• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was recently having a conversation about high end watches, and the undisclosed fees (as it relates to service charges) one incurs. It isn't something that is often talked about by retailers or watch owners. Sadly, it is an unavoidable charge.

Somewhat related, hand-welted shoes are the epitome of shoe craftsmanship. Its virtues are applauded and advertised by craftsman, shoe experts, enthusiasts, informed shoe owners, and your curious shoe reader. Many, if not all, use the shoe's construction as part of an argument to quantify value (something quite difficult to describe or nail down).

One aspect of this holy construction method that isn't spoken about is the added cost of handsewn soles. That characteristic of them being handsewn is important to the shoe's overall aura of it being the gold standard of craftsmanship.

Is it truly necessary? No. It's the finishing touch in further bragging about your shoes. Should you look for it? Depends. As the watch servicing fee, recrafting will (at some point) need to occur. It is inevitable and unavoidable. As the watch servicing fee, it isn't often spoken about.

AMs are a great value (no doubt), but are they still a great value when you have to send the shoes back to Italy while incurring both shipping costs and service costs?
For example, your soles are handsewn and your shoes HW. You pay $1000 for 'em. When the time comes you'd need to fork over another (estimated) $300 dollars. Nearly the price or more of many GYW shoes out in the market.

I can't decide for anyone whether you'd require handsewn soles, but what I can do is implore you to consider the additional costs involved when you need to search for either a Cobbler who can handsew soles or the added costs of sending them back to the original maker.

A machine sewn sole is just as good and it is much easier to find a local guy who can take care of that for you when the time comes.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was recently having a conversation about high end watches, and the undisclosed fees (as it relates to service charges) one incurs. It isn't something that is often talked about by retailers or watch owners. Sadly, it is an unavoidable charge.

Somewhat related, hand-welted shoes are the epitome of shoe craftsmanship. Its virtues are applauded and advertised by craftsman, shoe experts, enthusiasts, informed shoe owners, and your average shoe reader. Many, if not all, use the shoe's construction as part of an argument to quantify value (something quite difficult to describe or nail down).

One aspect of this holy construction method that isn't spoken about is handsewn soles. That characteristic is critical to the shoe's overall selling point of it being the gold standard of craftsmanship.

Is it necessary? No. It's the finishing touch in further bragging about your shoes. Should you look for it? Depends. As the watch servicing fee, recrafting will (at some point) need to occur. It is inevitable and unavoidable. As the watch servicing fee, it isn't spoken about.

AMs are a great value (no doubt), but are they still a great value when you have to send the shoes back to Italy while incurring both shipping costs and service costs?
For example, your soles are handsewn and your shoes HW. You pay $1000 for 'em. When the time comes you'd need to fork over another (estimated) $300 dollars. Nearly the price or more of many GYW shoes out in the market.

I can't decide for anyone whether you'd require handsewn soles, but what I can do is implore you to consider the additional costs involved when you need to search for either a Cobbler who can handsew soles or the added costs of sending them back to the original maker.

A machine sewn sole is just as good and it is much easier to find a local guy who can take care of that for you when the time comes.
Just a thought.
By the time you need a resole, the price for the same pair has probably increased by the cost of a resole or more haha.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very true, those purchases are definitely not "one and done".

Then there's the argument of having too many shoes - one would never get to the point of needing resoling services on any given pair... ?

That's definitely true. More shoes means less of a likelihood for a resole. Although, we can also say a recraft may be ~$300 while brand new shoes are ~$???.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Somewhat related, hand-welted shoes are the epitome of shoe craftsmanship. Its virtues are applauded and advertised by craftsman, shoe experts, enthusiasts, informed shoe owners, and your curious shoe reader. Many, if not all, use the shoe's construction as part of an argument to quantify value (something quite difficult to describe or nail down).

One aspect of this holy construction method that isn't spoken about is the added cost of handsewn soles. That characteristic of them being handsewn is important to the shoe's overall aura of it being the gold standard of craftsmanship.

Is it truly necessary? No. It's the finishing touch in further bragging about your shoes. Should you look for it? Depends. As the watch servicing fee, recrafting will (at some point) need to occur. It is inevitable and unavoidable. As the watch servicing fee, it isn't often spoken about.

Just a thought.
Just to add some numbers here for perspective since last spring/summer, I had two shoes sent back for refurbishment.

Saint Crispins (handwelted, not sure about sole attachment) - € 295 for a new half sole and heels

Crockett and Jones (GYW) - £125 for a full resole and relasted to a half size smaller

unprocessed

Reaction score
Gave the hatch grain Armiticos a little shine.

Attachments

• A016788C-B6C9-478F-A6D2-F76A8206B1CB.jpeg
    A016788C-B6C9-478F-A6D2-F76A8206B1CB.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 225

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just a thought.
The debate over machine and hand sewn gets even more interesting given I’ve seen some machine stitched soles that are cleaner than hand stitched soles. Give me the well executed machine stitched soles like those from AM over a sloppy hand stitched soles elsewhere. Although if I can have my choice between those that are both executed well I’d take the hand sewn if I had the option I suppose just because.

shoes83

Reaction score
That's definitely true. More shoes means less of a likelihood for a resole. Although, we can also say a recraft may be ~$300 while brand new shoes are ~$???.
Of course, hence my ?

Would you send your handwelted AM back to him or work with one of the really good cobblers in NYC or the U.S.? Not sure who does handwelting, but would guess we have options here.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add some numbers here for perspective since last spring/summer, I had two shoes sent back for refurbishment.

Saint Crispins (handwelted, not sure about sole attachment) - € 295 for a new half sole and heels

Crockett and Jones (GYW) - £125 for a full resole and relasted to a half size smaller

That certainly adds further context to my thought. ?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, hence my ?

Would you send your handwelted AM back to him or work with one of the really good cobblers in NYC or the U.S.? Not sure who does handwelting, but would guess we have options here.

That's a great question. I hadn't considered it because it has not come up. Based on what I spent on them, I'd probably send the shoes back to Italy. If I paid half as much probably not. I think I would just have them machine sewn.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The debate over machine and hand sewn gets even more interesting given I’ve seen some machine stitched soles that are cleaner than hand stitched soles. Give me the well executed machine stitched soles like those from AM over a sloppy hand stitched soles elsewhere. Although if I can have my choice between those that are both executed well I’d take the hand sewn if I had the option I suppose just because.

I certainly have seen some clean clean work with a machine no question about it.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score

I always thought servicing watches regularly (i.e. before they stop ticking) is a complete waste of money. The service costs are almost always flat fees and involve anything necessary to get the movement working again. It's the equivalent of a shoemaker recommending that the sole be replaced every year regardless of use or condition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads