• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

frighter3

Reaction score
oooo... tempting but I better tone down my purchases the next few months. I have just added four new pairs in the past month plus I am running out of space in my house! Perhaps I need to move to a bigger place soon. ?
:):)

No need to be in hurry as they currently could not produce until Sep, you still have time;);)

Zaos1

Reaction score
It removes both, rather safely. So I did not even bother to buy the high shine coat cleaner from Boot Black Japan. But the smell of pure turpentine is very strong, and my domestic "wife acceptance factor" for that is quite low. Saphir clear cream contains less turpentine by volume/ weight (as it has wax and other stuff), so smell is accordingly not as strong.

For soft cleaning I prefer clear cream. For stripping all wax I rub vigorously with a cotton cloth and turpentine. I found that using cotton balls I tend to over-saturate shoes with the solvent (making them "wet" and difficult to polish.

Please remember to do either in a well-ventilated area. :)

I know a friend who Can Giftme some pure turpentine ?; any recomendation before use it?? xD

Things like, use low amounts like reno mat? Any risk of remove finish? or let dry the shoes for an overnight before polish routine?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I know a friend who Can Giftme some pure turpentine ?; any recomendation before use it?? xD

Things like, use low amounts like reno mat? Any risk of remove finish? or let dry the shoes for an overnight before polish routine?

The turpentine I use is from the local pharmacy. I guess the painter's kind should also work - just a tad more expensive.

1. No need to use Renomat before that. Just clean shoe surface with a slightly damp cloth, air dry, and start "stripping".

2. The good thing about turpentine is that it is quite volatile. It dries quickly so you can actually proceed to polish say 15 minutes after stripping the wax. Then, of course, it absolutely depends on how "wet" your shoes were during the polish removal process.

I think the chance of it removing leather finish is lower than Renomat (from my limited experience). At least my AM shoes were safe in my rough hands :p

Last edited:

Zaos1

Reaction score
The turpentine I use is from the local pharmacy. I guess the painter's kind should also work - just a tad more expensive.

1. No need to use Renomat before that. Just clean shoe surface with a slightly damp cloth, air dry, and start "stripping".

2. The good thing about turpentine is that it is quite volatile. It dries quickly so you can actually proceed to polish say 15 minutes after stripping the wax. Then, of course, it absolutely depends on how "wet" your shoes were during the polish removal process.

I think the chance of it removing leather finish is lower than Renomat (from my limited experience). At least my AM shoes were safe in my rough hands :p

thanks so much!!

looking around for mirror shine remove methods, i found this one on youtube, may be i will mix this with the turpentine method, what do you, and all the group think about this one??:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
thanks so much!!

looking around for mirror shine remove methods, i found this one on youtube, may be i will mix this with the turpentine method, what do you, and all the group think about this one??:

I tend to think Renomat for solid black boxcalf is okay, but for patina leather, it still makes me feel a bit insecure after my Bontoni incident...

Accidentally saw this from PS. The white spirits Simon referred to could be mineral turpentine or petroleum distillate. I think mineral turpentine and real turpentine should both work - just that the latter feels less hazardous :)

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vodka worked fine for me to remove wax mirror finish.

I also used Saphir neutral wax- apply and rub furiously. the extra solvent in the neutral wax paste willremove the excess wax.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I wish Antonio can make something in this colour in his annual limited edition Aurum RTW...

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
@shirtingfantasy where can we buy the Aurum RTW?

Has to email Antonio/ Angela direct. Medallion has some very limited stock as well (not their regular offering anyway). This is the one I got from Antonio in 2018:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads