• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as pie crust my experience has been:

smooth > hatch > pebbled grain > dark suede > light suede

View attachment 1674902 View attachment 1674903 View attachment 1674904 View attachment 1674905 View attachment 1674906

Specifically I am talking about the pie crust effect.

I don't have particular feelings as to why someone would want a pie crust apron with cordovan aesthetically. I feel the same way about cordovan cap toes.

Does it offend me that they get made or get sold? Not in the least. But perhaps I am missing something and without expressing my view it's much harder to be convinced otherwise.

Wasn't aware that it was finished to Aurum rather than Argentum standards with hand stitched outsoles. In such case the price is far more palatable (I wouldn't have said his price would have been bad if it were just Argentum finishing. It's more the delta and essentially paying double for the upper materials)
These aren't all AM? Looks like a mix of EG, GG and AM? Imo, EG does one of the best pie crust (that's your first pic right?)

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
These aren't all AM? Looks like a mix of EG, GG and AM? Imo, EG does one of the best pie crust (that's your first pic right?)
None are AM.

All EG except the second one which is GG. I agree that EG appears to do it the best of the English.

Screenshot_20210925-235642_Instagram.png

Screenshot_20210925-235620_Instagram.png

I would say Santari is better though. And Hiro.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Note that this isn't meant to be a slight on Antonio's work. Was intended only as a comparison of pie crust on different types of upper materials and what I think is aesthetically the most pleasing.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think it just comes down to whether it’s something you want or not. I have 2 pair of shell from acme with a pie crust stitch and it’s as if not more distinct textures throughout the apron than suede has from acme or Antonio. But honestly, I find it interesting how some have strong opinions on an offering like this, when it’s no different than any other offer he has on the webshop that is not of interest.

as far as the price point comparing to Hiro, I believe Hiro is around $2500+ for rtw/stock last mto with machine stitch and entry level finishing. The shell centurion offer is basically receiving Aurum bottoming and finishing. Handstitched outsoles, the type of finishing you don’t see with Argentum handwelted. I only share the context,because otherwise it appears there is a significant up charge for shell, when yes, there is, but the other part of the increase $$ is because it’s higher level than Argentum.

but we’ll see how it turns out next week. He finished my pair last week.

Yes in terms of price per spec, the AM provides you the better value. Especially, when one considers what the upcharge would be for cordovan through HY. Much much greater price difference.

I, however, as most of you know have a ton of shoes. Not that I'm necessarily past the shopping by specs, but I am purchasing more towards what fits my general wardrobe. As well as, I'm shopping with my eyes. That said, I find the HY SpTDs much nicer looking.

At these price points, I'd also be looking at the whole picture. Although the AM offers better value, at $2k+ I'm not looking at saving bucks here. With HY, at this price (and because I own shoes from him) the shoes will be made to measure. I believe the upcharge for those Bespoke type details is $300 (will double check for those interested). True the leather would not be Cordovan, but frankly I don't care. The leather selected will be ultra premium and the finished product amazing. As mentioned on the previous post, I'd only select the Cordovan to brag not necessarily because I favor it.

While I have a preference for handsewn soles, the bottom of those soles will be beaten up anyways so that's a feature that ticks the bragging checklist versus anything functional.

I'd also add. For those interested in HY and like that somewhat understated English styling, the team at HY produces captivating shoes. Pictures do not do them justice. Yes other makers will offer better specs for the price, but in terms of making a phenomenally finished product HY is ??.

TBF, most makers at this price point will produce simply amazing shoes. AM Aurums+ are right there with your top makers across the globe. You are really buying for styles and aesthetics at this price.

I am so glad I find cordovan shoes ugly and clunky. I also dislike SpTDs, for which my wallet is really thankful, for once. But one thing: why do people insist on making comparisons such as "why pay X for maker A when you can get shoe Y from maker B at a fraction of that price"? Let's not fool ourselves, we are not optimizing any objective function. If one values a special stitch from Antonio for 1,800 euros, more power to him/her. I am sure BColl is not the only one who has too many shoes.

I get when people say "I would rather pay X extra for Hiro instead of splurging 1800 on this offering from Meccariello". What I don't get is when people expect others to follow that same logic. Everybody here is a shoe sinner and likes what they like. Example: I can get Chinese shoemakers to replicate Meccariello for half the price. Still, I am in this thread pondering if I can justify yet another pair from the Maestro. Rationally, I can't: my disposable income has fallen substantially and I have too many shoes (not like BColl, of course, but more than I "need"). Just my 0.02.

Yeah I agree. I despise the same things. Comparisons are only useful for specification purchases. As with many things, after a certain point our eyes make the decisions for us.

I actually could have amended my post to reflect an aesthetic preference of one completed SpTD to another. That is why I would select the HY over the AM. I would also select the Nicholas Templeman SpTD over the AM. Hell, if EG told me they could make me a HW++ Dover I would also select that over any SpTD AM produces. Again though (and for those reading this), that is a personal aesthetic preference not necessarily anything against AM.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AngelK

Reaction score
Totally agree here. Aesthetically, I prefer the Santaris over the AMs. I would probably pay the price for these over any AM SpTD.
_MG_0015.JPG

Just received mine ,and i am super Happy :bigstar::bigstar:;);)

Considering the price point and the materials involved is incredible product

PS

In the previous post ,there are not AM split toe derby on the pictures
,just to be precise with the comparition done ;);) ??

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1675114

Just received mine ,and i am super Happy :bigstar::bigstar:;);)

Considering the price point and the materials involved is incredible product

PS

In the previous post ,there are not AM split toe derby on the pictures
,just to be precise with the comparition done ;);) ??

They look fantastic @AngelK! ?? Well done.
In agreement with you regarding what AM offers taking into consideration price and materials.

To all reading, I hate that by saying you prefer one product over another, you are essentially dimishing the comparative product. Just in case anyone gets that impression, the AM Centurion is exceptional, as evidenced by this pic or IG pics. I just prefer the look of other SpTDs. In this case, I prefer the Santari, although I still believe the Centurion looks good.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I put AM Centurion more like GG Hove on MH71, just dressier which is not as good as Dover in terms of all around, but I guess in general everything I wear is more sharper edged so yup definitely a lot aesthetic preference going on

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put AM Centurion more like GG Hove on MH71, just dressier which is not as good as Dover in terms of all around, but I guess in general everything I wear is more sharper edged so yup definitely a lot aesthetic preference going on

Right and that's also a point to consider. I believe individuals should make purchase decisions based on what their wardrobe consists of. Additionally, make the decision on how you intend to wear them.

The Centurion is a beautiful shoe. For my purposes, a Dover (for instance) does more for what I need it to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads