• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

asewonder

Reaction score
I have a used pair of Tribune Chukkas in snuff suede, 6E UK if anyones interested. $150 shipped in the US.

ajay199127

Reaction score
Couldn’t wait, so had to try it on immediately. The Aurum chisel round last is bloody incredible combined with the stupendous execution by Antonio. The bimaterial came out better than I expected too.
B15BB031-15F8-48CE-93AF-D042739EE110.jpeg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Adhazem

Reaction score
🐷 oink oink. I’m not sure where the recent trend of makers and consumers chasing after peccary came from but AMs decision to stick to pigskin makes so much more sense.

It’s a unique hide. Definitely on the list. Once I can justify those $250 peccary gloves you turned onto (plus $60 shipping 🤑)

MD1969

Reaction score
A new slogan perhaps.

Peccary: Great for gloves, awful for shoes.
Why is peccary bad for shoes? I’m staying away from them due water spots forming (live in Midwest USA), although I think they are beautiful-looking shoes.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is peccary bad for shoes? I’m staying away from them due water spots forming (live in Midwest USA), although I think they are beautiful-looking shoes.

The best peccary leather is used for gloves. It is soft and extremely durable, but it would/could develop water spots (as you mentioned). It being so soft isn't as durable for the kind of heavy duty exploits you use shoes for. Gloves no problem.

Additionally, the leather being so soft exhibits a stretched out appearance. No surprise then, when you see it used it is paired with a loafer style shoe.

Now there are lower grades which are thicker and tougher, but they don't look nearly as good. I suppose a maker can tan then retan the leather to make it a better performing product, but the tanning process would not negate it being lower grade.

Lastly, high quality peccary is difficult as heck to source.

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Real peccary doesn’t look good for dress shoes. Some examples:

AF47A849-50AB-488B-A1AF-29941F38599B.png CDCC5872-E3C5-408A-B900-E7F70C04FEC2.png

wishoeguy’s pair from Caio Torres May already be better - yet the looseness / fluffiness of the leather still stands out.

Perhaps that’s why I tend to stay away from these “linear three” pore patterns (linear three - peccary; triangular three - domesticated pig / wild boar)

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
In contrast, pig (remember: triangular three pore pattern) is good 🐷

I think the confusion between small pig (wild or not, big or small - different lineages under Sus scrofa) vs peccary (also called javelina, with scientific names Pecari tajacu, Tayassu pecari) has something to do with etymology:

“The word "peccary" is derived from the Caribword pakira or paquira.[6]

In Portuguese, a peccary is called pecari, porco-do-mato, queixada, tajaçu, among other names like Cateto or Caititú. In Spanish, it is called javelina, jabalí (a word also used to describe wild boar), sajino, or pecarí. The word "javelina" derives from the Spanish word for "wild boar".[7]In French Guiana and Suriname, the animal is called pakira.”

As such, naming convention from some leather products added to the confusion. Here, the triangle three pattern printed on calfskin (pecari) clearly means wild boar!

A1812D57-4867-445E-8FAE-D553E91A2450.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics