• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would love some RTW Chelsea boot options, even with just normal leather. Is the consensus that Cordovan makes a good boot option because it doesn’t crease as much as leather?

no, it's going to have a roll, not sure if you would like the roll on shell or not.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you guys never have problem of back side of the chelsea got caught on trouser (i.e. you sit down then get up, the back side of chelsea caught the pant)? that's why I prefer low cut chelsea (or go higher, side zip), and definitely NOT shell, hard to take care of, no benefit as far as I'm concerned...

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
you guys never have problem of back side of the chelsea got caught on trouser (i.e. you sit down then get up, the back side of chelsea caught the pant)? that's why I prefer low cut chelsea (or go higher, side zip), and definitely NOT shell, hard to take care of, no benefit as far as I'm concerned...

I have to agree with @clee1982 . After owning about 20 pairs of shells from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Carmina, Enzo, Vintage Bostonians, Vintage Florsheims, Rancourt, Meermin etc, I really see little advantage of shell over calf especially given the huge upcharge. IMHO, calf is way easier to care for, calf is also not as hot to wear in hotter cities such as Singapore. Furthermore, shell tends to have a **** ton of wax bloom making the shoe look informal and beat; the only way to combat this is to brush the shoes constantly and also at times use a deer bone to even out the heavily impregnated waxes.

I like many other guys on SF who caught the shell cordovan bug early on and ended up with dozens of pairs would at the end of the day say that shell is more suited for work wear (i.e. rough boots/service boots) and perhaps small leather goods like watch straps and card holders.

In sum, my take is that Shell on "fancy" shoes like oxfords and wholecuts is really not the ideal material choice. Probably the usual high grade calf offerings would be a better long term "investment" that you wouldn't get sick of. Unless, you are getting a fancy shell pair just for the purposes of art....right @shirtingfantasy ? ;)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think shell on Alden LWB/PTB looks good with say flannel/tweed/jeans, but a sharp smart suit, probably not.

also kind annoying how Alden insist Barrie on LWB, I get it but at the same time don’t like it...

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Shells remind me of Luxury pick up trucks. They look great cleaned up and shiny, but ultimately they are utility vehicles. Agree with @clee1982 that they do look good with Flannels, and darn good with Jeans.

I agree that shells would look best with jeans/tweeds. Having said that tweeds are too hot where i live and wearing that would make you look like a total douche. I wear jeans on the weekends but see myself going for sneakers, suede chukkas or suede loafers most of the time. Plodding around in shell boots/longwings is too formal a setting to go to the grocers or to go watch a movie.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that shells would look best with jeans/tweeds. Having said that tweeds are too hot where i live and wearing that would make you look like a total douche. I wear jeans on the weekends but see myself going for sneakers, suede chukkas or suede loafers most of the time. Plodding around in shell boots/longwings is too formal a setting to go to the grocers or to go watch a movie.

Shells do seem a bit much for the local trip to the supermarket or movie night.

They definitely are a niche leather. I own, I think 6 pairs, but do not wear them as much as I should. As already mentioned by others, I find myself reaching for lighter more comfortable footwear. After a long day, definitely feels like you are walking with shiny tanks on your feet.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well in shell’s defense Northeast US is pretty dry in the summer and definitely longer colder days, so probably made a lot more sense...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ps I still don’t want shell other than maybe Alden LWB #8 if Alden can make it in other than Barrie...

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I have to admit that I want to have a pair of shell chelsea for curiosity and bragging rights. Oh right, the rights belong to Antonio the maker, not me.

On the other hand, perhaps fortuitously, AM found the project “interesting” and worked on it over the weekend. There is non-negligible chance that the pair can be finished before 2021 - looks like challenging projects do get certain priority ???

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to agree with @clee1982 . After owning about 20 pairs of shells from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Carmina, Enzo, Vintage Bostonians, Vintage Florsheims, Rancourt, Meermin etc, I really see little advantage of shell over calf especially given the huge upcharge. IMHO, calf is way easier to care for, calf is also not as hot to wear in hotter cities such as Singapore. Furthermore, shell tends to have a **** ton of wax bloom making the shoe look informal and beat; the only way to combat this is to brush the shoes constantly and also at times use a deer bone to even out the heavily impregnated waxes.

I like many other guys on SF who caught the shell cordovan bug early on and ended up with dozens of pairs would at the end of the day say that shell is more suited for work wear (i.e. rough boots/service boots) and perhaps small leather goods like watch straps and card holders.

In sum, my take is that Shell on "fancy" shoes like oxfords and wholecuts is really not the ideal material choice. Probably the usual high grade calf offerings would be a better long term "investment" that you wouldn't get sick of. Unless, you are getting a fancy shell pair just for the purposes of art....right @shirtingfantasy ? ;)

Profound analysis. The American obsession with shell I don't get.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Profound analysis. The American obsession with shell I don't get.

Something we can genuinely call our own, especially considering the best Shell is made right here in the USA.

Again, it is a niche thing. We Americans love our big shiny pickup trucks. In the case of the Alden LWB, long Cadillac Fleetwood.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if I live in the burb I'll definitely get a pick up just to hull crap from homedepot and not give a f*...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads