• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Antonio says he knows how to colour crust cordovan. I asked other makers who either refuse to do it or said it’s impossible (“pores are closed”, Phillip Car said).

As to how they will affect the upkeep of the shoes I have no idea. Per AM’s usual logic if it’s bad he wouldn’t do it.

I think AM cordovan shoes don’t have acrylic finishing agent applied. They are just what they are as when they are supplied from Horween. In fact the shell for my chelsea boots was thoroughly soaked in water before the crimping step - if it leads to any discolouration or wax bloom, it would have showed up?

418093CD-58C7-47E8-B70E-DFD0538C0239.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a very American casual look. But this stying seems to be quite different from the AM type house style. Btw has AM made cordovan shoes before? I don't recall seeing any in the past?

Btw, what is your IG handle? Would be nice to see regular postings on your 100+ shoes.

Well @shirtingfantasy took care of that visual example of AM's cordovan shoes haha.

Alden definitely is the blah American silhouette, along with AE. If you compare it to AM, it seems prehistoric. Although, I must say I like it because of that visual difference. Not to mention it holds sentimental value due to it being my first ever cordovan. Additionally, it demonstrates my progression on this long, sometimes absent minded & impulsive, shoe journey.

I remember at the time thinking I was crazy to spend so much for a pair of heavy a$$ shoes. How I have expanded those self-imposed restraints since. ?

I actually do not do IG, or Facebook, or any interactive social media. I guess I am old school. Plus my wife and I promised each other we would not engage in practices that would distract us from the kids or ourselves.

I found that, when we were on FB years ago, it was too much of an addictive behavior. It becomes part of the daily routine. Like me see what such and such posted, or what they are doing, who has commented, etc. It kind of becomes a vicious cycle where you are trapped in that loop.

I think I read somewhere your average person checks their phone 100 times a day. So if we were so wrapped up in our phones, our fear was something could happen with the kids and we would miss it (positive or negative).

Anywho, feels cool to still make those connections through personal contact, or a phone calI, or an email.

Saying that, I would love to show my shoes like some of the other fellas do. Probably will do once the kids get older. When I do, I'll let you boys know. In the meantime, you have to settle for me flashing bad pictures with my phone ?.

By the way, I appreciate you guys on SF sharing your IG posts. Keeps me up to date since I miss EVERYTHING cool haha.

alden shell has those acrylic finish though? How long do they last (I guess given your rotation that’s not an issue)

You hit the nail on the head. It really is a non issue given the amount of shoes I have. Same thing with resoling. I laugh at the notion.. Har Har Harrrrrdeee har har (Ralph Kramden laugh for those with older fathers you will understand or some of you old farts yourselves ?).

Last edited:

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Well @shirtingfantasy took care of that visual example of AM's cordovan shoes haha.

Alden definitely is the blah American silhouette, along with AE. If you compare it to AM, it seems prehistoric. Although, I must say I like it because of that visual difference. Not to mention it holds sentimental value due to it being my first ever cordovan. Additionally, it demonstrates my progression on this long, sometimes absent minded & impulsive, shoe journey.

I remember at the time thinking I was crazy to spend so much for a pair of heavy a$$ shoes. How I have expanded those self-imposed restraints since. ?

I actually do not do IG, or Facebook, or any interactive social media. I guess I am old school. Plus my wife and I promised each other we would not engage in practices that would distract us from the kids or ourselves.

I found that, when we were on FB years ago, it was too much of an addictive behavior. It becomes part of the daily routine. Like me see what such and such posted, or what they are doing, who has commented, etc. It kind of becomes a vicious cycle where you are trapped in that loop.

I think I read somewhere your average person checks their phone 100 times a day. So if we were so wrapped up in our phones, our fear was something could happen with the kids and we would miss it (positive or negative).

Anywho, feels cool to still make those connections through personal contact, or a phone calI, or an email.

Saying that, I would love to show my shoes like some of the other fellas do. Probably will do once the kids get older. When I do, I'll let you boys know. In the meantime, you have to settle for me flashing bad pictures with my phone ?.

By the way, I appreciate you guys on SF sharing your IG posts. Keeps me up to date since I miss EVERYTHING cool haha.

You hit the nail on the head. It really is a non issue given the amount of shoes I have. Same thing with resoling. I laugh at the notion.. Har Har Harrrrrdeee har har (Ralph Kramden laugh for those with older fathers you will understand or some of you old farts yourselves ?).

u lucky your wife asked you to give up social media with her instead of giving up wearing shoes! ?

Checking how shiny your shoes are may pose a larger distraction compared to social media. But then again probably a good thing or you will be making us boys waste a whole lot of time each day checking out your collection. ?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
u lucky your wife asked you to give up social media with her instead of giving up wearing shoes! ?

Checking how shiny your shoes are may pose a larger distraction compared to social media. But then again probably a good thing or you will be making us boys waste a whole lot of time each day checking out your collection. ?

Actually the other reason is for my safety. If I posted that many pictures of all my shoes, how on earth can I deny they are all my shoes.

As @clee1982 mentioned before his wife would kill him. Mines would ask me to buy her just as many. So it is not for my physical safety but my financial safety. ?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I used to have close to 100 ties, now I’m down to <24 (or whatever fits in one self identified “box”), when my wife ask how many tie I had (when I had close to 100), I always mumble it being probably about 50, so I guess you deploy same strategy...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way with all the talk on blobby American last I think it still has its place, color 8 LWB is very classic just wish they do it in say plaza last?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I received my 2 pairs recently. Such lovely shoes.

pictures!

by the way wonder what happen to the gmto where heel counter was of the other design and people didn’t want that model, some future outlet stock or patina service?

bsarosi

Reaction score
pictures!

by the way wonder what happen to the gmto where heel counter was of the other design and people didn’t want that model, some future outlet stock or patina service?

Believe you’re referring to the Hastatus 2, which we were just discussing above. Sounds like they’re starting to be shipped out. Members had the option of receiving their order without the peaked heel counter or waiting 2-3 months longer for their order to be corrected. For the orders that wanted a remake with the peaked heel counter, it’s probably a good guess that the original pairs will show up on AM’s website as outlet stock.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rare gems.

Wow! These are fantastic. I only own one pair of shell cordovan (jodphur boots from another maker) in my collection and a wallet. I don't obsess over shell like some of my shoe friends, but I also appreciate it as a unique type of leather in my rotation (recently added waxed kudu, Utah hatchgrain, Russian calf from Bakers).

I've found that calf creases and shell rolls/blooms. If you're the type that wants their shoes/boots to look pristine for the IG post every time, I wouldn't recommend shell.

It was a bit of a learning curve for me, b/c I'm used to doing mirror shines on calf and then learning a different method for shell.

For calf, it takes forever for the initial mirror shine. Afterwards, it's constant touch-ups to restore the shine or let it gradually wear off over several wears and do a bit more of a substantial touch up to restore the mirror shine.

For shell, there's really no point in getting a mirror shine b/c it already has a shiny look to it and you have to use different materials. It has different absorption properties than calf. I've been told to use either the Saphir creme polish only or the special cordovan creme and a stiff horsehair brush. The rolls and the blooming are all supposed to be part of the 'charm' of shell. You can use a deer bone if you're fancy to flatten out the rolls. The blooming is taken care of with a wet cloth and brush or the cordovan creme and brush. It's also a sign that the shell is healthy and exuding fats.

I've done minor touch ups on my shell with the cordovan creme and a horsehair brush every few wears and it takes much less time than calf mirror shine maintenance. It's great for shoes that you don't want to be fussy about and cut down on maintenance.

All in all, I appreciate both types, but will most likely stick with just one pair of shell in the rotation and spread the love around to other leathers in the future (i.e., lizard, different types of grain calf, etc.)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
deer bone is really unnecessary though, like even a spoon will do..., though in terms of touch up, in your example was it rained/snowed on? I think if there are no rain what not then shell isn't so bad, but as soon as it gets wet then it takes forever relative to calf

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! These are fantastic. I only own one pair of shell cordovan (jodphur boots from another maker) in my collection and a wallet. I don't obsess over shell like some of my shoe friends, but I also appreciate it as a unique type of leather in my rotation (recently added waxed kudu, Utah hatchgrain, Russian calf from Bakers).

I've found that calf creases and shell rolls/blooms. If you're the type that wants their shoes/boots to look pristine for the IG post every time, I wouldn't recommend shell.

It was a bit of a learning curve for me, b/c I'm used to doing mirror shines on calf and then learning a different method for shell.

For calf, it takes forever for the initial mirror shine. Afterwards, it's constant touch-ups to restore the shine or let it gradually wear off over several wears and do a bit more of a substantial touch up to restore the mirror shine.

For shell, there's really no point in getting a mirror shine b/c it already has a shiny look to it and you have to use different materials. It has different absorption properties than calf. I've been told to use either the Saphir creme polish only or the special cordovan creme and a stiff horsehair brush. The rolls and the blooming are all supposed to be part of the 'charm' of shell. You can use a deer bone if you're fancy to flatten out the rolls. The blooming is taken care of with a wet cloth and brush or the cordovan creme and brush. It's also a sign that the shell is healthy and exuding fats.

I've done minor touch ups on my shell with the cordovan creme and a horsehair brush every few wears and it takes much less time than calf mirror shine maintenance. It's great for shoes that you don't want to be fussy about and cut down on maintenance.

All in all, I appreciate both types, but will most likely stick with just one pair of shell in the rotation and spread the love around to other leathers in the future (i.e., lizard, different types of grain calf, etc.)

Perfectly said! Shell leather definitely is a niche leather. There are a lot of characteristics that you must accept. Constant blooming, never ending rolls, spots in the rain, heavy as hell, as pliable as metal, an hour worth of brushing wasted once a speck of dust finds its way unto your toe caps.

Dealing with Shell is hard. You can love it but, believe me, it doesn't always love you back. Similar to dating a German chick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads