• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His fixed costs are much lower than Carmina's. No marketing and other types of overhead, such as rent for physical stores and the labor associated with that.

Of course, his volume is also much smaller, but his break-even point is orders of magnitude smaller than that of a larger brand.

Now, I am not impliying he should keep his prices down; it is all about price-elasticity of demand and his long-term strategy. It is just that a comparison with Carmina is not the way to go.

Wow, those are Carmina prices. I don't know how he can make a profit at that price point with the handwork and Western European labor costs.

ajay199127

Reaction score
His fixed costs are much lower than Carmina's. No marketing and other types of overhead, such as rent for physical stores and the labor associated with that.

Of course, his volume is also much smaller, but his break-even point is orders of magnitude smaller than that of a larger brand.

Now, I am not impliying he should keep his prices down; it is all about price-elasticity of demand and his long-term strategy. It is just that a comparison with Carmina is not the way to go.
Plus Carmina is 341 euros for Adelaide incl of worldwide shipping, so not the same price point

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe what @otterhound is implying is not a direct comparison to Carmina, but rather what one could potentially receive for a similar price to a Carmina shoe.

Although (and @ajay199127 just mentioned it) the prices are not the same. A difference of, at least, $120 separates the two.

AM would therefore be priced to actually tackle the emerging Chinese HW makers. Most often found in the $550 range or more.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah okay yeah that's what I thought they were, so still a $100+ gap exists between the two.
Indeed. These are priced very competitively though. About the same as CJ (again ordered from abroad not from their stockists in the US), a touch more expensive than Vass ordered direct, a touch less than the young handwelted brands from East Asia.

I see his target market as the guy who usually buys Carmina or Crockett and is looking for an upgrade or someone who has done the East Asian brands. Probably not Antonio’s existing customers who have bought Argentum but maybe I’m mistaken.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a global economy, my friend. $400-450 available online anywhere at full retail. Many with free shipping.
Sure but AM without taxes here will not be that much more anymore soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads