• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First wear of the lazymans (Reed in black Vesuvio calf) I bought on the Black Friday deal from The Sabot. I'm typically a 42.5. Confirmed that I have to go up to 9.5UK for AM shoes due to my wide forefeet. People say to take your Edward Green size for Meccariello but I find Edward Green (808, 82 last at least) to be wider at the same size, but I think it's good sizing advice in general.

20181201_135625.jpg

20181201_135702.jpg

20181201_135639.jpg

20181201_140034.jpg

20181201_140020.jpg

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
What is the surcharge in Euro from Argentum to Argentum Handwelted?
Thanks

For some, this may sound like "too-lazy-to-google" - but the question is actually way more difficult to answer than some may think. :blush:

Argentum Handwelted surcharge depends on a number of factors. I list all those I know:

1. Are you ordering through a shop (e.g. Yeossal, Medallion), direct from Antonio or through some GMTO here?

- Handwelted through a shop: surcharge would depend on how well the owner knows you. I have a pair of handwelted from FineShoesHK pending. The difference was quite small for my particular order (EUR 180) so I proceeded with handwelted anyway.

- Direct from Antonio: you need to ask him directly. Don't be afraid to email their customer service - Angela usually responds quickly.

- GMTO: rate differs per GMTO, and honestly I couldn't quote you an exact number. You can read through this thread - I believe indicative numbers are here.

2. The exact model you are ordering

- I believe it varies somewhat by shoe design and it is not always a flat surcharge.

- The Argentum-welted all start at different prices, but their differences narrow down if you go handwelted (as they somehow all start at EUR 900 ex-VAT). This, mathematically, implies a variable surcharge (if you want to be very precise).

- But to echo what many have said: Antonio is a very fair person, and he does all these for good reason. When you pay a higher price, you can reasonably expect a higher quality product.

3. Whether you can accept ready-to-wear or outlet pairs

- On Antonio's outlet page (here: http://www.meccarielloshoes.it/product/outlet/) and those of his resellers you can find handwelted pairs. Those are some of the best deals you can find. Could be an excellent opportunity for you to try out his handwelted range if you have not purchased any of his shoes before.

- The handwelted pairs from resellers often include lasted shoe trees (e.g. form Yeossal)

- The end equation is very complicated. You add handwelted surcharge somehow, and get additional lasted shoe trees in the package. What actually is the surcharge? I really don't know...

In any case, don't be afraid to contact their CS. Yes, because of his recent China trunkshow they may be busy and take a while to respond, but nothing from even the most loyal customer here can replace the official reply from Angela/ Antonio regarding the exact offer, "just for you" (as they like to say :bigstar:).

P.S. Care to share with us what shoe design you have in mind? I remember you want something suitable for rainy weather?

Cheers!

andreasky

Reaction score
For some, this may sound like "too-lazy-to-google" - but the question is actually way more difficult to answer than some may think. :blush:

Argentum Handwelted surcharge depends on a number of factors. I list all those I know:

1. Are you ordering through a shop (e.g. Yeossal, Medallion), direct from Antonio or through some GMTO here?

- Handwelted through a shop: surcharge would depend on how well the owner knows you. I have a pair of handwelted from FineShoesHK pending. The difference was quite small for my particular order (EUR 180) so I proceeded with handwelted anyway.

- Direct from Antonio: you need to ask him directly. Don't be afraid to email their customer service - Angela usually responds quickly.

- GMTO: rate differs per GMTO, and honestly I couldn't quote you an exact number. You can read through this thread - I believe indicative numbers are here.

2. The exact model you are ordering

- I believe it varies somewhat by shoe design and it is not always a flat surcharge.

- The Argentum-welted all start at different prices, but their differences narrow down if you go handwelted (as they somehow all start at EUR 900 ex-VAT). This, mathematically, implies a variable surcharge (if you want to be very precise).

- But to echo what many have said: Antonio is a very fair person, and he does all these for good reason. When you pay a higher price, you can reasonably expect a higher quality product.

3. Whether you can accept ready-to-wear or outlet pairs

- On Antonio's outlet page (here: http://www.meccarielloshoes.it/product/outlet/) and those of his resellers you can find handwelted pairs. Those are some of the best deals you can find. Could be an excellent opportunity for you to try out his handwelted range if you have not purchased any of his shoes before.

- The handwelted pairs from resellers often include lasted shoe trees (e.g. form Yeossal)

- The end equation is very complicated. You add handwelted surcharge somehow, and get additional lasted shoe trees in the package. What actually is the surcharge? I really don't know...

In any case, don't be afraid to contact their CS. Yes, because of his recent China trunkshow they may be busy and take a while to respond, but nothing from even the most loyal customer here can replace the official reply from Angela/ Antonio regarding the exact offer, "just for you" (as they like to say :bigstar:).

P.S. Care to share with us what shoe design you have in mind? I remember you want something suitable for rainy weather?

Cheers!
Thank you very much for your detailed comments.
Yes, I am looking for something to wear during rain. I have in mind Principes 3 in dark brown suede with Vibram (dainite) sole. I found Tribune 2 in RTW in dark brown suede and Vibram (kainite). It seems good for fall and winter. But I do not have any idea about summer.
Would it be too warm? Thanks

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your detailed comments.
Yes, I am looking for something to wear during rain. I have in mind Principes 3 in dark brown suede with Vibram (dainite) sole. I found Tribune 2 in RTW in dark brown suede and Vibram (kainite). It seems good for fall and winter. But I do not have any idea about summer.
Would it be too warm? Thanks

Meccariello uses mostly Janus calf, which leather merchants like AA Crack and Sons refer to as "the finest suede available" (http://www.aacrack.co.uk/tannnage-ranges/charles-f-stead-co-ltd/janus-calf.html). It is thick and firm - quite unlike the cheaper split suede used by some other makers (mainly for the very soft feel on initial wear, and more importantly for the low cost).

On the flip side, Janus calf is quick thick. Depending on your regional climate it may indeed feel a bit warm. For reference, in subtropical Hong Kong (where I am based), where the temperature can easily go up to 35 deg Celsius and humidity 80% on a rainy day in summer, Janus calf plus the necessary leather lining in the shoe may add up to substantial thickness. For this issue, I have actually consulted Antonio, and he said he can try to provide a thinner lining to mitigate this heat issue. I may try that option in my next pair. Any input from SG-based members is appreciated (their weather being the ultimate test for heat tolerance in footwear) :worship:.

For your specific combination, I would actually suggest you try his ready to wear Equites first (http://www.meccarielloshoes.it/product/equites-2/), to see if you like his construction and the total thickness of Janus calf + standard lining in general. The soft square last is classic and elegant, and the overall look isn't too far from the Principles 3 you proposed as well. After the pair you will understand his lasts better and feel confident in proceeding to a more substantial investment of a handwelted pair, an Aurum pair, or a bespoke pair, so to speak... :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Edit - I missed your initial wish for dark brown suede. The Equites RTW is more like tobacco - but this will exactly give you the reason to proceed to another dark brown pair, with rubber sole right?

Last edited:

andreasky

Reaction score
Meccariello uses mostly Janus calf, which leather merchants like AA Crack and Sons refer to as "the finest suede available" (http://www.aacrack.co.uk/tannnage-ranges/charles-f-stead-co-ltd/janus-calf.html). It is thick and firm - quite unlike the cheaper split suede used by some other makers (mainly for the very soft feel on initial wear, and more importantly for the low cost).

On the flip side, Janus calf is quick thick. Depending on your regional climate it may indeed feel a bit warm. For reference, in subtropical Hong Kong (where I am based), where the temperature can easily go up to 35 deg Celsius and humidity 80% on a rainy day in summer, Janus calf plus the necessary leather lining in the shoe may add up to substantial thickness. For this issue, I have actually consulted Antonio, and he said he can try to provide a thinner lining to mitigate this heat issue. I may try that option in my next pair. Any input from SG-based members is appreciated (their weather being the ultimate test for heat tolerance in footwear) :worship:.

For your specific combination, I would actually suggest you try his ready to wear Equites first (http://www.meccarielloshoes.it/product/equites-2/), to see if you like his construction and the total thickness of Janus calf + standard lining in general. The soft square last is classic and elegant, and the overall look isn't too far from the Principles 3 you proposed as well. After the pair you will understand his lasts better and feel confident in proceeding to a more substantial investment of a handwelted pair, an Aurum pair, or a bespoke pair, so to speak... :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Edit - I missed your initial wish for dark brown suede. The Equites RTW is more like tobacco - but this will exactly give you the reason to proceed to another dark brown pair, with rubber sole right?
Thank you for your suggestions.
I live in Tuscany (Italy) where temperatures vary a lot over the year. Tribune 2 is made in reverse calf by Tanneries Rux. I do not know the differences between this kind of suede and Janus.
Equites 2 is certainly a beautiful model. I had looked at it. However, I am looking for a simpler style without any brogue. My other concern about Equites 2 is the sole in the sense that is in leather and I do not know how it performs against rain.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I live in Tuscany (Italy) where temperatures vary a lot over the year. Tribune 2 is made in reverse calf by Tanneries Rux. I do not know the differences between this kind of suede and Janus.
Equites 2 is certainly a beautiful model. I had looked at it. However, I am looking for a simpler style without any brogue. My other concern about Equites 2 is the sole in the sense that is in leather and I do not know how it performs against rain.

My bad - I didn’t read carefully about the leather...

His oak bark tanned leather sole is okay for light rain, provided you dry your shoes thoroughly after exposure to water; then of course, vibram is your safer bet...

evangel21

Reaction score

If you order the Equites 2 from his webshop you can choose to add Vibram to the leather sole at an upcharge

andreasky

Reaction score
If you order the Equites 2 from his webshop you can choose to add Vibram to the leather sole at an upcharge
Yes, I had found that option. In this case it is a layer of rubber not as thin as a Vibram/Dainite sole. Anyway the appearance of the leather sole by AM is awesome!
Thanks.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vibram insert is thin enough you can’t tell when wearing it (unlike dainite which is quite obvious)

andreasky

Reaction score
Vibram insert is thin enough you can’t tell when wearing it (unlike dainite which is quite obvious)
Sorry, I meant that the Vibram insert is not as thick as Vibram sole to protect against rain

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter in my opinion, you’re not hiking in them

evangel21

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter in my opinion, you’re not hiking in them

+1

Furthermore, there are parts of the shoe that will be soaked with rain. The Vibram insert does a good job protecting against wet floors. Nothing else will protect the overall shoe from rain except a shoe cover. Or suede shoe with tarragon sprayed.

sd2002

Reaction score
I have three Aurum and 2 Argentines. Both are excellent. However the difference is like comparing business class and first class on airplane. Business is class is better than most and it is all you think you need however when you make the jump to first class you noticed that there is a difference more than you ever though. Some pic below

Thanks, yes, read that on his website too :)

It all sounds great but I guess, on a practical level, it would be helpful to hear from someone who has bought both Argentum HW and Aurum to comment on differences between both models. Only raising it because a few guys have mentioned the Aurum line recently so it piqued my interest.[/QUOT

D2E75889-C080-469D-86FD-107396958EAC.jpeg

99789BEF-9D30-4B2A-B322-B0A1B324F559.jpeg

sd2002

Reaction score
I have three Aurum and 2 Argentines. Both are excellent. However the difference is like comparing business class and first class on airplane. Business is class is better than most and it is all you think you need however when you make the jump to first class you noticed that there is a difference more than you ever though. Some pic below

Thanks, yes, read that on his website too :)

It all sounds great but I guess, on a practical level, it would be helpful to hear from someone who has bought both Argentum HW and Aurum to comment on differences between both models. Only raising it because a few guys have mentioned the Aurum line recently so it piqued my interest.[/QUOT

6194FFC4-3346-444D-9625-CD47A05BA127.jpeg

2D81B3D6-3358-4049-926C-C432CD031C47.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads