• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

unprocessed

Reaction score
Better to get a tad bigger and put a heel grip (if required) at the back than to get a tad too small and suffer. Nothing worse than walking with bound feet like olden day Chinese women. Especially for AM where his leathers are much thicker than your other typical shoemakers. Even with a perfect fit, the break in period is already pretty brutal.

I’m really struggling on the go down another half size or stay with my current size for the chisel 2 decision. I’ve found from my first two wears that the soft square starts quite loose in the morning but but by the end of the day, the inner vamp (or whatever you call the most curved part of the inner side of the shoe) really hugs my foot to the point of the slightest of soreness. Despite that, the shoes still seem a little too big (a good amount of extra volume inside), but the heel slippage and my feel sliding up and down slightly is getting better the longer I wear them.
Basically I’m concerned staying the same size moving from soft square to chisel 2 will result in a pair with heel slip and way too much room and instep, resulting in a bad fit and creasing. But my concern with going down half a size is if it could make the inner vamp too tight and the shoe itself will look too short.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An instep pad or new insole could solve the problem with heal and foot slippage.

unprocessed

Reaction score
An instep pad or new insole could solve the problem with heal and foot slippage.
This might be a silly question but is an instep pad the same thing as a tongue pad?
How would an new insole work? Would AM be able to ship them to me and I just put them over the existing insole pad?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly question but is an instep pad the same thing as a tongue pad?
How would an new insole work? Would AM be able to ship them to me and I just put them over the existing insole pad?

Yes, same as tonge pad. An insole will fill in more of the shoe volume, making the fit tighter.

You could probably buy a couple of different insoles and see if any of them work. Certainly cheaper than selling at a loss or never wearing then. Not sure if AM offers additional insoles.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I know Thundermarch doesn’t contribute much to forums these days but I know many of you (like myself) value his advice especially when it comes to AM. Go to page 185 of this thread to see his advice on soft square vs chisel 2 sizing which is similar to my take on those two lasts. Take the same size for both but soft square seems narrower at the front

Zaos1

Reaction score
I’m really struggling on the go down another half size or stay with my current size for the chisel 2 decision. I’ve found from my first two wears that the soft square starts quite loose in the morning but but by the end of the day, the inner vamp (or whatever you call the most curved part of the inner side of the shoe) really hugs my foot to the point of the slightest of soreness. Despite that, the shoes still seem a little too big (a good amount of extra volume inside), but the heel slippage and my feel sliding up and down slightly is getting better the longer I wear them.
Basically I’m concerned staying the same size moving from soft square to chisel 2 will result in a pair with heel slip and way too much room and instep, resulting in a bad fit and creasing. But my concern with going down half a size is if it could make the inner vamp too tight and the shoe itself will look too short.
I have been following this group for a while, and what i learned is if you want to purchase AM shoes you should up size half size of your normal wear... my size for Crockett and jones is 6.5 UK so in base of this sugestions i am going to pick the Equites in 7 UK as soon as they bécame in Restock!! ?

unprocessed

Reaction score
I have been following this group for a while, and what i learned is if you want to purchase AM shoes you should up size half size of your normal wear... my size for Crockett and jones is 6.5 UK so in base of this sugestions i am going to pick the Equites in 7 UK as soon as they bécame in Restock!! ?
Are you getting the Argentum Equites? They are stunning shoes, beautiful dark brown with a very cool mist effect. Just got them last week and the quality to cost ratio for AM is just insane.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I think I’m going to go down another half size for my Chisel 2 from my soft square, which I wore for a few more hours today (now my third time) and are definitely still loose. Now I might add a tongue pad to help with the extra volume. Hoping the chisel 2 in. .5 size down will be about the same length as my soft square.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everyone’s feet is definitely different is all I can say

I took 9E in Chisel 2 (order 9F on the first one to be on the safe side end up putting tounge pad) and 9F in soft square, maybe there is a bit room to go down but I highly doubt it would work, never tried 9.5E in soft square to compare though.

spencert

Reaction score
I think I’m going to go down another half size for my Chisel 2 from my soft square, which I wore for a few more hours today (now my third time) and are definitely still loose. Now I might add a tongue pad to help with the extra volume. Hoping the chisel 2 in. .5 size down will be about the same length as my soft square.
I think it may work out. One thing for sure, same size will definitely not work. All shoes after some wear, the soles will sink down, creating even more room inside. Think you already experiencing this with your soft square. You will find that it will be even roomier after 10 wears or so.

No venture no gain. Don't install toe taps or vibram. Angela will take returns but you will have to pay for shipping. I had returned a UK10 chisel for a UK10 soft square before. The difference in size is really a lot to me. The former could not be worn without insoles at all.

As mentioned earlier, ask her for insoles for your soft square. The ones have some foam material below. If you buy it off the shelves, fitting may not be good but may be ok for temporary use.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
Guys I have a confession to make...I just got myself another pair of AMs. Totally don’t need another pair but wth... u only live once.
Found a great bargain from a seller in Singapore in my size (UK 9) for a pair of gently used Centurions from the 4Q2018 Yeossal GMTO- