• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely agree with @clee1982 concerning bad weather leather. Suede with a protector, or a grain type leather are amazing, especially in cities with inclement weather. Alpine, and Inca from my experience are excellent resilient leathers, not to mention easy care. In fact, all of these are low maintenance, and look fantastic on pretty much any AM last.

by the way the CJ wax calf are pretty good (though I believe they’re not wax calf by the old day standard per DW), I maintain matte finish on them, so care regime is pretty easy...

I heard church’s polish binder are good, but I can only imagine it as Alden PTB alternative rather than smart dress shoes...

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Kangaroo leather is extremely extremely underrated. I have a pair of Austerities in Dark Navy kang. leather. The leather is soft, lighter than cow (so lighter weighted shoes) pliable, and takes a beating in bad weather. Unfortunately there is the wrinkling @shirtingfantasy mentioned, but I believe the positives outweigh the negatives.

I would love to pick up another pair in another color but do a LWB.

Price and construction aside, I believe there is a shoe brand that regularly stocks dress shoes in kangaroo...

The one under the LVMH group, that is ?

boot_owl

Reaction score
I like shells just not on the Wholecut Oxford model. I recall a few years ago my “holy grail” shoe was a shell seamless Wholecut but over time realized that it was not a good idea. Perhaps she’ll for a Chelsea would work better because it is a boot. The good thing about a boot is that it looks great polished and shiny but equally looks superb scruffy and beat up. Gongdrew on IG just posted his Yanko Shell Cordovan boots as attached. A good point of reference but note that his shell cordovan is sourced from Rocado (I.e Italian)

as the owner of these shellseas, for reference: I wear these primarily on wet days and have never hit them with any cream, brushing and damp cloth only. 30 wears.

Tbh im not a huge fan of shellseas anymore now that I own a pair. Something about the way the shaft rolls just doesn’t appeal to me

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Price and construction aside, I believe there is a shoe brand that regularly stocks dress shoes in kangaroo...

The one under the LVMH group, that is ?

This one is not LVMH, but I'd argue better made ?.

Had to look through old files because I wanted you guys to see a sample of Kangaroo shoes. Buday so they are HW, made on a rubber sole (definitely useful for pavement & train station walking). I would show you the pictures of the actual shoes, but no clue where they are haha.

Screenshot_20200216-233053_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200216-234402_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
by the way the CJ wax calf are pretty good (though I believe they’re not wax calf by the old day standard per DW), I maintain matte finish on them, so care regime is pretty easy...

I heard church’s polish binder are good, but I can only imagine it as Alden PTB alternative rather than smart dress shoes...

Nooooo! don't do Church polished binder. I have a pair of their consuls in that material and the leather has cracked and there is a hole now on the vamp now where my foot bends. Polished binder is a good shoe for the average guy who likes to have zero maintenance shoes as they can really take a beating and still look pretty decent. Also they are good for wet weather as the treatment of the leather makes it fully waterproof. But i would think majority of the typical SFers would gag and go into a mini fit seeing polished binder.

@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes The best soccer boots are made of Kangaroo leather! Extremely light and tough as nails. Remember the Adidas Kangaroo Predators and the Puma Made in Japan Kangaroo kicks! I remember everyone sporting Kangaroo boots back in the 2000s World Cups. Also quite a few top grade competitive bike jackets use Kangaroo for the strength qualities of the skin.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
as the owner of these shellseas, for reference: I wear these primarily on wet days and have never hit them with any cream, brushing and damp cloth only. 30 wears.

Tbh im not a huge fan of shellseas anymore now that I own a pair. Something about the way the shaft rolls just doesn’t appeal to me

Gongdrew is that you?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes The best soccer boots are made of Kangaroo leather! Extremely light and tough as nails. Remember the Adidas Kangaroo Predators and the Puma Made in Japan Kangaroo kicks! I remember everyone sporting Kangaroo boots back in the 2000s World Cups. Also quite a few top grade competitive bike jackets use Kangaroo for the strength qualities of the skin.

This confirms what I was saying. If Kangaroo leather is good enough to have players run around and participate in sports.. In all sorts of weather... Should be good enough to walk around in.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This one is not LVMH, but I'd argue better made ?.

Had to look through old files because I wanted you guys to see a sample of Kangaroo shoes. Buday so they are HW, made on a rubber sole (definitely useful for pavement & train station walking). I would show you the pictures of the actual shoes, but no clue where they are haha.

View attachment 1338532 View attachment 1338533

that looks almost lambskin? Do they maintain shape well though?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way scary thought that you don’t know where your shoes are... are you sure it’s only 108...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that looks almost lambskin? Do they maintain shape well though?

They definitely retain their shape extremely well. The leather is thinner but stronger than calf.

By the way scary thought that you don’t know where your shoes are... are you sure it’s only 108...

Well it was 104 from my last count a year ago in January. I picked up several shoes since then. It could be closer to 108 actually.

And I mean not sure what closet or storage area haha. I have to do a better job of organization I guess.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nooooo! don't do Church polished binder. I have a pair of their consuls in that material and the leather has cracked and there is a hole now on the vamp now where my foot bends. Polished binder is a good shoe for the average guy who likes to have zero maintenance shoes as they can really take a beating and still look pretty decent. Also they are good for wet weather as the treatment of the leather makes it fully waterproof. But i would think majority of the typical SFers would gag and go into a mini fit seeing polished binder.

Not that I’d advocate getting a pair of Wholecuts in them, but give me the textile material of the Nike Vapors any day. Nothing cooler for footy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads