• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I saw the following picture of this pair of boot by G&G (the name of the model is Thorpe if I'm not mistaken):
View attachment 1543052

Since I really like them, I've started phantasizing about what Antonio could do. Long story short, I asked Angela whether it's possible to have the boot version of these, by adding a 360 Norwegian construction:
View attachment 1543053

I think the result would be stunning. The problem is the price, as she told me the norwegian can be done only on Aurum. Of course, I could leave the Norwegian aside and just going with argentum or handwelted, but I wouldn't get what I really want ?

still a better deal than the EG imo ;-)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I saw the following picture of this pair of boot by G&G (the name of the model is Thorpe if I'm not mistaken):
View attachment 1543052

Since I really like them, I've started phantasizing about what Antonio could do. Long story short, I asked Angela whether it's possible to have the boot version of these, by adding a 360 Norwegian construction:
View attachment 1543053

I think the result would be stunning. The problem is the price, as she told me the norwegian can be done only on Aurum. Of course, I could leave the Norwegian aside and just going with argentum or handwelted, but I wouldn't get what I really want ?

I would just purchase them at the higher price point, or not get anything at all. You will be second guessing and kicking yourself for not getting what you wanted if you turned around and picked up an alternative.

If you purchase nothing, you can always just pick them up at a later date and save both the regret and money the alternative would cost.

Last edited:

4r36

Reaction score
I would just purchase them at the higher price point, or not get anything at all. You will be second guessing and kicking yourself for not getting what you wanted if you turned around and picked up an alternative.

If you purchase nothing, you can always just pick them up at a later date and save both the regret and money the alternative would cost.

Fully agree!!!

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you could gather enough people to do a GMTO that would lower the price point somewhat.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
View attachment 1543052

View attachment 1543053

Boot version of that will turn out more like an EG Nevis than a GG Thorpe. They are pretty different from my experience.

4r36

Reaction score
Boot version of that will turn out more like an EG Nevis than a GG Thorpe. They are pretty different from my experience.
Yep, but the point is not so much to imitate anything. It just happened that the idea of getting a split toe apron boot by Antonio came to my mind after seeing the picture of the G&G's.

styleophile

Reaction score
360 Norwegian construction:
View attachment 1543053

For those among us, who missed this Centurion Pig skin GMTO, I wonder there is enough interest in a Round 2?
Thoughts on Kudu vs Pig skin?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those among us, who missed this Centurion Pig skin GMTO, I wonder there is enough interest in a Round 2?

Both have similar qualities in that they are durable. Kudu is softer. Pigskin, to my eye, looks more interesting because of the texture. It also looks more supple while Kudu comes off as drier. Both are pretty easy to shine. Both would make excellent boots.

I would say Kudu with it's heavy striations probably makes a less versatile looking boot, because those striations would look excessively crowded if you employed medallions, caps, broguing, etc etc. Pigskin might be of better use for add ons.

Last edited:

unprocessed

Reaction score
Does anyone think the Hawskbill last has volume than other lasts? For me, the the instep feels more generous than Chisel 2, although the toe box is tighter.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few last thoughts about Kudu and Pigskin.

Whilst both take a shine (soft shine), don't expect a high shine. If you are lucky enough to make them look like mirrors, the process will take a substantial effort. Like hours type effort.

Also since I'm guessing people want to hard wear them, Kudu, from my experience, does better in the rain vs Pigskin.

Speaking of, Pigskin requires a little more maintenance. Initially it looks supple and rich, but you have to maintain that look. Not crazy maintenance, just a little more brushing than usual. As such, Kudu probably would be the smarter choice as the wear it and forget it boot, while Pigskin the nicer looking option.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, just in pigskin. I need to know my size and specially the price. HAF leather outsole if possible, please. Leather is a must on my side. Thanks!

styleophile

Reaction score
A few last thoughts about Kudu and Pigskin.

Whilst both take a shine (soft shine), don't expect a high shine. If you are lucky enough to make them look like mirrors, expect the process to take a substantial effort. Like hours type effort.

Also since I'm guessing people want to hard wear them, Kudu, from my experience, does better in the rain vs Pigskin.

Speaking of, Pigskin requires a little more maintenance. Initially it looks supple and rich, but you have to maintain that look. Not crazy maintenance, just a little more brushing than usual. As such as, Kudu probably would be the smarter choice as the wear it and forget it boot, while Pigskin the nicer option.

I can see how a GMTO makes most sense as a boot: since the regular Centurion can be configured to taste on the website. I did not see Kudu as an option though. I am sure that is just a matter of speaking with Angela.

I wasn't quite as keen on the full boot à la GG Thorpe/ EG Nevis. I did notice this makeup on Antonio's instagram, which piqued my interest

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see how a GMTO makes most sense as a boot: since the regular Centurion can be configured to taste on the website. I did not see Kudu as an option though. I am sure that is just a matter of speaking with Angela.

I wasn't quite as keen on the full boot à la GG Thorpe/ EG Nevis. I did notice this makeup on Antonio's instagram, which piqued my interest

I absolutely love this leather. Any particular reason why you are not going this route? Already own it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads