• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this price point, are they comparable to G&G, Lobb? In terms of leather quality and workmanship? And a step above Enzo Bonafe?

Attachments

• 3F8F4A2D-F2AA-40B7-A4C6-4180CAF62F59.jpeg
    3F8F4A2D-F2AA-40B7-A4C6-4180CAF62F59.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 99F85695-0CB0-45C6-BFB4-4619BCFB1457.jpeg
    99F85695-0CB0-45C6-BFB4-4619BCFB1457.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 369E4B74-5F2A-48E4-ADBC-C9B98986A3C4.jpeg
    369E4B74-5F2A-48E4-ADBC-C9B98986A3C4.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 50

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At this price point, are they comparable to G&G, Lobb? In terms of leather quality and workmanship? And a step above Enzo Bonafe?

I would say better, but does the last fit you, are you familiar with AM sizing is probably first question..., also I was under the impression Deucrion 3 is a stock model (i.e. cheaper than single MTO), though on top of my head can't remember what's the color...

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say better, but does the last fit you, are you familiar with AM sizing is probably first question..., also I was under the impression Deucrion 3 is a stock model (i.e. cheaper than single MTO), though on top of my head can't remember what's the color...
I was advised to go 1/2 size bigger than my usual size by AM. They do not have much in 11.5 UK available in RTW in the chisel lasts in oxblood or burgundy colors

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score

JL/GG/AM are all really different animals and the comparison would be akin to a comparison of Mclaren/Lamborghini/Ferrari. They are all top of their league and sexy as hell. Form and function is top notch. But like cars, each brand has many different models so it is dependent on the model you choose and the entire make up, i.e. it can vary greatly.

Having said that, bear in mind that each maker have their own house style so in general it is easy to spot which brand speaks to you. E.g. if you are a sucker for tradition then of course JL is the maker to go for as they have been around since 1849. G&G make a quintessentially English shoe with a modern twist, e.g. their fiddleback waist which is not found in traditional Northampton shoes. Interesting to note that GG also recently made a pair for Prince Charles and you can see their post in their official IG page a couple of days ago. Break in for JL and GG are less brutal and in general i find their shoes to be quite a fair bit lighter than AM. Although i believe they source from the same tanneries, i feel that their leathers seem softer- not sure why though? Maybe the finishing or they skive their leathers to make it thinner?
AM shoes are built like tanks, heavy AF and leather is generally stiffer. To me, AM is a step above Enzo in terms of overall craftsmanship. But you can't go wrong with EB, really nice handwelted lighter and more comfortable italian shoes.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you choosing HW version or something? I just went to his website then get stock Decurion 3 (still a pre-order), my px is pre toe tap, but still 549.18 euro is way less than 800 euro

1581643037305.png

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JL/GG/AM are all really different animals and the comparison would be akin to a comparison of Mclaren/Lamborghini/Ferrari. They are all top of their league and sexy as hell. Form and function is top notch. But like cars, each brand has many different models so it is dependent on the model you choose and the entire make up, i.e. it can vary greatly.

Having said that, bear in mind that each maker have their own house style so in general it is easy to spot which brand speaks to you. E.g. if you are a sucker for tradition then of course JL is the maker to go for as they have been around since 1849. G&G make a quintessentially English shoe with a modern twist, e.g. their fiddleback waist which is not found in traditional Northampton shoes. Interesting to note that GG also recently made a pair for Prince Charles and you can see their post in their official IG page a couple of days ago. Break in for JL and GG are less brutal and in general i find their shoes to be quite a fair bit lighter than AM. Although i believe they source from the same tanneries, i feel that their leathers seem softer- not sure why though? Maybe the finishing or they skive their leathers to make it thinner?
AM shoes are built like tanks, heavy AF and leather is generally stiffer. To me, AM is a step above Enzo in terms of overall craftsmanship. But you can't go wrong with EB, really nice handwelted lighter and more comfortable italian shoes.
I completely agree that the British counterparts are totally different in terms of styling. I do greatly appreciate the in depth information you have provided for AM as I have no experience or have handled them before. G&G and lobb I have come across and they sure are top notch!!

When it comes to cars that is a subject I do have vast knowledge of. Not that it matters here but I would not touch a Ferrari or a Lamborghini with a 6 foot pole. To each it’s own they are junk to me!

Most of previous purchases were of the traditional boots, oxfords, Chukka etc hence the AM styling, last etc is something that I was drawn to.

Thank you Sir for the reply!!

BomTrady

Reaction score

I couldn’t have said this better. I’ve been making these very same points. Perfectly written in my view.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I completely agree that the British counterparts are totally different in terms of styling. I do greatly appreciate the in depth information you have provided for AM as I have no experience or have handled them before. G&G and lobb I have come across and they sure are top notch!!

When it comes to cars that is a subject I do have vast knowledge of. Not that it matters here but I would not touch a Ferrari or a Lamborghini with a 6 foot pole. To each it’s own they are junk to me!

Most of previous purchases were of the traditional boots, oxfords, Chukka etc hence the AM styling, last etc is something that I was drawn to.

Thank you Sir for the reply!!

In my apartment block, i happen to have a neighbor with a Ferrari and a neighbor with a Lamborghini (both of whom i am friends with). I always have a grope of their cars when i park next to them :cool: Feels nice and.....Italian

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely agree with everything here. I would add Edward Green as an option if you wanted a British shoe. I believe them to be the pick of the litter (Foster & Sons's new factory notwithstanding) amongst this bunch of English shoemakers. Beautiful leathers, forgiving lasts, age better than most, and helpful customer service.

As @styc mentioned the AMs at this price point are rather stiff, and the shoes relatively heavy compared to JL and G&G. This does not mean you are receiving inferior leather. More often than not, Antonio uses box calf. Box calf is stiff compared to crust (something about the dyeing process) with black being the most harshest to break. On a positive note, it will not crease as badly as your soft leathers (like crust which G&G/JL/EG all use). Anyone who owns a pair of G&Gs can attest to what the shoes look like after 10 wears vs what Meccariello's shoes look like (don't ask what your feet look like after 10 wears of AMs shoes hahaha).

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Definitely agree with everything here. I would add Edward Green as an option if you wanted a British shoe. I believe them to be the pick of the litter (Foster & Sons's new factory notwithstanding) amongst this bunch of English shoemakers. Beautiful leathers, forgiving lasts, age better than most, and helpful customer service.

As @styc mentioned the AMs at this price point are rather stiff, and the shoes relatively heavy compared to JL and G&G. This does not mean you are receiving inferior leather. More often than not, Antonio uses box calf. Box calf is stiff compared to crust (something about the dyeing process) with black being the most harshest to break. On a positive note, it will not crease as badly as your soft leathers (like crust which G&G/JL/EG all use). Anyone who owns a pair of G&Gs can attest to what the shoes look like after 10 wears vs what Meccariello's shoes look like (don't ask what your feet look like after 10 wears of AMs shoes hahaha).

The solution to all these problems is to buy one pair from each maker.... heck if space and budget permits why not two pairs from each maker?

LThomsen

Reaction score
I agree about buying a pair from each maker, however, one of the biggest advantages of buying AM shoes is that Antonio is making the shoes for you. If you buy from G &G, JL, EG, Stc, Stefano bemer, etc you don't know who is actually making the shoes for you. I like giving my business to the individual who is actually making the shoes. A good friend said it well yesterday upon receiving 3 new pairs of AM shoes, "l just like giving my business to small maker and artist not to a large company that under pays their shoe makers to make profit and have retail shops."

unprocessed

Reaction score
Photos of bad creasing on G&G kept me from getting a pair, which turned out to be a good thing. Hard to justify paying $1500 pair of G&G when you can get 2 or even 3 pairs of AM for that price and similar quality. AM also doesn’t have steep up charges for custom patina (which is amazingly cheap considering what an amazing job Antonio always does) toe plates, shoe trees, etc.

I now have 6 pairs of AMs and wear them almost every day for work. AMs are quite heavy, but I’ve luckily found the break in period to be tolerable. I’m not in pain at the end of the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads