• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Jay Primo

Reaction score
Not sure what your sizing reference is and other lasts you’ve tried but speaking in generalities I think yes most guys with “average” feet take 1/2 size up from CJ/JL sizing so 9.5 in CJ, 10 in AM. Same size as EG. Comparing soft square Argentum to EG82 I want to say soft square has an ever so slightly higher instep and a tiny bit less space in the toe box width-wise but a slightly taller toe box and a little more room across the vamp.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your time and thoughts.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Could any one share pictures and fit advice for AM's decurion shoes?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
decurion would fit just like his other oxford, I would just go by last

I'm generic 9.5D US but usually need more room in toebox in general these fits me well

CJ 341 8.5E UK
AM Chisel 2 9E
I have AM Soft Square 9F, heel is wider than I like but manageable, don't think 9E would work but never knew if 9.5E would have been better
Alden 9D Barrie (I don't know if it's called fit well or just space everywhere, at least it doesn't slide down)
Enzo Bonafe 74945 8.5 normal width (whatever normal width is for EB), might be slightly large but so slight that I couldn't be bothered
OctTenth Huang 8.5, also might be slightly large but manageable

what doesn't fit me that well but manageable
CJ 348 8.5E UK (too tight in toebox than I like)
GG MH71 9E UK (it fits but also borderline too tight)
CJ 236 8.5E UK (or whatever the Chelsea 3 last is on, forgot 236 or 238), it's too short so end up with toebox issue over a day

what does not fit me
Alden Aberdeen 9.5D US (this is based on the tassel loafer), toebox too tight, I tried 9.5E US, heel too loose, tried 9E US, too short, tried 10D, too long
CJ 325 8.5E UK, toebox too tight (based on Cavandish loafer)
Carmina Simpson 8.5 (in whatever is normal width for Carmina) too tight in toebox, never bother up size
Alden modified 9D US, too tight in waist, but I have flat ish feet, toebox is no issue here
Vass U Last 42.5, toebox too narrow, didn't try 43
JL 8000 8.5, toebox too tight, I have one in 9 which is a bit long but manageable
GG TG73/DG70 9E UK, too narrow in toebox, never tried 9F, 9.5E was definitely too long
GG Deco anything, definitely too narrow in toebox in standard width

might be more stuff but that's it on top of my head

though in general AM has high instep so if you don't have high instep might need to add tongue pad or maybe reconsider?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could any one share pictures and fit advice for AM's decurion shoes?
Decs yesterday in pearl grey. What Clee said re: last sizing not pattern sizing.
BFCA25C6-E9D7-4DFC-B204-164670593477.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is hatch shell just a novelty or there is something beyond that (also do you loose some of the luster from shell by making hatch on it?)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is hatch shell just a novelty or there is something beyond that (also do you loose some of the luster from shell by making hatch on it?)
I think it just adds visual interest to the shoes and don't feel like you lose the luster, imo

As @jischwar just mentioned, you lose none of the positives about Cordovan. It is just a embossed print on the leather.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, think of this way, you can mirror shine both hatchgrain and smooth calf (not shell, just calf), I would think the smooth calf would always "come ahead if you want to look from pure mirror shine perspective", like I would imagine the fundamental property is there but by making indention (embossed print) you will loose some of the "luster" (or maybe that's just the wrong word to use).

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, think of this way, you can mirror shine both hatchgrain and smooth calf (not shell, just calf), I would think the smooth calf would always "come ahead if you want to look from pure mirror shine perspective", like I would imagine the fundamental property is there but by making indention (embossed print) you will loose some of the "luster" (or maybe that's just the wrong word to use).

That's true. I notice, generally speaking, calfskin takes on a longer lasting and more prominent shine than Cordovan. I'm sure if you fight with the shoes long enough, eventually the shine comes to the forefront.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I just asked Antonio about the amount of cordovan needed for Centurion. He mentioned two X (2.2 sq ft) or one super (those > 3 sq ft).

Anyone tempted to send Crack an email to inquire availability? ??

32A0BC5D-24F6-436D-AA1A-4170E7054A27.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads