• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Hello .....

Considering your remarks on the split toe made by the Japanese, i was little intrigued and I wanted to investigate the cost of a pair of Hiro's split toe derby in shell in Japan......
in order to consider a commission from this shoemaker .
The answer of the producer is very interesting ....
Maybe we should all think a little if the shoemaker generally does what is easier and more comfortable for him or if he tries to satisfy the customer's requests. In this sense,
I am a bit perplexed and disappointed by the answer,
but this is just my personal feeling and I have great respect for the shoemaker.

here you are their answer:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your inquiry about shoe order.
We are very glad that you have some interests in our shoes.

We are also offering MTO (Made to Order) service besides bespoke.
However that, we need to find your appropriate size and fitting from our base last using fitting trial shoes, even in case of MTO order.

For your reference,
In case of choosing Shell Cordovan leather for the upper, we can not accept the order of L33/Split toe derby.
Cordovan is not appropriate material for the hand stitchings on the vamp of split toe.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
I hope you will visit us when you have an opportunity in the future.

Best regards,
The owner of HIRO YANAGIMACHI Workshop
Hiroyuki Yanagimachi

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Estoril ’93 2F
2-6-1 Sendagaya Shibuya-ku
Tokyo, Japan 151-0051
HIRO YANAGIMACHI Workshop

Tel/Fax +81 3 6383 1992
e-mail [email protected]
www.hiroyanagimachi.com/en/
www.facebook.com/HIROYANAGIMACHI
That's not surprising. Very few makers will try split toe with shell. Probably just not worth the risk as the shells may tear.

Also he is pretty clear on his website that he needs an in person fitting for any shoe orders.

Easier or not, it's the way he does business and given the quality of his work I don't it's out of laziness.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disappointed that the shoemaker does not want to make you something that they don't think can be done with utmost care? "The customer is always right" is a sentence that should be banned and forgotten. There is no laziness involved. Just common sense. On Hiro's part.

Hello .....

Considering your remarks on the split toe made by the Japanese, i was little intrigued and I wanted to investigate the cost of a pair of Hiro's split toe derby in shell in Japan......
Maybe we should all think a little if the shoemaker generally does what is easier and more comfortable for him or if he tries to satisfy the customer's requests. In this sense,
but this is just my personal feeling and I have great respect for the shoemaker.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX

However that, we need to find your appropriate size and fitting from our base last using fitting trial shoes, even in case of MTO order.

For your reference,
In case of choosing Shell Cordovan leather for the upper, we can not accept the order of L33/Split toe derby.
Cordovan is not appropriate material for the hand stitchings on the vamp of split toe.

Best regards,
Hiroyuki Yanagimachi

Estoril ’93 2F
Tokyo, Japan 151-0051

Tel/Fax +81 3 6383 1992
e-mail [email protected]

AngelK

Reaction score
Disappointed that the shoemaker does not want to make you something that they don't think can be done with utmost care? "The customer is always right" is a sentence that should be banned and forgotten. There is no laziness involved. Just common sense. On Hiro's part.
You are right, ? :brick: honestly I thought it was something simple to do ,instead
i have inquired also other maker around , included Uk
and nobody accepted this one due to the high risk of the process all of them refused
:confused::confused:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right, ? :brick: honestly I thought it was something simple to do ,instead
i have inquired also other maker around , included Uk
and nobody accepted this one due to the high risk of the process all of them refused
:confused::confused:
I think Antonio is one of the only ones willing to try it and is definitely the only one I’ve seen confident enough to offer it as RTW. That being said, for my purposes, shell is like @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes said - The only reason I would get them is because they’re rare and to be able to show off a bit. For the money, I think I’d rather have Antonio make me something Aurum in one of the amazing vintage leathers he’s able to track down over shell but I’m just not a huge shell guy. I just have to figure out what pattern that will be to get the process started.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello .....

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX

For your reference,

Best regards,
Hiroyuki Yanagimachi

Estoril ’93 2F
Tokyo, Japan 151-0051

Tel/Fax +81 3 6383 1992
e-mail [email protected]
That's not surprising. Very few makers will try split toe with shell. Probably just not worth the risk as the shells may tear.

Also he is pretty clear on his website that he needs an in person fitting for any shoe orders.

Easier or not, it's the way he does business and given the quality of his work I don't it's out of laziness.

Thank you for taking the time to investigate the order process for a pair of Cordovan SpTDs from HY @AngelK. As @bernoulli @JustPullHarder mentioned, I believe Hiro is attempting minimize cost and wastage, as opposed to a reluctance to make something for a customer. I respect that he is able to accept the challenges of working with shell and the associated pitfalls behind it. He rather not waste the customer's time nor his.

Of course, I love & respect that Antonio is willing and able to offer a makeup that only a handful of artisans can produce. As I mentioned previously, AM is one of the finest shoemakers in the world. He offers a reasonable price for a difficult pair to make. Which is why I recommend him highly and often.

Having said that, I believe I stated that I just prefer the aesthetic of HY's SpTD (along with a few others) over the Centurion. @Jmr928 mentioned that I'm not particularly a fan of Cordovan and don't utilize it much. As such, it is too high a price for me to pay for a shoe I would get such little use of.

I did after all state that an important point for me is how much utility I get from a shoe, aside from the aesthetics.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
was it "proper" split toe?

edit: looks like it has pie crust and all that, good find, is Ascot still doing the whole upper in UK Vass finish thing though?

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume utility is measured from # of wear, aren't at you like 125+ shoes now, any utility is like twice a year...?

Yes sir and when. Cordovan I would wear in the colder months. So, no summer, or later spring, or early fall.

Why only during the winter months? Cordovan leather feels heavy. Makes my feet warm, and I find it stiff.

The cordovan pairs I do have get worn seems like every leap year. In fact, I commissioned a pair recently which will incorporate cordovan. I pretty much know those won't be used often. TBF, those would be $600 cheaper and Bespoke.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
42B48F68-8460-4D2D-A5D6-9B73062828B6.jpeg

Decurion II’s today while I wait for my Decurion I’s to arrive.
Paired with Dunhill pin stripes
9F0EEEE6-1D91-4EAA-8AD2-379CB9CBA310.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the stretching worked I take?

p.s. I like some of the current Dunhill model, really "clean"

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I’d rather have Antonio make me something Aurum in one of the amazing vintage leathers he’s able to track down over shell but I’m just not a huge shell guy.
I too am interested in those special leathers he can source. Here's a question. Are those wonderful vintage leathers all aniline dyed? (Or whatever the proper terminology is.) I'm very attracted to Antonio's wine/oxblood/burgundy offerings, as they have this intangible air about them that evokes in me some sort of romantic notion I must have had at a young age of what a 'proper' man's dress shoe was. Hard to put a finger on this exactly. But anyway, his wine shades are all hand painted, right? For a really special vintage leather, should I be looking at more of a dark brown?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads