• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Maybe a bit in that there isn't the interaction of the vamp and facings. That said my Nevis in country grain also kind of rolls and is essentially the same kind of boot as the GG (split toe, pie crust).
For reference I put some shoes next to one another
20201125_004152.jpg

All have aprons. Everything but the Dover has grain.

The GG doesn't have fine creases. Seems consistent on the shaft and the vamp. Wouldn't say it's a flaw by any stretch. Just not as attractive.
20201125_004206.jpg

The EG and AM are quite similar. More rolling but there are creases there just fine.
20201125_004209.jpg
20201125_004203.jpg

Dover as a control. Creases are all very fine but in the same spot as the other shoes
20201125_004211.jpg

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
View attachment 1503606

The GG doesn't have fine creases. Seems consistent on the shaft and the vamp. Wouldn't say it's a flaw by any stretch. Just not as attractive.
View attachment 1503610

The EG and AM are quite similar. More rolling but there are creases there just fine.
View attachment 1503611 View attachment 1503612

Dover as a control. Creases are all very fine but in the same spot as the other shoes
View attachment 1503613

I can see what you mean. That Nevis looks good. If I were to ever get the Nevis that would be the color combination to get!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1503606

View attachment 1503610

View attachment 1503611 View attachment 1503612

View attachment 1503613
At the end of the day, leather creases when you walk in the shoe. It's inevitable, but to my eye those all look fantastic and normal

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I can see what you mean. That Nevis looks good. If I were to ever get the Nevis that would be the color combination to get!
Only thing about it is that the grain is very pronounced and as a direct effect the pie crust effect is diminished (or gets lost in the grain, not sure which it is).

I think in terms of finishing EG and AM are neck to neck, EG has better selection (like Utah) but AM has better clicking. GG probably has better patterns.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. But we nit pick the details that nobody else cares about or notices?
But do we directly attribute it to the maker? I guess so, as they pick the leather and decide how to finish it with some leathers just naturally being more difficult than others

Look at some of StC's crust leather for instance...

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
Only thing about it is that the grain is very pronounced and as a direct effect the pie crust effect is diminished (or gets lost in the grain, not sure which it is).

I think in terms of finishing EG and AM are neck to neck, EG has better selection (like Utah) but AM has better clicking. GG probably has better patterns.

At the end of the day with those makers mentioned you really can't go wrong depending on what your objective is in terms of styling. If you want to be aggressive and modern go with G&G or if you want to have a classic style then go with EG or if you want something in between that can go in either direction then go with AM!

Last edited:

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
But do we directly attribute it to the maker? I guess so, as they pick the leather and decide how to finish it with some leathers just naturally being more difficult than others
I think it's a conscious choice how to work the leather. I think the point wasn't to say GG was bad. It was to say that AM treats his leather differently but is also much stiffer while the GG feels very supple.

I think if a maker elects to use a leather they should be prepared to finish it to whatever standard they hold themselves rather than have inconsistencies. Same reason almost nobody will do a pie crust split toe in cordovan.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a conscious choice how to work the leather. I think the point wasn't to say GG was bad. It was to say that AM treats his leather differently but is also much stiffer while the GG feels very supple.

I think if a maker elects to use a leather they should be prepared to finish it to whatever standard they hold themselves rather than have inconsistencies. Same reason almost nobody will do a pie crust split toe in cordovan.
I didn't read it that way and I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph ?

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it can get hard to compare crease just because you kind have to adjust for how it fits for starter.

oh and in another news, AM says
"shoes are completed, just installing the heel, but the shutdown stopped everything, hopefully start again next week"

that's record time in my experience
There he go!!
And to add insult, he tells everyone that his shoes are also the last to be made :censored:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads