• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
I always thought servicing watches regularly (i.e. before they stop ticking) is a complete waste of money. The service costs are almost always flat fees and involve anything necessary to get the movement working again. It's the equivalent of a shoemaker recommending that the sole be replaced every year regardless of use or condition.
Depends on the movement.
For something like an ETA movement, they should be able to replace pretty much everything within the flat fee.

For more esoteric in house movements (AP, PP, VC etc), delaying the service until something breaks can cause irreversible damage to some components that will have to be made to order. That = $€£

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought servicing watches regularly (i.e. before they stop ticking) is a complete waste of money. The service costs are almost always flat fees and involve anything necessary to get the movement working again. It's the equivalent of a shoemaker recommending that the sole be replaced every year regardless of use or condition.
Depends on the movement.
For something like an ETA movement, they should be able to replace pretty much everything within the flat fee.

For more esoteric in house movements (AP, PP, VC etc), delaying the service until something breaks can cause irreversible damage to some components that will have to be made to order. That = $€£

Agree with @ViaSartoria. With some more complicated (not even the truly high end stuff) movements it can become quite expensive to service. Once they have to go back to Switzerland or Germany, it hurts to pay it.

TBF, brand new watches require service like every 6 or 7 years. Depending on rotation, possibly even longer. Like shoes though, how you wear your watch and how often puts stress on that movement causing it to be serviced earlier or more frequently.

I certainly don't agree with their recommendations to take it yearly to check on it, except for an overview so it keeps time accurately and yes on a pressure check for a diver.
I probably wouldn't wait until it altogether stopped ticking though.

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
The real killer of mechanical watches is when the lubricant dries and the metal parts grind against each other. Modern lubricants will work problem free for 7-10 years, but it’s best to not push your luck much beyond that. The service window is much shorter for vintage watches.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real killer of mechanical watches is when the lubricant dries and the metal parts grind against each other. Modern lubricants will work problem free for 7-10 years, but it’s best to not push your luck much beyond that. The service window is much shorter for vintage watches.

Definitely. That's the reasoning behind me thinking 6 to 7 years before a service is required (on a new piece that is).

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
305CED5D-C71B-49F4-96C6-64ECED495640.jpeg

Masterchef Antonio is busy in the kitchen…

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you and indeed, that’s a Centurion handwelted in peccary and a custom patina.
Maestro says he has never done this color on peccary before, so if it becomes a sleeper hit, you saw it here first! :D

Been on the hunt for a lower priced construction method of that Centurion, thus far the search has been unsuccessful.

So if one of you boys are sick of your UK 9 Centurions do let me know. I'd take pretty much any color as long as it's Brown. And not Cucumber brown or yellow pepper brown or eggplant brown. I'm looking for grizzly bear brown.

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
Been on the hunt for a lower priced construction method of that Centurion, thus far the search has been unsuccessful.

So if one of you boys are sick of your UK 9 Centurions do let me know. I'd take pretty much any color as long as it's Brown. And not Cucumber brown or yellow pepper brown or eggplant brown. I'm looking for grizzly bear brown.
If I’m not mistaken, he used to have the calfskin version of it as ready to wear in his shop. Can’t remember the price but definitely lower than peccary. Maybe he’ll restock them? No harm in asking.

Another thing I noticed, Antonio’s sole work for the new handwelted models is a step up from old Argentum and closer to Aurum (Soles are still machine stitched but that’s no issue for me, and what I prefer). So definitely some value add there.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, he used to have the calfskin version of it as ready to wear in his shop. Can’t remember the price but definitely lower than peccary. Maybe he’ll restock them? No harm in asking.

Another thing I noticed, Antonio’s sole work for the new handwelted models is a step up from old Argentum and closer to Aurum (Soles are still machine stitched but that’s no issue for me, and what I prefer). So definitely some value add there.

I think he should still have it, at least it was on there like a month or so ago.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
just had a bit of a laugh. price 750+vat. and at the same time "Price includes VAT (For non EU customers the VAT is removed during checkout)"

shoes83

Reaction score
just had a bit of a laugh. price 750+vat. and at the same time "Price includes VAT (For non EU customers the VAT is removed during checkout)"
Have to check out to find out! By then you'll probably end up buying it anyway. Great Italian-style sales techniques...

Rimaarts

Reaction score
Have to check out to find out! By then you'll probably end up buying it anyway. Great Italian-style sales techniques...
but on the other hand if what I'm reading makes almost 400£ difference on a 700£ shoes, somehow I don't think I will.. (either 500 if I have to minus vat or 1000 if I have to add vat). shoes have moved to "want" category away from "need". different stuff for wardrobe is more important currently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads