• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

RishaStyle

Reaction score
I often walk on slick marble floors and noticed that my AMs still result in slippage even though the soles on my heels and front shoes are definitely worn in after several wears (even used scissors to scratch them up at first). Any idea on why the shoes are still slippery? I’m wondering if it’s because the fiddleback waist is making contact with the floor?
Do they metal toe tips? If yes, that is most likely the reason for slippage.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Funny enough I have a pair with toe tips and one without hut they both slip.
Scratching with a blade won’t suffice. The best way is to wear the shoes and walk on some rough pavement. This wears off the smooth layer on the sole leather evenly and makes it less slippery.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Is Antonio’s burnishing just a temporary thing that will fade away with enough polishes or is it permanent?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
If you even need to clean old wax and polish, you can use neutral cream (contains turpentine) or pure turpentine (inexpensive and effective). They are safer to both the leather and the dye.

Renomat can remove dye and leather finishing, and should be avoided.

unprocessed

Reaction score
If you even need to clean old wax and polish, you can use neutral cream (contains turpentine) or pure turpentine (inexpensive and effective). They are safer to both the leather and the dye.

Renomat can remove dye and leather finishing, and should be avoided.
I’ve had success using Renovateur to remove old wax, just takes several applications and buffing.

spencert

Reaction score
Ahem... would advise against using Renovateur. Not the liquid gold that it is made out to be. Has taken color off my shoes before.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Ahem... would advise against using Renovateur. Not the liquid gold that it is made out to be. Has taken color off my shoes before.
Haven’t really noticed that before, although regular use it really is mostly absorbed by the leather?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Haven’t really noticed that before, although regular use it really is mostly absorbed by the leather?
Renovateur (the “contains mink oil” one) is claimed to be very gentle, but many have reported colour loss with use. It has some aqueous content that tends to interfere with some dyes. if you use a cloth to apply it you can sometimes see colour being slowly rubbed off. There are stories of Saint Crispins crust leather shoes being decolourized by this liquid gold.

Personally these mishaps have not happened to me, but I have also stopped using regular use of Renovateur on crust after the colourist at Berluti explained that it can create problems with future cleaning and colouring. They say mink oil “clog the pores” and “subsequent colour would be uneven”.

Renomat (the smelly solvent) as mentioned is very dangerous. Just stay away.

Zaos1

Reaction score
Really, also Renovateur not good?? And i always thought my shoes are well nourished by using it prior to polish! :eh:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Really, also Renovateur not good?? And i always thought my shoes are well nourished by using it prior to polish! :eh:
I still use it for my aniline boxcalf shoes, for the record.

@dieworkwear wrote -

“For the customer, there are upsides and downsides. The upside is that crust can age beautifully, getting a sort of depth in the color not easily achievable in normal leather (see my wingtips above). The downside is the leather also requires a bit more upkeep. Shoes can easily look dull after a few wears, and you’ll want to be careful with which sorts of conditioners you use (a bit of Saphir Renovateur once wrecked my crust leather chukkas, although Saint Crispin’s was able to fix them for me). To get that beautiful luster you see in Ethan Newton’s photos, you need to shine them somewhat regularly. Again, maybe not for your average, everyday shoe customer, but possibly a good choice for the enthusiast.” - https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/dieworkwear.com/post/163730058154/the-bridge-to-bespoke-shoes/amp

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40