• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Btw, a disturbing post to some -

Before you report the violence in the post and have SF ban my account, please let me express my gratitude to the Maestro: his shoes are really solidly made in the way he stated ?

no gemming, high quality parts, always improving

You can see the full set of photos here -

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Btw, a disturbing post to some -

Before you report the violence in the post and have SF ban my account, please let me express my gratitude to the Maestro: his shoes are really solidly made in the way he stated ?

no gemming, high quality parts, always improving

You can see the full set of photos here -

Due to Brexit and the high cost of repair, Antonio reportedly has no plan of bringing the machine back to life: when the current webstore and retailer stock runs out, no more Argentum welted shoes would be made.

I mean everything handwelt is not a bad news to me, though I'm afraid of the price increase that feels like eve on RTW is coming...

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Due to Brexit and the high cost of repair, Antonio reportedly has no plan of bringing the machine back to life: when the current webstore and retailer stock runs out, no more Argentum welted shoes would be made.

I mean everything handwelt is not a bad news to me, though I'm afraid of the price increase that feels like eve on RTW is coming...
I think the Lucius pricing was the canary in the mineshaft.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the single MTO definitely reflected the increase px (except a few here and there), the RTW ones might be a bit last chance

corpseposeur

Reaction score
This thread is trouble.

Meccariello makes the most beautiful shoes with the possible exception of Yohei Fukuda and the price is within reach for me. I'm just nervous because of the wait time and uncertainty of sizing. Based on their site and emails with the company, I think I'm a 9.5 and I fit most standard US 10 in Allen Edmonds and UK 9 in Crockett & Jones

Has anyone needed to return shoes to Italy that didn't fit well?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is trouble.

Meccariello makes the most beautiful shoes with the possible exception of Yohei Fukuda and the price is within reach for me. I'm just nervous because of the wait time and uncertainty of sizing. Based on their site and emails with the company, I think I'm a 9.5 and I fit most standard US 10 in Allen Edmonds and UK 9 in Crockett & Jones

Not to Italy but have returned shoes abroad. It’s not an inexpensive proposition but it’s not awful. A USPS large flat rate box is about $100.
Best guidance is trust Antonio’s guidance. Do the ABC measurements on his website and talk with Antonio. He’s super accessible on Instagram.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
This thread is trouble.

I did! freshly post Brexit UK. tried DPD, carrier took them to Italy, held in customs for 3 weeks, attempted to return to different address than mine. second attempt tried meccariello suggested DHL. went without a hitch. but it total spent around 100£ extra on exchange.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Ugh, the $/£100 return expense is what's holding me back. After waiting for 6 months I'd be sad to receive a pair that didn't fit.

On the other hand, the only shoes that have been real fitting fails are the two that I purchased in store with a sales rep; I have a pair of Aldens that are too narrow despite being sized on a Brannock device and recommended a 8C on Aberdeen last. There's also a pair of Carminas that gap at the sides as it was maybe for a lower/higher instep on Costix last.

So there's a easy $1000+ spent on two shoes that I can't wear. I will eventually get around to posting them on eBay or maybe I'll try posting here on SF and try to get some of my money back.

Whenever I've ordered a standard US10 or sized online, they've tended to fit well. This includes Crockett & Jones Sydney loafers and Cheaney monk straps in UK9.

I did the ABC measurements so I'm 90% confident I'm a 9.5 in Meccariello.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life comes with risks. I am a risk-taker, so I am comfortable with taking the plunge. Still, with 90% confidence, I can't see much reason for not doing it. What is the probability you get a shoe that fits perfectly even if you try them in-store? In this instance, you are being guided by the shoemaker, who has the best knowledge possible about their lasts, even if they can't measure your feet directly. I would trust him remotely before trusting a salesperson and myself in a shoe store.

Ugh, the $/£100 return expense is what's holding me back. After waiting for 6 months I'd be sad to receive a pair that didn't fit.

On the other hand, the only shoes that have been real fitting fails are the two that I purchased in store with a sales rep; I have a pair of Aldens that are too narrow despite being sized on a Brannock device and recommended a 8C on Aberdeen last. There's also a pair of Carminas that gap at the sides as it was maybe for a lower/higher instep on Costix last.

So there's a easy $1000+ spent on two shoes that I can't wear. I will eventually get around to posting them on eBay or maybe I'll try posting here on SF and try to get some of my money back.

Whenever I've ordered a standard US10 or sized online, they've tended to fit well. This includes Crockett & Jones Sydney loafers and Cheaney monk straps in UK9.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

he has a page of other shoe's size vs. AM's various last, did you try that as well?

two things to watch out are width and instep. So I take generally you're not narrow or wide width (though if SA ask you to take narrow in Alden Aberdeen which is already narrow to start with you might be narrow but you did say it's too narrow?), instep on any AM is going to be higher than any English.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did! freshly post Brexit UK. tried DPD, carrier took them to Italy, held in customs for 3 weeks, attempted to return to different address than mine. second attempt tried meccariello suggested DHL. went without a hitch. but it total spent around 100£ extra on exchange.

I would think return from UK is easier than US, but I guess post Brexit all the custom stuff gets a bit f*ed up

Adhazem

Reaction score

Similar boat re: anxiety of waiting 5 months only to return. I did the ABC measures and went with their recommended sizing but even they said to expect 85% of good fitment and that subsequent pairs will be better tuned for my feet. I think it’s worth it, but admit the monetary and time investment is substantial. I’ve tried other online brands with hit or miss sizing recommendations. I went with my gut on a pair of 7L that just arrived and I was right and their customer service recommendation would have not fit my feet in a million years.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar boat re: anxiety of waiting 5 months only to return. I did the ABC measures and went with their recommended sizing but even they said to expect 85% of good fitment and that subsequent pairs will be better tuned for my feet. I think it’s worth it, but admit the monetary and time investment is substantial. I’ve tried other online brands with hit or miss sizing recommendations. I went with my gut on a pair of 7L that just arrived and I was right and their customer service recommendation would have not fit my feet in a million years.
At a certain point taking the risks online become necessary when your only in person options near you are a couple Alden stockists and an Allen Edmonds store. I guess yay no sales tax or something though.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
This thread is trouble.

One of my friends returned shoes that are half size too small. Rather than exchanging AM decided to stretch them to increase size by 0.5 for him.

He sent shoes by EMS (through HK Post, HKSAR, China), and shoes managed to reach Italy after a long, long while.

DHL vs EMS (or your country's postal service) is really a matter of time / gamble on tax etc. Antonio very much prefers DHL as, in his own words, "I used them for 15 years and they never lost a parcel". Understandably reliability of different couriers differ according to where you live in, but DHL is apparently quite good in Italy.

Italian customs can be very hard to deal with. Even if you mark very clearly shoes are returning to the manufacturer, quote his VAT number etc they will still be taxed in funny ways. Declaring a "suitable" value is key.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads