• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you'd definitely have two pairs from makers that I know next to nothing about other than seeing their product.. Mario Bemer & Norman Vilalta.

For informational purposes and for inquiring minds on SF & beyond, putting some firsthand details out about both brands would be beneficial. ??
sure! the question is where to post this? make a new thread?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. Would make sense to dedicate a proper thread for your comments, although you would need two threads, no?
I suppose I could make a thread like “comparison/test of high end Italian shoemakers etc”. In any case I am very excited to see how they all are compared to my AM and PS which are my benchmarks!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could make a thread like “comparison/test of high end Italian shoemakers etc”. In any case I am very excited to see how they all are compared to my AM and PS which are my benchmarks!

comparison/test of high end shoemakers etc.. Removing Italian would allow folks with Spanish, Chinese, Indonesian, etc. shoes, the opportunity to contribute as well.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so long ago I had a discussion with you all about Stefano Bemer & Mario Bemer. Well turns out for those interested Mario Bemer (the actual Mario) is in a legal dispute with Mario Bemer Firenze (his former company) to remove his name from there as they are a different entity and he has nothing to do with them. I had an interview with him (can post the link if you are interested) and it was great.

There's no dedicated discussion really on those, but I think we all appreciate info about these brands as much as AM here. Our discussion was pretty much which workshop makes the RTW etc.

In any case, his real MTO is +1600$ and that's the one I will be trying.

In the meantime I keep wearing the Hastatus II because they are amazing dang!

On a sidenote, I commissioned a pair of Norman Vilalta too. Anyone has and can compare to AM Argentum?
I've got the 'simple derby' from Vilalta (a green pair, which I think you've seen), though I haven't worn them yet and I don't know if I ever will. They fit just a touch more narrow across the joints in 7.5 than the Chisel 2 does in 7, and I think have a bit less volume in the toebox.

I've got that same Hastatus pair you do, and the Elios boots and a pair of loafers from AM. I'd say that the Vilalta pair I have seems impressive enough, with neat and apparently flawless stitching throughout, not to mention an elegantly seamless heel and a nice quilted footbed. But it just doesn't have the same wow factor that the AM does.

I suppose it's not really an apples to apples comparison, though, especially given the Vibram sole on the Vilaltas. Spanish versus Italian, too, for what that's worth. But I do admire the innovative approaches!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Norman is a super cool and bright guy. Won't clutter up the AM thread about him, but his shoes remind me a lot of Hermes watches in that they are irreverent, high quality and something unique in a sea of sameness. Certainly not for everyone, but definitely have a place in the world.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Back to AM greatness. Friend’s pair. He insisted to have vintage boxcalf and not crust (due to his very JL-influenced taste):

Equites 3, with seamless back
76818C53-07E4-4278-A9F7-11A0C3653461.jpeg 78A7C4D7-712C-4281-AEB3-F5D820AE27C0.jpeg 8A631E0E-B6B6-4D0C-9C5A-BB7A0CCCE135.jpeg AA1E4147-534C-4DE5-A32A-98C0750D989E.jpeg E862FE43-DC4D-477E-A0D6-DF52D5587D39.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would definitely go for some vintage box calf as well next time around

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to AM greatness. Friend’s pair. He insisted to have vintage boxcalf and not crust (due to his very JL-influenced taste):

Equites 3, with seamless back
View attachment 1604077 View attachment 1604078 View attachment 1604079 View attachment 1604080 View attachment 1604081

The selection of vintage boxcalf is always the right move. It's like selecting a navy suit over a Granny Smith green one.

Crust may look vibrant in your 20s and early 30s, but good luck wearing it into your 50s without looking like an over the hill Joker.

Last edited:

boot_owl

Reaction score
comparison/test of high end shoemakers etc.. Removing Italian would allow folks with Spanish, Chinese, Indonesian, etc. shoes, the opportunity to contribute as well.

I actually like the idea of an Italian specific thread - I’ve often come across request for more information on geographically specific shoemaking scenes.

For example I particularly enjoy the high end Chinese shoe thread, and the Japanese one.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually like the idea of an Italian specific thread - I’ve often come across request for more information on geographically specific shoemaking scenes.

For example I particularly enjoy the high end Chinese shoe thread, and the Japanese one.
An Italian specific one would be interesting - A global one similar to the Chinese high end thread could be good as well. Maybe a hand welted RTW thread as a catch all.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought Kostas wanted to compare a few non-Italian shoes to Italian made shoes. Which there most certainly could be an Italian-centric thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads