• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
how does AM treat shell, I had enough with bloom shell..., no more shell for me (all CJ, had an alden with fit issue sold so no idea how would it deal with bloom)

I remember you don't like shell due to maintenance difficulties. So it was almost like the worst combination for you. I got kicked out of the business meeting. :p

This is original Horween shell untreated. I will let you know what happens after rain (which happens only slightly less frequently than Singapore in the city I live).

You can request some exotics... perhaps... hippo? :stirpot:

CFDDD819-A83C-445F-A012-DAB08E44909A.jpeg
waist sanded down

6F6989FF-37C2-4409-B943-61449344FE39.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup same, hatch grain would be my “exotic”...

Although I am no longer a fan, Cordovan would be fine. Camel, and Kangaroo works due to the smooth nature.

I'd accent, say, a pair of tassel loafers with a similar colored reptile or lizard skin tassels. Essentially something less overt.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of these exotics are more novelty and/or exclusivity. Most of them just do not appeal to me. I do not have any clue how to make 90% of them work without them looking costumy, or making you look like a pimp.

brown hippo (and even gator) suede is quite amazing. Still on the fence if I’d really want it though...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about dark green lizard tassel (it would look brown to you), you sure you're not a pimp again?

Most likely yes it would look brown, which would be fine color wise ?.

Nooooo no no. I gave up the pimp game long ago. Some of my hoes were too smart for their own good. Tried to Unionize and I wasn't prepared to pay backpay or time and a half for overtime. Moreover, I started to develop
Hypothenar hammer syndrome since I was keeping my pimp hand strong.

Pimping ain't easy.

Last edited:

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask you Italian experts and connoisseurs about something since the Paolo thread is pretty much non-existent? How appealing would an MTO/GMTO be on a longwing with shark or alligator bi-material? Is there market for this? Do any of you have such make ups? Anyone with a bi-material exotic AM shoe?

Hope it's ok to ask here!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bi-material on longwing? where are you going to do it, the entire part "above the longwing line"? then with norweigan? that sounds too much for me...

edit: I have bi-material AM, but it's always very subdued hatch grain on facing etc.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bi-material on longwing? where are you going to do it, the entire part "above the longwing line"? then with norweigan? that sounds too much for me...

edit: I have bi-material AM, but it's always very subdued hatch grain on facing etc.
Doesn't have to be norwegian, but yes I was thinking about above the line. Could you show a pic of the Mecc for some inspiration?

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I ask you Italian experts and connoisseurs about something since the Paolo thread is pretty much non-existent? How appealing would an MTO/GMTO be on a longwing with shark or alligator bi-material? Is there market for this? Do any of you have such make ups? Anyone with a bi-material exotic AM shoe?

Hope it's ok to ask here!
I would honestly recommend against a longwing for your business sake, but I suppose a GMTO is low risk. The longwing is a classic American style that seems to be falling out of favor as dress codes get more casual. Menswear snobs consider it too casual with suits, and Americans think it's too formal.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharkskin is a very strong texture leather, I don't think it works really well with other leathers. The only good example I saw was shark + cordovan which both EB and AM have used that combo on boots.
I also think sharkskin is leaning toward "streetwear and denim" category, I just cannot image how sharkskin works with suits or even chino + SC.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would honestly recommend against a longwing for your business sake, but I suppose a GMTO is low risk. The longwing is a classic American style that seems to be falling out of favor as dress codes get more casual. Menswear snobs consider it too casual with suits, and Americans think it's too formal.
GMTOs are a safe way to be creative and test the waters, worst case everyone gets their money back and there is no harm. I totally agree with what you said, I brought some simple sneakers in the shop and they disappeared in a month.

I wonder what sparks your (plural) interest in a GMTO by a high end maker like AM. Is it the style? Is it the leather? All together?

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shark or similar textures leathers for me only go with very casual boots...long wing seems a very bad fit given the pattern and the texture. Just my 2 cts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads