• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
vintage dark brown imperator (though I prefer the original version, cleaner on the cap)

vs. original (not same leather)

1621286494160.png

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
Hi All, how would you rate AM vs Carmina in terms of quality, build, fit and style? HW vs GYW? Kirby Allison mentioned that HW shoes are like Ferrari and GYW are 3 series BMW. I personally don't have GYW to comment. Only own 2 Vass and couple of blake/rapid Blake stitched shoes. Thank you ✌

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, how would you rate AM vs Carmina in terms of quality, build, fit and style? HW vs GYW? Kirby Allison mentioned that HW shoes are like Ferrari and GYW are 3 series BMW. I personally don't have GYW to comment. Only own 2 Vass and couple of blake/rapid Blake stitched shoes. Thank you ✌
Sorry that it wasn't the answer you were looking. ?‍♂️

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re different. Meccariello has a few different levels. Carmina has one. Not sure which you’re comparing but if you’re looking at Argentum vs Carmina it’s Meccariello and it isn’t close.

As you’re looking at these brands since this is like the third one you’ve asked about check out the reply to you on the EB thread.

Beyond that a lot comes down to what you personally value after you figure out what fits. Is it staying within a certain price point? Is it leather quality? Internal components? Construction? Attention to detail on the making and finishing? Speed that you can get your shoes? Country of origin? At the end of the day you’ve gotta decide which part is important to you because something has gotta give on that list - usually price is the fixed constraint. Adjust the dials accordingly to figure out what works for you. With Meccariello time and price are the dials you’re adjusting.

DL120

Reaction score
The 2 are not comparable besides both offering welted footwear. One is a factory produced shoe while the other is a small family artisanal shoemaker who offers some of the highest value footwear in the market range.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
Also this is a stupid comparison that is grossly oversimplified and doesn’t make any sense.
I wasn't sure if he was serious or just promoting one of his affiliated brands. I also never owned European cars (kia driver) ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whatever you buy, I would say buy in the following order
1. aesthetics, I don't care how good the construction if looks ugly to me I'm not buying it
2. fit, up to a point, if it doesn't fit, don't buy it, if it kind work, and you love it enough I personally would compromise a bit, but some might not
3. "adequate construction", gyw is good enough for me most of the time, I pay up for handwelt because I do, and I still have purely blake shoe because I like the aesthetics so I compromise

so in short, handwelt is not end to all but I definitely appreciate it

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
The 2 are not comparable besides both offering welted footwear. One is a factory produced shoe while the other is a small family artisanal shoemaker who offers some of the highest value footwear in the market range.
What advantages would small shoemaker have other than QC? I wonder if a Handmade shoe can be that much better than machine made? I actually thought the other way as the machine would be more productive in a way?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if he was serious or just promoting one of his affiliated brands. I also never owned European cars (kia driver) ?
It ignores the fact that in the ready to wear space there are $200 Goodyear welted shoes and $1,500 Goodyear welted shoes. There are $300 handwelted shoes and $5,000 handwelted shoes.

To use an extreme example a handwelted shoe from say Meermin isn’t a Ferrari while a Goodyear welted shoe from Gaziano or Edward Green isn’t a 3 series.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
Beyond that a lot comes down to what you personally value after you figure out what fits. Is it staying within a certain price point? Is it leather quality? Internal components? Construction? Attention to detail on the making and finishing? Speed that you can get your shoes? Country of origin? At the end of the day you’ve gotta decide which part is important to you because something has gotta give on that list - usually price is the fixed constraint. Adjust the dials accordingly to figure out what works for you. With Meccariello time and price are the dials you’re adjusting.
Value for me means the longevity of a shoe mainly by means of construction leather quality

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads