1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Thank you for all the compliments. Really appreciate them.

To answer this the experience was great. I PMed him on here and then we communicated by e-mail. No hassle or any other trouble. Sent payment through paypal. He kept me informed every step of the way and accommodated all my requests for pictures. I described very basically what I wanted (using pictures of G&G shoes) and he'd reply with comments about construction and various options. He also provided samples of his work which could qualify as a look book. All over great experience. If I find the fit to be exceedingly comfortable I may purchase shoes exclusively from him.

In the end I paid about $800 because of the shipping from Italy. A little more then I wanted but far less then I would have paid to anyone else.

2. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

Thank you sir!
    Enjoy those beauties in good health :) Upload some pictures when they arrive as well, that would be great!

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Nice. How's the shipping/custom process if any?

4. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

I just ordered a pair yesterday, work is starting Monday. I asked for pictures during construction so I will update this thread when I have them :) Went antique green.

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Croc is considerably less expensive than gator, btw.

6. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

DHL so the process is very easy. Looks like it will take a little under a week to ship to Boston (not bad considering it is near holiday). No customs duty so far. I believe that it may have been included in the shipping cost the Antonio quoted me, although not 100% sure.

7. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

Just as a note, Antonio is no longer accepting Paypal as a payment method so I just wired the money straight from my bank account.

8. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

That sucks, more money from buyer's side.

9. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Cheap croc is cheaper than good gator. There is a somewhat fair supply of very good belly cut gator in America which is expansive but not brutally expensive. Salt water croc is the finest and most expensive of all. It has the smallest and most regular tiles. This is the stuff you will see on Hermes' top items (purses handbags etc.). It is extremely difficult to obtain. I was told that most of the australian farms are either owned by the big fashion house (LVMH , hermes) or have exclusive contracts to furnish them. I had located 2 small very beautiful belly skins perfect for a wholecut but the price was astronomical. I could have gotten several high grade gator skins for the price.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

why the change?

11. meister

meister Senior member

Interesting as an Aussie because I had intended to buy some croc to have made up.

12. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

Most likely because some smart ass canceled the transaction after receiving the shoes, i.e. claimed them as not received after 45 days I believe and paypal automatically withdraws the money from the seller's account if they cannot provide proof of the shipment. Same reason for some international vendors not accepting credit cards.

13. meister

meister Senior member

I personally don't like that bank transfer caper. Not much comeback.

14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

doesnt he ship with tracking?

anyway, not worth doing bank transfer for shoes.

15. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

If he shipped DHL thern there was a record and tracking; perhaps paypal charged too much? VASS too, they only take cash or bank transfer, no paypal or credit card.
    Paypal is an american thing, most continental european vendors don't bother using it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Bear in mind he is speaking of Salt Water Croc (Porosus) which indeed very expensive. Fresh water croc is typically less premium priced than American Alligator..

Pricing, of course, depends on quality so it really comes down to a hide by hide comparison more than generalities by species.

Do avoid Caiman. It does not hold up well on shoes (bending).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  17. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

From my experience he shipped DHL with tracking. More likely the fees. Paypal also caps you at 10k until you attach a bank account.

18. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

caiman is awful stuff. can't imagine anyone using it for anything worthwhile.

19. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

X-Post:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some boots I will take more photos of tomorrow:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  20. Gdot