• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Recently got my RTW Aurum, Lucius 2, on the Aurum chisel. I can say the fit and comfort is the best I've had thus far in a pair of leather shoes. I wanted to get some pictures to share for this thread before I wear these babies three times a week. Thank you to Angela for putting up with me under AM's busy schedule. View attachment 1201018 View attachment 1201019 View attachment 1201020 View attachment 1201021 View attachment 1201022 View attachment 1201023 View attachment 1201024 View attachment 1201025

While the sole finish isn't piano lacquer like Eiji Murata, the pure black finish is still impressive. Not to mention the leather quality is so good that it's hard to go back once you have a pair of Aurum...

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Aurum project in the making. I have the feeling that suede wholecuts are undervalued, so decided to use this new model for my Aurum MTM.

1. Cutting was complete earlier this week.
View attachment 1185882

2. Stitching was also done yesterday. The colour of this second picture is a little affecting by the lighting condition I think. The nap is extremely fine and the colour very rich (refer to the first photo).
View attachment 1185883

An update

Aurum suede faux quarter brogues on modified last. Antonio moved the seam at the throat a bit higher. "It's always unique... for my customer", he said.

And this is my black Legate in progress. Using vintage Annonay black boxcalf from Antonio's archive (looks greyish due to reflection). Anyone interested in vintage leather is advised to approach him early - he indicated that some of his vintage calf leathers are already at extremely low stock levels. So act before big shops like Medallion scoop all that remains :p

Last edited:

cliffordcaucus

Reaction score
While the sole finish isn't piano lacquer like Eiji Murata, the pure black finish is still impressive. Not to mention the leather quality is so good that it's hard to go back once you have a pair of Aurum...

I would love to own a pair of Main.d.or shoes one day. Murata's full brogue oxford is gorgeous and lives in my fantasies along with a pair of Hiro Yanagimachi shoes.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

I don't. Although I bought for my friend (whose Tribunus took free ride with my shoes).

Initially there was some tightness over his (lateral) ankle area, but comfortable after breaking-in (4-5 wears). Let me ask him how he feels when I meet him later.

andreasky

Reaction score
Any experience with Saint Crispin? How do you compare them with Antonio Meccariello in terms of leather quality and confort?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Any experience with Saint Crispin? How do you compare them with Antonio Meccariello in terms of leather quality and confort?

I like their shoe trees, very exquisitely made:

As for their leather, I guess one may need my tolerance for shirt wrinkles... (I don’t really like coarse wrinkles on leather, however)

Disclaimer: I desire St Crispins MTM and plan to have them made later this year, and the shoes below aren’t mine. They belong to The Armoury, HK. I took both photos myself.

3FF1CD57-87B2-410D-9E40-0F60B699978A.jpeg

B80B57B6-B081-46FD-A9F0-8E7BBE003000.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF has it right with wrinkling, particularly if you go with St.C's CRU (crust) calf. It isn't for me, to say the least. Their ANI (aniline) is quite nice, however.
Either way, I'd rather AM as the superior product...which is not at all a critique of St.C.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Thank you.
What about suede used by St Crispin Vs Meccariello?

Haha you know the way to tackle the leather issue ?
As long as you can stick to Janus reverse calf by Charles F Stead, you are safe. Actually if one looks at the relative prices of leather from retailers, one can understand why makers skim on some types of leather but not other kinds of leathers -

(This is a quote I got from AA Crack and Sons some time ago. I was getting some leather to have some small leather items done by independent makers in Asia. )

1. J&FJ BAKER RUSSIAN CALF - RUSSIAN BROWN - 1.8/2.0mm @ £21.50 per SqFt
2. FREUDENBERG BOX CALF - C732 - 1.0/1.2mm @ £12.58 per SqFt
3. CFS JANUS REVERSE SUEDE CALF - ADMIRAL - 1.4/1.6mm @ £10.25 per SqFt
4. ZONTA MUSEUM CALF - 2209 - 1.3/1.5mm @ £11.61 per SqFt

4564240E-6877-4E70-AB97-CE9646748DAD.png

Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently got my RTW Aurum, Lucius 2, on the Aurum chisel. I can say the fit and comfort is the best I've had thus far in a pair of leather shoes. I wanted to get some pictures to share for this thread before I wear these babies three times a week. Thank you to Angela for putting up with me under AM's busy schedule. View attachment 1201018 View attachment 1201019 View attachment 1201020 View attachment 1201021 View attachment 1201022 View attachment 1201023 View attachment 1201024 View attachment 1201025
Sweet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads