• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. These are priced very competitively though. About the same as CJ (again ordered from abroad not from their stockists in the US), a touch more expensive than Vass ordered direct, a touch less than the young handwelted brands from East Asia.

I see his target market as the guy who usually buys Carmina or Crockett and is looking for an upgrade or someone who has done the East Asian brands. Probably not Antonio’s existing customers who have bought Argentum but maybe I’m mistaken.

That sounds about right. It provides those an opportunity at an AM shoe at a price that is very competitive.

What I would like to see to better assist those with their purchasing decision, as well as making the decision easier, is a comparative chart. As it stands and from the comments and questions frequently posted, there's genuine confusion as to what one receives with a certain level of shoe from AM.

I'm sure most have gone unto Amazon and seen those charts with little checks demonstrating subtle differences among similar products.

Something similar illustrating those differences amongst the levels offered by AM would be beneficial. Would make for a more informed customer. Visual differentiation that justifies price increases. Overall easier purchase decision for the customer.

otterhound

Reaction score
As it stands and from the comments and questions frequently posted, there's genuine confusion as to what one receives with a certain level of shoe from AM.
I'm certainly confused, and was even before the Roma announcement. I'd love to see side-by-side photos of Argentum hand-welted vs Aurum, for example.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly confused, and was even before the Roma announcement. I'd love to see side-by-side photos of Argentum hand-welted vs Aurum, for example.
Aurum has hand sewn soles right? And generally just everything is slightly better done as well as he can possibly do it.

ajay199127

Reaction score
Ah okay yeah that's what I thought they were, so still a $100+ gap exists between the two.
The massive discrepancies exist. They charge 341 plus vat in Europe, 441 in Dubai, a tax free country ?.
So best is live in Angola, Africa, where the import tax is 0 for less than 500 USD & acquire carmina at 341 incl shipping.
Little rewards for adjusting to Angola ?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The massive discrepancies exist. They charge 341 plus vat in Europe, 441 in Dubai, a tax free country ?.
So best is live in Angola, Africa, where the import tax is 0 for less than 500 USD & acquire carmina at 341 incl shipping.
Little rewards for adjusting to Angola ?

Been quite some time since I bought some, but do Carmina's ever actually go on sale? Black Friday? I ask because personally at the current price difference I'd increase my budget to purchase the AM Romas. On sale, I would select the Carmina I guess, although the equivalent Arg goes for $400. Is that right?

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been quite some time but do Carmina's ever actually go on sale? Black Friday? I ask because personally at the current price difference I'd increase my budget to purchase the AM Romas. On sale, I would select the Carmina I guess, although the equivalent Arg goes for $400. Is that right?
They do. Meccariello is really one of the only ones I can think of who doesn't run sales or a sample sale ever. I bet he'd say it's because he charges a fair price for his shoes every day and they're an incredible value. Given the pandemic and how many people had to firesale old stock just to stay alive it's pretty remarkable he kept as busy as he did and didn't clear everything out.

ajay199127

Reaction score
They do. Meccariello is really one of the only ones I can think of who doesn't run sales or a sample sale ever. I bet he'd say it's because he charges a fair price for his shoes every day and they're an incredible value. Given the pandemic and how many people had to firesale old stock just to stay alive it's pretty remarkable he kept as busy as he did and didn't clear everything out.
I was lucky to acquire the valerius hatch grain Argentum handwelted in sienna for 490 with vibram sole protector and marble waist.
For the carmina, never bought during sale, but have bought during an mto which was 341 plus shoe tree for a loafer.
But I’d personally always go for carmina if we it’s a Chelsea, especially the Simpson last….

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was lucky to acquire the valerius hatch grain Argentum handwelted in sienna for 490 with vibram sole protector and marble waist.
For the carmina, never bought during sale, but have bought during an mto which was 341 plus shoe tree for a loafer.
But I’d personally always go for carmina if we it’s a Chelsea, especially the Simpson last….
Au contraire mon ami. A chelsea from Antonio is absolutely on the list to get. Cover your eyes, @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes.

Anyone want to find out about a GMTO seamless wholecut chelsea from AM?
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 2.05.27 PM.png

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics