• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

ronde90

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the thread. Have been reading through and wanted to ask for help on sizing. Was looking to get a pair of AM's new Proteo boots in the Chisel last but have been having trouble figuring out sizing since this will be my first pair from AM. I have a pair of Carmina Oscar boots in a 9 UK which fit great. I read through the size guide on AM's site, took measurements and it says I'm a 9 UK. I know the Oscar last is pretty similar to Rain last and from what I've read, the recommendation is to size up .5 so was thinking of getting the 9.5 UK. Wanted to see if anyone had experience with the OScar and Chisel lasts and could make a recommendation.

yshin10

Reaction score
Hey guys, do you know if this Chelsea was available in the past in the Argentum line? It's freaking beautiful and looking to venture into the AM world of shoes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 12.01.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 12.01.15 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 124

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, do you know if this Chelsea was available in the past in the Argentum line? It's freaking beautiful and looking to venture into the AM world of shoes.
Not that I recall as RTW but it's available as MTO and there's a special project of it in pigskin at the moment.

yshin10

Reaction score
Not that I recall as RTW but it's available as MTO and there's a special project of it in pigskin at the moment.
Ahh I see. Do you know what kind of patina or leather (from just by looking at it) it would be? Haven't seen that kind of patina as an option while looking at the argentum RTW.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely don't remember seeing that chelsea ever being RTW

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ahh I see. Do you know what kind of patina or leather (from just by looking at it) it would be? Haven't seen that kind of patina as an option while looking at the argentum RTW.

just IG him, AM respond to that quicker than his email if he just happen to be looking at it

yshin10

Reaction score

JMR928 I don't know if I saw you posting this I know you compared yeossal to YF. What's your thoughts on yeossal vs argentum line? I know in the beginning of this thread someone poo pooed yeossal. But wanted to hear your thoughts.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JMR928 I don't know if I saw you posting this I know you compared yeossal to YF. What's your thoughts on yeossal vs argentum line? I know in the beginning of this thread someone poo pooed yeossal. But wanted to hear your thoughts.
Kind of a cop out here but I would say they're very different.

First - With regard to how they wear and feel on foot without factoring in fit because everything gets so personal on fit -The Meccariello's feel like a much more substantial shoe. If I had to describe it they have a sort of dense feel to them - the feeling of being overbuilt, thicker soles, heavier. I'd say the totally arbitrary ranking based entirely off my sense is something like Meccariello, then Vass, EG and G&G, then CJ and then Yeossal, Carmina, TLB Artista etc. I suppose I could weigh them but that sounds like a lot of work at the moment.

For the practical differences - the Meccariello's are just done better. Stitching is neater, broguing is neater, sole stitch is neater. I suppose if we are going on looks the Yeossal's have a tighter waist and smaller heel - Whether you value that as a positive or benefit is up to you. That being said, the Yeossals aren't bad shoes - the AMs are just really that good.

I always have the outlook that there is a matrix that exists where something has to give along the line. For Antonio it's speed on MTOs - That's just the reality that you're going to wait. It is what it is but you aren't sacrificing options or execution. For Yeossal, you've got speed and options but *might* sacrifice some execution. That isn't to say they're going to send you a flawed shoe that is going to fail - The stitching might just not be as perfect or something.

Now for the personal opinion thing. I personally prefer Antonio's leather selection and his lasts fit me better. All things being equal if you're not in a rush, if you like what Antonio has to offer and you like the way he finishes his shoes I'd go there. If you're in a rush and looking to find something that looks like another maker - I'd go to Yeossal.

yshin10

Reaction score
Kind of a cop out here but I would say they're very different.

First - With regard to how they wear and feel on foot without factoring in fit because everything gets so personal on fit -The Meccariello's feel like a much more substantial shoe. If I had to describe it they have a sort of dense feel to them - the feeling of being overbuilt, thicker soles, heavier. I'd say the totally arbitrary ranking based entirely off my sense is something like Meccariello, then Vass, EG and G&G, then CJ and then Yeossal, Carmina, TLB Artista etc. I suppose I could weigh them but that sounds like a lot of work at the moment.

