• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I guess by English dandy I really just mean GG, and when I say heft I really just mean “visually” I suppose.

edit: if the stereotype is say CJ GYW vs say random italian Blake stitch loafer then English definitely have the “heft” in that case

shoes83

Reaction score
I'm a little intrigued by that, as I always remember something David Bowie said once in an interview. He was saying that when you wear a suit you need a good, solid British shoe at the end of your leg, not a dainty Italian one, or something along those lines.

I guess maybe it's the case that both British and Italian makers span that range of styles? I mean, I can think of a number of Italian looks -- many loafers, in particular -- that tend toward the 'dandy'. And then of course things like Trickers that seem built like a tank.

I also really, really want to try the Hawksbill last. I'm wondering how similar it is to the Huang by Oct Tent.
I think Bowie had in mind shoes with Blake construction in Italy.

Also curious about which British shoes clee1982 has in mind. But I can tell you that the GG Classic, which I though were pretty sturdy, are definitely less so than the AM. I was surprised when I put one foot in each for the photos in the prior post.

shoes83

Reaction score
Well I guess by English dandy I really just mean GG, and when I say heft I really just mean “visually” I suppose.

edit: if the stereotype is say CJ GYW vs say random italian Blake stitch loafer then English definitely have the “heft” in that case
Messages crossed! :)

LThomsen

Reaction score
I think Bowie had in mind shoes with Blake construction in Italy.

Also curious about which British shoes clee1982 has in mind. But I can tell you that the GG Classic, which I though were pretty sturdy, are definitely less so than the AM. I was surprised when I put one foot in each for the photos in the prior post.
In your opinion, how does the G& G classic range shoe compare to your AM in terms of quality of materials, construction, fit and finishing?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only have mainline GG (non-deco), construction is better on AM (GYW vs. AW, but you can never tell anyway though), and if you just look at how the heel is finished on AM, how tight the waist is on AM etc., then AM is better.

I thought GG Classic is slight step down to GG mainline (though other than without fieddleback, never paid attention to what else is different), so that should be pretty clear. Though GG classic do have a different aesthetics as well, which I think compare favorably to other English guy in that price range, and for people who don't want the "sleekness" from mainline GG

Last word though, at least mainline wise GG fit very differently (on me) vs. AM, so fit is king, that should be your number 1 decision factor if you ask me.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Argentum line’s finishing is quite well, pretty close to mainline GG. The waist tho, is definitely tighter.

gg on the left, am on the right

5BE44494-A51C-46AD-89AE-636E11F7F354.jpeg

shoes83

Reaction score
In your opinion, how does the G& G classic range shoe compare to your AM in terms of quality of materials, construction, fit and finishing?
I think the GG Classic range is very good. I got it with 20% off, so I think it was a decent deal. That should be part of the consideration when you're thinking about value or comparing them.

I think the level of finish is very good, but a bit more "basic" than on AM Argentum. The later is probably more comparable to GG main line, as said above.

GG doesn't spend as much time on construction, waist, details, etc, but the leather is great (upper probably softer on the outside than AM), although I can't compare colors because my GG Classic is in black.

See a couple of pictures below.

Attachments

• 20200917_130958.jpg
    20200917_130958.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200917_131013.jpg
    20200917_131013.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200917_131028.jpg
    20200917_131028.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20200917_131034.jpg
    20200917_131034.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 137

shoes83

Reaction score
GG's leather is thinner, that's why you feel it being softer.

AM's leather, IMO, is one of the best if comparing with shoes in the same price range.
I agree, definitely thinner on GG Classic and AM seems higher quality.

Sorry, I wasn't making any statements on quality on this point, more of a comparison of how they feel in my feet.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anybody has any AM shoes in 7.5 they've been thinking about selling or trading, please let me know! I know the fitting can be iffy, so I thought I'd check to see if perhaps someone is hanging on to something that doesn't fit well. I have lots of stuff I could trade!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AM trade, good idea, anyone got UK 9E they want to dump?

LThomsen

Reaction score
I wear a 11 E in AM's round last, any sizing suggestions and experiences with the hawksbill and soft square aa88?

shoes83

Reaction score
I wear a 11 E in AM's round last, any sizing suggestions and experiences with the hawksbill and soft square aa88?
I think the best approach here is to check AM's website for how to take your A B C measurements. Then you can exchange emails with them and they can opine on your size.
Thats what I did a few months ago when I ordered my first pair.
I'm a US size 12D and ordered Hawksbill 11.5E (regular width). Fit was spot on.
They told me 11.5E also on Soft Square, but 11E on both Chisel lasts and Round.

bsarosi

Reaction score

Concur with what @shoes83 said. Contact AM but I’d hazard to guess you’re a 11.5E in Hawksbill and Soft Square (half size up from Round/Chisel lasts).

Marshak

Reaction score

I'm interested by your feedback. I commonly wear 6UK size and ordered a 6,5 in Hawksbill which fits me very well. Like you I'm also looking at their Argentum Round model. They advised me to take the same size that the Hawksbill but I fear it'd be too large and too loose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads