• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
QC can be better in either case, but usually somewhat reflective of price, because at end of the day, great QC usually means more pairs than not have to be seconds, have to be more careful with the leather you cut etc.. You can have great QC on goodyear welt too. Fundamentally it's whether "the maker care", and can they afford to care given the price point.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Value for me means the longevity of a shoe mainly by means of construction leather quality

again I think you shouldn't focus on that, aesthetic first, this is not robotic check box exercise, if the shoe doesn't speak to you why? There are a lot "cheap" gyw shoe that if you buy a few pair (especially say from eBay etc.) would last you longer, but why don't you start with "if you even like to look at it first"

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are we using that garbage automobile made by Fiat group name as a flagship or top notch reference?

I guess Kirby does not know anything about automobiles!! Why did he not refer to Porsche?? For HW?

Extremely disrespectful to use Ferrari in the same paragraph with Gaziano & Girling!!

I’d be pissed if I was Tony to read all what Kirby wrote!!

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
It ignores the fact that in the ready to wear space there are $200 Goodyear welted shoes and $1,500 Goodyear welted shoes. There are $300 handwelted shoes and $5,000 handwelted shoes.

To use an extreme example a handwelted shoe from say Meermin isn’t a Ferrari while a Goodyear welted shoe from Gaziano or Edward Green isn’t a 3 series.

That's a great insight. Kirby has lost a plot there. You sir have a vast valuable knowledge to share. Any chance you have a blog or YouTube? Can't find JMR Project in YouTube ?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great insight. Kirby has lost a plot there. You sir have a vast valuable knowledge to share. Any chance you have a blog or YouTube? Can't find JMR Project in YouTube ?
7480517C-CF38-47C4-BCF8-AE57CB5B1724.gif

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
Why are we using that garbage automobile made by Fiat group name as a flagship or top notch reference?

I guess Kirby does not know anything about automobiles!! Why did he not refer to Porsche?? For HW?

Extremely disrespectful to use Ferrari in the same paragraph with Gaziano & Girling!!

I’d be pissed if I was Tony to read all what Kirby wrote!!
I will now feel silly to wear HW Italian shoe on my 12 Year old Kia. Should stick to my $30 blacke stitch outlet shoes ?

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
again I think you shouldn't focus on that, aesthetic first, this is not robotic check box exercise, if the shoe doesn't speak to you why? There are a lot "cheap" gyw shoe that if you buy a few pair (especially say from eBay etc.) would last you longer, but why don't you start with "if you even like to look at it first"
Considering I like the shoe aesthetically. How should I go about looking for that investment shoe piece? I'd like the idea of passing these shoes down in 50 years to my grand kids. Will $500 Carmina vs $2000 English shoe have the longevity assuming I treat the shoe well

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None will if you buy one pair, and your grand kid will not want your 50 years old shoe is probably more important.

more pair would give you longevity, so get 10 Carmina for $150 each on eBay lightly used (and topy it) would beat any single pair $1.5k shoe if you just want longevity.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
look, fundamentally this is not buying the most reliable Toyota and see if you can drive more than 5 million miles on it with same engine and transmission...

I would buy AM over Carmina for many reason (leather/construction, I like the "substantial but dressy tank" that AM does), but one of the reason is NOT it would outlive Carmina (as one one one and continue to resole it probably would but give my rotation size, that would be a pointless comparison)

Carmina is not a bad choice, if you like, buy it somewhat cheaper than msrp than be a happy man, build up some pair, then you don't have to worry about longevity

so back to
1. buy what you like
2. don't assume you would always like what you like 50 years down the line anyway...

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
None will if you buy one pair, and your grand kid will not want your 50 years old shoe is probably more important.

more pair would give you longevity, so get 10 Carmina for $150 each on eBay lightly used (and topy it) would beat any single pair $1.5k shoe if you just want longevity.
My grandfather gave me a 60+ year old Bally shoe but unfortunately it doesn't fit me anymore.

I think I would rather own a $2000 shoe that will last a centuries (with resoles done to it) than owning $500 shoe that will last 10.

I appreciate your sprinkle of knowledge✌
I wish I'd come here as a teenager and stopped buying Nike's ?

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
so back to
1. buy what you like
2. don't assume you would always like what you like 50 years down the line anyway...

I think a brown and black chelsea & Oxford's would never go out of style and I would happily wear until D day.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina is not a bad choice, if you like, buy it somewhat cheaper than msrp than be a happy man

I'll second this. I own Carmina and love their shoes. So much so, that I don't even own AMs at the same price point or even AMs that are $1000 more than Carminas.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grandfather gave me a 60+ year old Bally shoe but unfortunately it doesn't fit me anymore.

I think I would rather own a $2000 shoe that will last a centuries (with resoles done to it) than owning $500 shoe that will last 10.

I appreciate your sprinkle of knowledge✌
I wish I'd come here as a teenager and stopped buying Nike's ?

can you seriously resole for a century like as only pair? brown chelsea and black oxford, would do, but how about the last?

also event a 60+ years old Belly was still gyw I assume, was that "the" only shoe your grandfather have and wear daily? I mean if that's the case, there are plenty $250 gyw that will last long enough (unless vintage belly is quite something that I don't know)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads