• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in a 30-million people city where space is at a premium. I have resorted to storing shoes in my office but now have a one-in, one-out policy. For those with too many shoes, there are usually shoes that are either redundant or have seen better days (and evolving tastes).

Everyone on this forum is probably running out of closet space if they’re in the city.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Are there any reasons to not buy an AM pair of shoes?
It seems like a much better bang for the buck than most options out there, but are there any cons?
Aside from the logistic side of things (difficult to navigate website and ordering process, wait times etc.) that others have mentioned, I would say that most AM shoes do have a 'look'. Really depends if that fits with your own personal style but you can definitely see a family resemblance regardless of model. If you like that of course it's a pro but if you don't, then it might be a threshold issue.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in a 30-million people city where space is at a premium. I have resorted to storing shoes in my office but now have a one-in, one-out policy. For those with too many shoes, there are usually shoes that are either redundant or have seen better days (and evolving tastes).

As a too many shoes guy, I definitely have redundant pairs. Oddly they all do see usage, except for my AE's, CS's, and most sub $500 shoes.

Fortunately, all my shoes are so similar that my oldest pairs are still as relevant and appropriate today (fashion, style, last, color) that they can easily make it into my rotation or anyone else's. Sadly, it is a numbers game for those unused pairs. Additionally, the higher the price the better the fit in my case.

Adhazem

Reaction score
As a too many shoes guy, I definitely have redundant pairs. Oddly they all do see usage, except for my AE's, CS's, and most sub $500 shoes.

Fortunately, all my shoes are so similar that my oldest pairs are still as relevant and appropriate today (fashion, style, last, color) that they can easily make it into my rotation or anyone else's. Sadly, it is a numbers game for those unused pairs. Additionally, the higher the price the better the fit in my case.

Not to take this thread a different direction but this last bit of discussion has resonated with me. How much is too much shoes? I don’t know tbh. I live in a house we built last year and have a section of closet dedicated to my shoes and boots. I clearly :confused: underestimated how much space I needed. So I start looking at some pairs that are just sitting there and haven’t been worn in over a year. They’re not fancy but everyone needs a black captoe Oxford. A lot of people, myself included haven’t been wearing suits to work for two years, substituting for scrubs all the time in my case, least I track the ‘vid out of the hospital home or the grocery store. So technically most of my shoes aren’t seeing a lot of mileage. Of course I favor some of the newer stuff I’ve acquired and wear them almost exclusively with jeans when I go to the mall with the family or whatever. I don’t know what I’m trying to say but the space thing, and the guilt of buying more shoes is bugging me a little. I have 9 shoes being made as of this moment and already have in mind what my next commissions are going to be. It’s absolutely an addiction but one that’s kept me going through real crappy times.

I have 3 pairs set aside in a donation box for when I get time To go to the goodwill. Maybe I should donate more? I don’t know…

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
Running out of space & hiding spots, and this is with me living in a house sooooo yeah ??‍♂️.
My better half suggested we get a new sideboard under the stairs to match the decor.

Little does she know that’s home for another 9 pairs of shoes… :D

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to take this thread a different direction but this last bit of discussion has resonated with me. How much is too much shoes? I don’t know tbh. I live in a house we built last year and have a section of closet dedicated to my shoes and boots. I clearly :confused: underestimated how much space I needed.
I think for plenty of us it doesn’t matter how much space you add and estimate - it’ll get filled up. More space available? More shoes and clothes. As to how much is too much? My official self imposed rule is at least one fewer pairs than my wife has but I’d go broke before I could catch up with her. In actuality I’m fairly settled in around 30 pairs and it’s not a rule but I’m working on no duplicates with the caveat that a different toe shape, leather or sole is enough of a differentiating factor.

So I start looking at some pairs that are just sitting there and haven’t been worn in over a year. They’re not fancy but everyone needs a black captoe Oxford. A lot of people, myself included haven’t been wearing suits to work for two years, substituting for scrubs all the time in my case, least I track the ‘vid out of the hospital home or the grocery store. So technically most of my shoes aren’t seeing a lot of mileage. Of course I favor some of the newer stuff I’ve acquired and wear them almost exclusively with jeans when I go to the mall with the family or whatever. I don’t know what I’m trying to say but the space thing, and the guilt of buying more shoes is bugging me a little. I have 9 shoes being made as of this moment and already have in mind what my next commissions are going to be.
I don’t know your situation but there seems to be a fairly common thing I’ve seen where guys go from initial purchases to learning about new, better brands leading to rapid expansion followed by a contraction followed by some pruning when you dial in what you like and sort of figure out wants/needs/likes.

I settled on somewhere around 30 being a good number for shoes/boots not counting sneakers, boat shoes or driving shoes or my casual purpose driven stuff. That’s sort of the numbers for me where they mostly get used.

I’ve put in a soft 1-in-1 out rule for myself on tailoring, shirts, shoes, ties at this point. If I can’t think of what I want to get rid of to add something then I probably like what I’ve got and don’t need to add.

It’s absolutely an addiction but one that’s kept me going through real crappy times.

I have 3 pairs set aside in a donation box for when I get time To go to the goodwill. Maybe I should donate more? I don’t know…
This is a real thing. We live in weird times and this community has provided some normalcy and friendships.

As for donating - I donated a bunch of stuff and the things that were newish or held some value at all I sold off on here or poshmark if I could get back somewhere around 50% or what I paid. I’ve got a brother and close cousin whose fiancé is my size for shoes. They got a bunch of shoes for the nicer stuff I didn’t want to take a > 50% hit on.

One of my best friends lost a ton of weight during the pandemic and now wears the same size clothes as me. He wasn’t in a spot to redo his wardrobe after the weight loss so I was able to get him an entire wardrobe for work out of stuff I’d upgraded from. All were a more rewarding experience than just donating it to goodwill and grabbing the receipt. YMMV.

I’m about to lose my spare closet so the purge, entirely on clothes at this point, has intensified but I’m still adding and upgrading at the same time. For that scenario I’m trying something new by making a list of what I want to add this year and trying to plot it out and be more deliberate. Having commissions on the horizon or wanting something on the list has definitely stopped a few impulse purchases. Having the list turns into a bit of a game while I try and track down the perfect fabric for tailoring and shirts, the perfect combination for shoes, etc.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to take this thread a different direction but this last bit of discussion has resonated with me. How much is too much shoes? I don’t know tbh. I live in a house we built last year and have a section of closet dedicated to my shoes and boots. I clearly :confused: underestimated how much space I needed. So I start looking at some pairs that are just sitting there and haven’t been worn in over a year. They’re not fancy but everyone needs a black captoe Oxford. A lot of people, myself included haven’t been wearing suits to work for two years, substituting for scrubs all the time in my case, least I track the ‘vid out of the hospital home or the grocery store. So technically most of my shoes aren’t seeing a lot of mileage. Of course I favor some of the newer stuff I’ve acquired and wear them almost exclusively with jeans when I go to the mall with the family or whatever. I don’t know what I’m trying to say but the space thing, and the guilt of buying more shoes is bugging me a little. I have 9 shoes being made as of this moment and already have in mind what my next commissions are going to be. It’s absolutely an addiction but one that’s kept me going through real crappy times.

I think for plenty of us it doesn’t matter how much space you add and estimate - it’ll get filled up. More space available? More shoes and clothes. As to how much is too much? My official self imposed rule is at least one fewer pairs than my wife has but I’d go broke before I could catch up with her. In actuality I’m fairly settled in around 30 pairs and it’s not a rule but I’m working on no duplicates with the caveat that a different toe shape, leather or sole is enough of a differentiating factor.

I don’t know your situation but there seems to be a fairly common thing I’ve seen where guys go from initial purchases to learning about new, better brands leading to rapid expansion followed by a contraction followed by some pruning when you dial in what you like and sort of figure out wants/needs/likes.

I settled on somewhere around 30 being a good number for shoes/boots not counting sneakers, boat shoes or driving shoes or my casual purpose driven stuff. That’s sort of the numbers for me where they mostly get used.

I’ve put in a soft 1-in-1 out rule for myself on tailoring, shirts, shoes, ties at this point. If I can’t think of what I want to get rid of to add something then I probably like what I’ve got and don’t need to add.

This is a real thing. We live in weird times and this community has provided some normalcy and friendships.

As for donating - I donated a bunch of stuff and the things that were newish or held some value at all I sold off on here or poshmark if I could get back somewhere around 50% or what I paid. I’ve got a brother and close cousin whose fiancé is my size for shoes. They got a bunch of shoes for the nicer stuff I didn’t want to take a > 50% hit on.

One of my best friends lost a ton of weight during the pandemic and now wears the same size clothes as me. He wasn’t in a spot to redo his wardrobe after the weight loss so I was able to get him an entire wardrobe for work out of stuff I’d upgraded from. All were a more rewarding experience than just donating it to goodwill and grabbing the receipt. YMMV.

I’m about to lose my spare closet so the purge, entirely on clothes at this point, has intensified but I’m still adding and upgrading at the same time. For that scenario I’m trying something new by making a list of what I want to add this year and trying to plot it out and be more deliberate. Having commissions on the horizon or wanting something on the list has definitely stopped a few impulse purchases. Having the list turns into a bit of a game while I try and track down the perfect fabric for tailoring and shirts, the perfect combination for shoes, etc.

Agree here with @Jmr928. The same situation or idea that exists for him pertains to me.

@Adhazem you mentioned how much is too much? If I knew I would have kept to that number, at the time anyways. Isn't it odd how we always need a pair but we don't ever in actuality "need it", we want it.

What's funny is I had a one brown pair and one black pair system of purchasing shoes. I knew I sort of would require both colors. Sure one can say that that isn't a negative mindset, but if you begin to follow that rule along multiple brands and multiple styles the numbers add up remarkably fast. Like turn your head and you have 100 pairs fast. ??‍♂️

I hate the cliché of, "if I knew back then what I know now..." As much as I hate it, it is quite relevant though. Moreover and perhaps fortunately, knowing what I know now I believe I would have spent double what I had already spent because although I'd own less shoes/items I'd own many many many more Bespoke shoes/items.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the cliché of, "if I knew back then what I know now..." As much as I hate it, it is quite relevant though. Moreover and perhaps fortunately, knowing what I know now I believe I would have spent double what I had already spent because although I'd own less shoes/items I'd own many many many more Bespoke shoes/items.
This is the interesting part right? Even when you’re introducing a new guy and want to save them from themselves we’ve all gotta go through some version of this. I could say just suck it up and buy the AMs but they’ve still gotta go through the learning bit. Maybe I could get them to steer clear of AE or something but there’s still that rapid growth, contraction, refinement process because you just can’t know until you do it.

ViaSartoria

Reaction score
I have just realized that I like blue shoes and they fit well with a big part of my wardrobe.

I can think of at least 6 models from different makers including Antonio that will look good in blue.

This isn’t going to end well…

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the interesting part right? Even when you’re introducing a new guy and want to save them from themselves we’ve all gotta go through some version of this. I could say just suck it up and buy the AMs but they’ve still gotta go through the learning bit. Maybe I could get them to steer clear of AE or something but there’s still that rapid growth, contraction, refinement process because you just can’t know until you do it.

I honestly believe that to be the result of acquiring information and knowledge. Which is why I now advise newcomers to purchase HW shoes, budget permitting. My thought is if you provide information regarding the best possible construction method no one typically downgrades once you've had a taste of a higher quality shoe.

I'd also suggest that the point of budget permitting is applicable. The more money you earn the more fine tuned your purchases become. When one is starting out, you can't always go select a HW AM. That may come after the fact which results in more shoe purchases.

Another problem that exists is what @bernoulli mentioned. Tastes affect purchases. You may like a plain shoe today, but in a year your eyes yearn for a heavily patina'd brogue.

The aging process which affects the size of the foot also requires more shoe purchases.

Doesn't it feel like an endless cycle of continuously purchasing shoes?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just realized that I like blue shoes and they fit well with a big part of my wardrobe.

I can think of at least 6 models from different makers including Antonio that will look good in blue.

This isn’t going to end well…

I said heavily patina'd brogue he said blue.. ??‍♂️.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads