• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Never used Renomat, is the purpose just to strip everything so can redye?

Yes and no. During the early stage of my shoe journey I was stupid enough to take the advice from some websites and do a renomat stripping every few months. It was smelly, unnecessary and caused damage to my patina shoes by unpredictably decolorising them wherever I rub hard It does not remove 100% of the wax in one round either. So it’s a very strange product: inefficiently removes wax, and often attacks dye.

Turpentine, as suggested by Antonio himself, is much more gentle on colour if you want to strip wax. It’s also inexpensive and extremely effective.

To redye, you need one more product: Decapant.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

Zaos1

Reaction score
Yes and no. During the early stage of my shoe journey I was stupid enough to take the advice from some websites and do a renomat stripping every few months. It was smelly, unnecessary and caused damage to my patina shoes by unpredictably decolorising them wherever I rub hard It does not remove 100% of the wax in one round either. So it’s a very strange product: inefficiently removes wax, and often attacks dye.

Turpentine, as suggested by Antonio himself, is much more gentle on colour if you want to strip wax. It’s also inexpensive and extremely effective.

To redye, you need one more product: Decapant.
i think this depend of what kind of leather dye have the shoes... i have a few shoes of a shoe brand called Ace Marks, and noticed the patina was taking off little by little after a year of use, may be was the renovatour xD... but i removed the original leather dye with Reno mat and removed the dye soooo easy... now i painted them by my self with saphir dye and i love the result, like a new shoe :cool:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so renomat is suppose to only remove wax, but I guess because some are crust painted on anyway you end up strip everything

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I think it all depends on what the dye is, how much it penetrates the leather, and what the original solvent was.

sinequanon

Reaction score
I think Antonio makes some really fantastic shoes but unfortunately I have a rather low instep which their shoes don't quite fit well (actually not just AM, this applies to a number of shoemakers, strange feet I have). I guess my only option is to try their MTM? Is their Aurum line equivalent to MTM? Will reach out to AM to discuss but it will be helpful if someone who have experience with it can shred some light on the process, and also want to have a sense how much more will it cost compare to a Argentum MTO. Thanks.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Antonio makes some really fantastic shoes but unfortunately I have a rather low instep which their shoes don't quite fit well (actually not just AM, this applies to a number of shoemakers, strange feet I have). I guess my only option is to try their MTM? Is their Aurum line equivalent to MTM? Will reach out to AM to discuss but it will be helpful if someone who have experience with it can shred some light on the process, and also want to have a sense how much more will it cost compare to a Argentum MTO. Thanks.

I believe AM has a HW MTM Argentum service (or did) which would make that an option.
I can't speak of the other options other than Aurum MTM and Bespoke.

Price for MTM Aurum is about ~1850€ to ~1900€, not including extras like toe taps, topys, etc. It does include a trial shoe. Process would involve taking both pictures and measurements of your feet. This will serve as the basis for the trial pair. Takes about 3 to 4 months if I recall correctly, though I could be wrong on that since it it was about 4 or 5 years ago I did it, to receive the trial pair. Antonio wants roughly 3 to 4 weeks of wear to determine optimal fit before progressing towards the finalized shoe.

Thereafter, you can expect another 10 to 12 months to receive your shoes. It can potentially take longer depending on how elaborate you want the shoe to be (wholecut seamless is a toughie), or how many clients he had ahead of you.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think he can do last modification even with Argentum MTO, but will cost. Not sure how low is your instep, i.e. I think even Aurum is based of existing last, so it's all last modification, just not sure if last modification alone will get you there.

Zaos1

Reaction score
I readed someone around here said AM have plans to launch a new líne with low instep for all the people wich doesnt fit so well all his actual last.... if this is true for sure is going to take a while until they are ready ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I readed someone around here said AM have plans to launch a new líne with low instep for all the people wich doesnt fit so well all his actual last.... if this is true for sure is going to take a while until they are ready ?

I don’t recall, any idea which post?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads