• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received by my first AM shoes, 1-a Decurion 2, In Black box calf Freudenberg, UK: 9,5E and they are too long for me. Would I have been better of choosing a different last or should I have gone down a size?

unprocessed

Reaction score
I received by my first AM shoes, 1-a Decurion 2, In Black box calf Freudenberg, UK: 9,5E and they are too long for me. Would I have been better of choosing a different last or should I have gone down a size?
Curious, did you size down a half from your normal US size or use their measurements guide?

Mh foot measurements are actually a bit smaller than my typical size posted on their website so I have the same concern about the shoes being too long/wide.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious, did you size down a half from your normal US size or use their measurements guide?

Mh foot measurements are actually a bit smaller than my typical size posted on their website so I have the same concern about the shoes being too long/wide.

I used their measurement guide and confirmed with them prior to ordering.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Encore i think in the past it was possible to buy on MrPorter, now they only sell Berluti polish as super luxury packs with socks and leather pouch

I do believe that the Berluti wax is a special formula made by Avel (Saphir is Avel as well, but they smell differently); the Berluti version seems easier to spread, more transparent and more tolerant to accidentally adding too big a dab of water.

Pure Polish smells good and (from what they state) is made from edible ingredients. It is the only polish my wife does not complain about.

Thanks, I saw that pack too, I love the bag but don't think I can afford it... there's also a website carries it, but only 3 colors

spencert

Reaction score
The chisel 2 is a strange last for me as well. UK10 was too big for me and UK9.5 too small. My suggestion would be soft square or hawksbill in UK9.5 or try UK9 in chisel 2.

SimplyStylin

Reaction score

I’m curious to know what size you wear in other popular brands. Im waiting on my first AM shoes, they confirmed 10uk for me on hawksbill and I wear a 9.5uk/10.5us in most brands

JLPII

Reaction score
I’m curious to know what size you wear in other popular brands. Im waiting on my first AM shoes, they confirmed 10uk for me on hawksbill and I wear a 9.5uk/10.5us in most brands

Here are the size I took in some brands:

AM Hawksbill Last UK 8.5
George Cleverley Loafers UK 8.5
Anthony Cleverley Bodie II UK 8.5
John Lobb 7000 Last UK 8
Gaziano & Girling KN14 Last UK 8.5
Enzo Bonafe 804 Last UK 8
Berluti Alessandro New Genova Last UK 8.5

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that pack too, I love the bag but don't think I can afford it... there's also a website carries it, but only 3 colors

I usually just go to their store to buy it... but guess that’s only possible if you have a store in your city.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9 in Carmina Rain last
42.5 Vass F last

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hum 9 in rain but 42.5 in F last, what’s your usual “problem” area?

I’m 42.5 on F from Vass,

9E UK in Chisel 2 from AM,
9F for soft square from AM

8.5 UK in Carmina Rain

8.5E UK in all CJ (341, 348 is getting a bit too tight in toe box but definitely cannot upsize to 9E UK length would be too long)

9E UK in MH71 from GG (TG73 is too tight, and again cannot up size as length gets too long)

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hum 9 in rain but 42.5 in F last, what’s your usual “problem” area?

I’m 42.5 on F from Vass,

9E UK in Chisel 2 from AM,
9F for soft square from AM

8.5 UK in Carmina Rain

8.5E UK in all CJ (341, 348 is getting a bit too tight in toe box but definitely cannot upsize to 9E UK length would be too long)

9E UK in MH71 from GG (TG73 is too tight, and again cannot up size as length gets too long)

We have practically identical feet :)

unprocessed

Reaction score
Wondering if people think the AM shoe tree are a necessity? Any cheaper third party trees that would be a good replacement for the soft square Argentum?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if people think the AM shoe tree are a necessity? Any cheaper third party trees that would be a good replacement for the soft square Argentum?

I would suggest that it is not critical to have lasted shoe trees if you have the corresponding 3rd party tree in a similar shape. So a rounded toed shoe tree with a rounded toed shoe.. etc..etc. I base that on my own personal experience with third party trees..

Not sure how soft that AM toe is compared to EGs 888 last. The reason I bring up that last (888) because I use AS's 724 square tree with those shoes. Fits well without deformation of my shoes. Have had it now in constant use for about 3 yrs. Positive about that as well is you can always find AS trees for sale. I believe A Fine Pair of Shoes has some for sale as we speak.

cliffordcaucus

Reaction score

Necessary, no but certainly recommended that your shoe tree follow the shape of your shoe in order to maintain that shape. Two easily visible purposes for shoe trees are to straighten your sole, and to fight creasing. A generic shoe tree may straighten your sole but also slightly deform the heel of your shoe because the generic shoe tree has a strong spring to correct for fitting all lasts regardless of cm length differences. A generic shoe tree might not fill the vamp or sides of shoes completely (or fill them too much) leading to more creasing of the leather or warping of the shoe’s leather. AM makes it easy and fairly cheap, compared to JL or Saint Crispin’s, to get a lasted shoe tree for your 500+ Euro priced shoes. My thought is always that if I’m paying so much for a pair of shoes, I wouldn’t begin to cut costs at the very important shoe tree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads