• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can show a pics of your shell cordovan shoes with roll? I don't own any and quite curious how they look like.
sold all four of them..., though roll was not the issue just a pain to take care of after bad weather

styc

Reaction score
This is a color 8 Carmina Wholecut that sold on eBay for $300 a few weeks back. This is the reason why Shell cordovan does not suit the Wholecut model.

Attachments

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
@styc I am not a shell advocate (and I am just getting chelsea for fun), but I want to argue that fit (and leather properties for calf) may be more important.

Below is my pair of Bontoni wholecut, bought at full retail (so is not second or whatever), and always using the lasted shoe trees provided:

74D30CAD-8CD4-456F-9C1B-F877748BF791.jpeg

I guess this would not (mis-)lead anyone to argue that calf leather is unsuitable for wholecuts in general?

And AMs, in contrast...

9CB44FEE-6CF8-4D56-9DA3-88F179FDE4CC.jpeg
2C081268-4996-48F4-89AF-31980780E253.jpeg

styc

Reaction score
I like shells just not on the Wholecut Oxford model. I recall a few years ago my “holy grail” shoe was a shell seamless Wholecut but over time realized that it was not a good idea. Perhaps she’ll for a Chelsea would work better because it is a boot. The good thing about a boot is that it looks great polished and shiny but equally looks superb scruffy and beat up. Gongdrew on IG just posted his Yanko Shell Cordovan boots as attached. A good point of reference but note that his shell cordovan is sourced from Rocado (I.e Italian)

Attachments

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I like shells just not on the Wholecut Oxford model. I recall a few years ago my “holy grail” shoe was a shell seamless Wholecut but over time realized that it was not a good idea. Perhaps she’ll for a Chelsea would work better because it is a boot. The good thing about a boot is that it looks great polished and shiny but equally looks superb scruffy and beat up. Gongdrew on IG just posted his Yanko Shell Cordovan boots as attached. A good point of reference but note that his shell cordovan is sourced from Rocado (I.e Italian)
My friend’s Carmina (before they stopped taking wholecut cordovan chelsea orders) - the exact inspiration for my project with AM:

D8AEA9A1-F809-4A3B-B2FF-59CB393F181C.jpeg

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Wow he really didn’t take care of these. On purpose I assume?
Indeed, for the very rustic look. I think he uses a metal spoon once a very long.

how about Kangaroo? These are my 11 year old RM Williams seamless boots. My only chelseas
I have their yearling leather wholecut and they are my best friends in the rain. They have fewer wear then they should because I tend to choose sharper lasts when I have two pairs in front of me (and I own a pair of CJ calf, which always compete with this pair for wear).

For kangaroo, there was no ready stock available when I got my pair in Australia. I did find the softness and the texture very intriguing - some may hate the wrinkling, though.

For cordovan, the best way to make it shine is perhaps not to keep it shiny? 🤣

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a color 8 Carmina Wholecut that sold on eBay for $300 a few weeks back. This is the reason why Shell cordovan does not suit the Wholecut model.
now to be fair you can make those color “even” just be ready to use a ton of cream and going at it for like 30 minutes +, then hope it doesn’t rain any time otherwise repeat the process...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now on the alternative for bad weather I would vote for

1. suede with nano spray protector
2. some kind hatch grain

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Reaction score
Now on the alternative for bad weather I would vote for

1. suede with nano spray protector
2. some kind hatch grain
Definitely agree with @clee1982 concerning bad weather leather. Suede with a protector, or a grain type leather are amazing, especially in cities with inclement weather. Alpine, and Inca from my experience are excellent resilient leathers, not to mention easy care. In fact, all of these are low maintenance, and look fantastic on pretty much any AM last.

styc

Reaction score
now to be fair you can make those color “even” just be ready to use a ton of cream and going at it for like 30 minutes +, then hope it doesn’t rain any time otherwise repeat the process...
case in point... I had polished up these Carmina Rubi shell cordovan captoes on a Sunday. Moisturized then with Venetian creme and brushed them like a bitch. Then added on some Alden cordovan creme and brushed like a bitch some more. The shoes looked amazing! They were ultra shiny! Come Monday morning, I wear these out the door, literally to my car and into my office and look at that white layer of wax bloom already!!! 🤬

Attachments

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.