• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equally excited!

@clee1982 I asked Antonio. What a nice man he is. Especially with newborn twins now, yet always available.

Shoe Trees sold separately.

Any advice on the soft square last B05?

I wear:
PS: UK 7.5
Carlos Santos: All lasts UK 7.5 (but 389 8)
Crockett & Jones: 348 UK 8 (probably possible to do 7.5)
Septieme Largeur: UK 8
Carmina Rain: UK 8

Thanks everyone. Now just need to figure the patina....
Wait Kostas, so the Patina Equites principes are in fact handwelted at that price?!

Edit: Equites

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, so it's argentum welt not handwelt right? yea shoe tree separate as always

I think it largely depends on if you have toebox width issue

For me
9E UK on GG MH71 (tightest I can go, DG70 and TG73 is no go upsize too long, and definitely no deco for me)
8.5E UK on CJ 348 (but can do with more toebox area, can't size up, too long)
9E UK on Chisel 2 (perfect)
9F UK on Soft Square, now if you don't have toebox width issue maybe you can just do 9E, personally I want to try 9.5E UK in soft square to see if 9F or 9.5E is better in soft square for me

so if you asked me to guess 8.5E UK for soft square?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh wow, then I might have to get one myself..., this is seriously derailing...
It might be good if someone asks him for certainty, but I mean it just says handwelted there.

I used to wear the wrong size UK 7 and I could still fit in there I actually think UK 8 will be fine in these, never gone up to 8.5 so I hesitate a little. Thanks for the comparison, I Know i would size up half for sure with 8.5 TG73

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will share the message Antonio sent explaining the two services here:

Dear David

The first you have to understand ,when you talk about my bespoke service ,is that starting by trial or test shoes these service offer a fully handmade pair
or shoes ,that probably is superior in construction and finishing to a lot of final bespoke shoes made by others.

No shoemaker around the world offers the huge service i offer as bespoke ,because
Starting from our trial shoes or test shoes ,the quality of making and shoes are at the same level of a bespoke final pair made by some other
makers,or probably above.

Antonio

Hi David, thanks for sharing the details about AM's bespoke service, but do you think it's possible to remove the comment he made about other brands. It's quite private and I don't think he intended to share that in public.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dlf1981 It sounds like you were contemplating a few brands.

Since you are/were considering StC (which I own and love), Bemer (also own and adore the aesthetics).. I would say that both Aurum AM and Bemer are better finished than StC. Bemer looks sleeker, in person, to AM's offerings.

I don't own true Bemer Bespoke only Blue Bespoke (or whatever the MTM is called now). AM fits better and feels sturdier than Bemer which for me is more important.

dlf1981

Reaction score
Hi David, thanks for sharing the details about AM's bespoke service, but do you think it's possible to remove the comment he made about other brands. It's quite private and I don't think he intended to share that in public.
Done. Good call. I thought those bits were in another message and didn’t proofread when pasting. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

dlf1981

Reaction score
@dlf1981 It sounds like you were contemplating a few brands.

Since you are/were considering StC (which I own and love), Bemer (also own and adore the aesthetics).. I would say that both Aurum AM and Bemer are better finished than StC. Bemer looks sleeker, in person, to AM's offerings.

I don't own true Bemer Bespoke only Blue Bespoke (or whatever the MTM is called now). AM fits better and feels sturdier than Bemer which for me is more important.
I was indeed. I’m firmly settled on AM at this point, though Bemer has one double monk with the most insane patina !

In terms of going in with a couple of ideas - I will be doing one of his monks andhis Oxford with the curved-to-a-point collar

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Done. Good call. I thought those bits were in another message and didn’t proofread
No worries. I am sure you didn't mean it in any bad way.

just want to add my 0.02.

I own both AM and the 2 brands he mentioned (as a fact I own more shoes in either of the 2 brands then AM). I agree with most of his comments regarding the construction and finishing. The only thing though, it's the wait time will be a bit longer than others.

dlf1981

Reaction score
That’s good to know. I’m patient and used to things taking a while so that’s no worry.

I have no doubt the aforementioned competitors make wonderful shoes. For the price I really like Carmina, and I’ve heard Vass and StC are even better bang for buck. StC has some gorgeous designs.

I may well come out of this bespoke experience looking to explore more brands and just doing MTM, time will tell. I am especially sold on the 100% hand made shoe AM provides from the bespoke service and quite excited, even though I suspect a lot of those details won’t ever matter functionally.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s good to know. I’m patient and used to things taking a while so that’s no worry.

I have no doubt the aforementioned competitors make wonderful shoes. For the price I really like Carmina, and I’ve heard Vass and StC are even better bang for buck. StC has some gorgeous designs.

I may well come out of this bespoke experience looking to explore more brands and just doing MTM, time will tell. I am especially sold on the 100% hand made shoe AM provides from the bespoke service and quite excited, even though I suspect a lot of those details won’t ever matter functionally.

That's good because you will need patience with AM. I call it the Italian factor. Whatever the quoted completion time is multiply it by 1.5x.
Saying that, I am confident you will be extremely pleased with the results.

Antonio has always completed any request I've come up with. His leather selection is second to none, and his clicking is possibly the best in the biz.

Just remember to point out problem areas at the fitting then follow up the points with an email. Should go without saying that you want acknowledgement of those issues both in person and through email.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Equally excited!

@clee1982 I asked Antonio. What a nice man he is. Especially with newborn twins now, yet always available.

Shoe Trees sold separately.

Any advice on the soft square last B05?

I wear:
PS: UK 7.5
Carlos Santos: All lasts UK 7.5 (but 389 8)
Crockett & Jones: 348 UK 8 (probably possible to do 7.5)
Septieme Largeur: UK 8
Carmina Rain: UK 8

Thanks everyone. Now just need to figure the patina....

I suggest 8, remind him to put in 8.5 trees so you can later stretch problem areas by doing tree modification yourself.

Soft square series (i.e. Argentum Soft Square / Aeris Soft Square B05) feel half size smaller - so it can be painful to break in if you follow my size recommendation. But you will be rewarded after breaking in the shoes.

Are you making wholecut / non-wholecut style(s), and will it be in triple box crust or (experimental) patina suede?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads