1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. diadem

diadem Distinguished Member

For me, those test shoes I posted are going to be for a pebble-grain cap-toe adelaide Aurum model, so Antonio did smooth calf and just a regular oxford for my test shoes.

Getting a completely different looking pair of test shoes is what everyone intends to do at first, but Antonio will only allow minor differences. Like, you can get a different color and some minor cosmetic differences (no broguing vs. broguing is one example), but the style of the shoes have to be the same. If you're ordering a wholecut, the test shoes have to be a wholecut too in order to be a good judge of fit. He wouldn't let me get anything but cap-toe oxfords as my test shoes, which is understandable.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

2. Stone

Stone Senior Member

Do you have to buy Aurum shoes in order to purchase test shoes?

If not, then you could get the equivalent of five or six pairs of entry level Santoni shoes for the price of one pair of Aurum shoes.

What a deal!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

No - have a look back at my post a page or two back.

I e-mailed Antonio to ask about such things, and he responded to say that for an additional 300 Euro, you can get test shoes for either the regular line or the Aurum line.

4. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior Member

I think he just wants to purchase test shoes and that's it.

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

Ah, I see.

Then, no, that's not possible. You've got to commit to purchasing a pair of MTO shoes with the test shoes!

6. loveartioli

loveartioli Active Member

Haha,I think Antonio is so busy that he had no free time to check my shoes were made during his kiton time or not.Nevertheless,I still like my pair of kiton shoes very much,in future,I will buy antonio's beautiful shoes

7. Stone

Stone Senior Member

Was being sarcastic - thought it was funny that some people were so interested in the value of the test shoes as a separate wearable pair, rather than as an aid to the fit of the Aurum shoes (you know, a "test" shoe).

That said, I met with Antonio today, and ended up going for a pair of Aurum crust elephant chukkas - with the test chukkas in dark brown bison. I'm paying a (reasonable) up charge for both leathers.

The level of finish on the "test shoes" is pretty incredible and beyond what I imagined. So, in a way, it now seems to me like the aurum test shoes are more similar to the first couple of shirts you get from a bespoke shirtmaker (in my experience never perfect at first, but still completely wearable), than something primarily useful as a way to perfect your Aurum pair's eventual fit.

So, woooo, two pairs of shoes!

(Btw - Antonio is an amazingly warm guy, super committed to getting the details right, and infectiously enthusiastic about his work. Very psyched to be getting shoes from him.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

8. mcl911

mcl911 Senior Member

Test shoes is beyond it's value, that's why.

wondering how long is the waiting time for test and final product now? Some say it will be an extra month in the future

9. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Distinguished Member

Seems to be 1-4 months at the moment. In the past I have never waited more than two.

Test shoes are relatively quick. I was quoted 3 months production for an Aurum. That alone is king of incredible considering how busy Antonio is and recent life events.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

10. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I've never really taken notice of the times involved with test shoes/ final shoes as I've not been in a hurry, and there's no point in rushing an artisan like Antonio. He's great to work with; he takes pride in correcting/ fixing what he perceives as mistakes even if you don't notice them.

11. mcl911

mcl911 Senior Member

Any import tax experience?
    Don't wanna bother Antonio until I get some spare money, hopefully by the end of April.

Thanks again for all your information!

12. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Distinguished Member

Nope. Been clear every time.

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Does Antonio make them himself, or does he have a team? Because unless he only sells to SF guys, he is probably overloaded

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

14. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I know he made my shoes himself ;)

15. C&A

C&A Senior Member

there is a team, who are mainly invlolved with the rtw work. antonio is involved in making every mto shoe both standard or aurum. he is the only one that does designs and mto last making. the stitching is done by a few ladies amongst which is antonio;s wife.