For the practical differences - the Meccariello's are just done better. Stitching is neater, broguing is neater, sole stitch is neater. I suppose if we are going on looks the Yeossal's have a tighter waist and smaller heel - Whether you value that as a positive or benefit is up to you. That being said, the Yeossals aren't bad shoes - the AMs are just really that good.

I always have the outlook that there is a matrix that exists where something has to give along the line. For Antonio it's speed on MTOs - That's just the reality that you're going to wait. It is what it is but you aren't sacrificing options or execution. For Yeossal, you've got speed and options but *might* sacrifice some execution. That isn't to say they're going to send you a flawed shoe that is going to fail - The stitching might just not be as perfect or something.

Now for the personal opinion thing. I personally prefer Antonio's leather selection and his lasts fit me better. All things being equal if you're not in a rush, if you like what Antonio has to offer and you like the way he finishes his shoes I'd go there. If you're in a rush and looking to find something that looks like another maker - I'd go to Yeossal.

Wow thank you for that reply. I truly appreciate that. I saw that he had a legate in stock so might not have to wait until it comes!!

I was super stoked with my yeossal. My first handwelted shoes (the other being AoL, which I thought were handwelted HAH!) but noticing that meccariello is probably the pinnacle of shoes in the sartorial world. Would you say that AM is one of the best shoes you can buy? regardless or price tag?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow thank you for that reply. I truly appreciate that. I saw that he had a legate in stock so might not have to wait until it comes!!

I was super stoked with my yeossal. My first handwelted shoes (the other being AoL, which I thought were handwelted HAH!) but noticing that meccariello is probably the pinnacle of shoes in the sartorial world. Would you say that AM is one of the best shoes you can buy? regardless or price tag?
There are others with much more experience than me who could chime in on that front as far as discussion about being one of the best but I’d say they’re very good and I’m happy with mine. If you like his lasts and patterns you can’t go wrong. There’s definitely stiff competition though in that top tier - especially if we are ignoring price as a factor.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At AM px tier for RTW it’s hard to find a better proposition than him, Yeossal/OT is just a different type of aesthetic too, so buy what works for you I suppose (and Yeossal/OT MTO charge is cheap you can pretty do anything, you can do anything with AM too but you will have to pay up)

Just think in general it’s hard to say something like “the best”, that’s a tall order, not going to compare his Argentum to bespoke for example.

Edit: oh also echo same comment about AM being substantial, someone said dressy tank once I think that’s a good way to describe it

Last edited:

yshin10

Reaction score
At AM px tier for RTW it’s hard to find a better proposition than him, Yeossal/OT is just a different type of aesthetic too, so buy what works for you I suppose (and Yeossal/OT MTO charge is cheap you can pretty do anything, you can do anything with AM too but you will have to pay up)

Just think in general it’s hard to say something like “the best”, that’s a tall order, not going to compare his Argentum to bespoke for example.

I think "the best" is subjective but I think we're all searching for our "grail" shoes. I've never spent more than $400+ on a pair of shoes. If I'm going to be spending $700-1500 on a pair of shoe. I for sure want it to be the best that money can buy. And I think at this price range for RTW, the finishing makes a big difference. I could purchase a PS or AM or EB or JL. But I want the highest construction (handwelting) and the best design as well as the best finishing. So I think I'm landing more and more on AM's Argentum line. Anyone have a photo of the Legate in the wild?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to be spending $700-1500 on a pair of shoe. I for sure want it to be the best that money can buy.
Based on this I’d start with is there a last that fits my feet, is there a maker whose lasts I like, do they have a pattern I like. After that it’s pick your poison. AM is certainly a good route to go for that if it checks those boxes for your feet and eye.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
personally would cross EB off that list for an oxford, though what's your budget really $700 to $1500 is quite a range...

yshin10

Reaction score
personally would cross EB off that list for an oxford, though what's your budget really $700 to $1500 is quite a range...
I realize that's a huge range. But AM's shoes go for like 530 euros to 1250 euros for the RTW line so that's what I was basing my comment off of. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads