1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Stone

Stone Senior Member

Yeah, it was really impressive in person. It must have been 4mm thick (Antonio said he was going to need to thin the leather out), but surprisingly soft, almost spongy.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

2. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Distinguished Member

Basically you pay a bank fee (25 in the case above), but also they build in another fee by giving you a rate far worse than the market rate. So the $670 is higher than 402 GBP should have been in USD because of this.
    If you use a credit card for a wire you pay an additional fee because it is classed as a "cash advance" rather than a standard purchase I believe.

That is why Iiked Trasnfer Wise in the first place. They give you a rate close to the mid market and they are pretty open about the fees after you use your first free transfer.

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Distinguished Member

That bison hide is the gnarliest I've seen, just right for a nice pair of roaming boots, chukkas would show off the texture best. If it moves and has a hide, Antonio can likely turn it into shuus.

By the by, where did A.M. apprentice back in the days? I've sent him two interview requests but have never heard back.

4. Stone

Stone Senior Member

Haha, yes. Final tweak is that I asked for them as single monk strap chukkas - a new Aurum design. Can't wait to get them.

5. MSchapiro

I don't own any GG, but I handled them extensively when I lived in London.

The finishing on the welts and sole tend to be amazing. Better than on my standard line, although not by much. Part of that is also the style. Antonio's default style has more heft and more handmade character.
    My standard line, however, feel far more robust and comfortable than the GG I tried on, although they were by no means uncomfortable.

I did something similar to what you are suggesting. I ordered a standard line when Antonio was first mentioned on style forum. I'd place that shoe in between Carmina and GG, closer to the GG side. It looks very good and the fit was 90% there, although the sole details were not as refined as Antonio has more recently begun to churn out. Picture below.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My second pair was a standard but used an Aurum soft square last when Antonio was prototyping them. The fit and finish on that shoe are second to none, including the waist detailing. The styling is still more aggressive and chunkier than what you would find in British shoes, but that is really by choice more than a requirement. Antonio can do both.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third pair are the best fitting shoes I've ever owned. Antonio used a modified standard line last based on feedback from the first two shoes. Like a glove for your feet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have an Aurum coming based on the same last. Very excited to see how it turns out. All in all shoes aren't available with this level of quality or MTO comfort even close to this price point leading Meccariellos to represent the entire top end of my shoe collection.

I know that was a very length post, excuse me for that.

6. europrep

europrep Distinguished Member

I have always liked those monks of yours @MSchapiro

How long ago did you receive them? Curious if Antonio continues to make slight changes to his offerings. Here is a picture of the sole of the test shoe I just received and it feels more G&G:
    Edit: my final shoe is a standard line order

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

7. mw313

mw313 Distinguished Member

Thanks for all of the info! I appreciate it and see what you mean about the differences from GG. They both are great but in different ways! They definitely are something that I would love to try in the future, but it is good to know the differences between the two different lines.

Please post pictures when you aurum pair comes in!

8. mcl911

mcl911 Senior Member

His shoes is really amazing [​IMG] in both quality and style, can't find any shoes that has better value than his.
    May be I should sell my Mercedes then I can order his shoes and walk with pride.Jk just need to wait for next paycheck[​IMG]

9. MSchapiro

Thank you! I had based them off a pair of Carminas I really liked.

The lastest pair was a over eight months ago.

Antonio has been constantly working on his detailing and it seems including a lot of the improved detailing in all the areas.

I would say the sole finishing on his shoes is now more customizable than G&G and IMO better looking. The house style, which Antonio can and will alter on request, still has a much thicker welt than G&G's very thin edges. If you're curious you can look at my first pair and see the old sole finishing.

10. diadem

diadem Distinguished Member

Okay, whose are these? Gorgeous!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From his tumblr.

11. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

Yeah those are amazing! They are a Swedish fella's, not sure if he hangs out here on SF.

12. member2000r

member2000r Senior Member

I suspect @Leaves or @GabrielOB [​IMG]

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

So no one has seem him do a split toe?

Also, for the trial shoe, do the trial shoe and the finished shoe have to be the same last?

14. diadem

diadem Distinguished Member

Not me. Can't seem to find any on his tumblr, either.
    Yes. I really should have a snarky response prepared for this question by now, but I don't [​IMG].

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

15. Stone

Stone Senior Member

I talked with him about a split toe. He recommended against it, saying that it was too country for aurum. Makes sense.