them in no matter how much or how long you are wearing them. Simply put the last is wrong for your feet.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reading this I am quite shocked frankly. Why are you guys buying $600+ shoes if the fit is so poor. Am I just spoiled or got lucky with the variety of brands I have (JL, carmina, AE, CJ etc) ? This seems like a terrible agony to go through - including knee / heel pain - seriously? Of course the design is amazing, I do the like the look of AM. I am not trying to be insulting, really trying to understand it. This can't be normal.

probably little to do with brand, more how the specific last works, I sold all my EG because they were relative poor fits...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They do not fit you and you will not break them in no matter how much or how long you are wearing them. Simply put the last is wrong for your feet.

+1, sometimes have to admit what doesn't work isn't going to work...

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good question. I for one never had any heel issues from AM, but I've only had 4 pairs. I did have issues in the toe area due to the thick leather.

I will say that, knee pain is definitely not normal or good. That's a huge red flag.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my break in regime is pretty simple (regardless brand), I walk everywhere (nyc) and all day, it breaks in no more than three days...
Sure, but in order to do that I would have to be pain free at least - maybe I am not tough enough for AM:)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good question. I for one never had any heel issues from AM, but I've only had 4 pairs. I did have issues in the toe area due to the thick leather.

I will say that, knee pain is definitely not normal or good. That's a huge red flag.
I give shoes a max of 2-4 minutes of casually walking in the store or at home on carpet if they don't feel absolutely comfortable I will not buy them...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sure, but in order to do that I would have to be pain free at least - maybe I am not tough enough for AM:)

might be last specific I have issue break in carmina (forest, tassel split toe loafer, end up sold for scrap money...), but no issue with AM out the box, took a bit longer for CJ and GG (2 days?)

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably little to do with brand, more how the specific last works, I sold all my EG because they were relative poor fits...
Same here. Absolutely loved my EG Inverness and Asquith, but the 888 last didn't fit my feet. The latter is one of my absolute favorite shoe models, but the last just didn't fit my feet. Same goes with Carmina's Simpson and Rain lasts. There're some absolutely gorgeous shoes made on those lasts, but they just weren't the right fit for me.

Now sticking to what is working for my feet. Never had any breaking in issues with Meccariello, Bestetti, C&J, G&G, Enzo Bonafe, Vass amongst others.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Has anyone had the issue of the opening of the shoe being very tight and digging into the sides of your ankles? I had this problem all day during the first wear of my Aeris soft square and it was really painful. Feels like the edges on the opening of the shoe is cutting into my ankle, and it’s caused blisters. For reference I used insoles. Any advice?

Attachments

• 9614429E-5228-4D8F-8B82-FBAB52885CCF.jpeg
    9614429E-5228-4D8F-8B82-FBAB52885CCF.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 74

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Yep +1 on the last having to suit your foot, that is really the key. Some pain the first few wears/weeks due to stiff and thick leather is not an issue as it becomes comfortable and moulds to your feet. I recall AM wanted his shoes to look sleek and stylish like typical Italian shoes but be built like tanks (which is quite the opposite from most Italian shoes that use thin flexible leather and don’t last). In the larger scheme of things and if you think about how long good handwelted shoes should and will last, a few weeks of break in is really nothing.
Having said that, I own Brand’s from at least 15 other makers and so far none use as thick leather as AM (not that thick leather is a good thing per se). AMs have their place in any wardrobe and so do other shoes like your carminas, aldens, c&js etc

ixk

Reaction score
Paolo Scafora estimates the break-in at about 20 hours of wear time. So if you need way more than that, look into stretching them at a cobbler or something.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Thanks. I figure my AMs (now three pairs and counting, all of which I’ve only worn 1-2 times) are going to have some tough break in period. The cutting at the sides of the ankles are definitely the worst experience so far, optimistic to hear this might be a normal thing and should go away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads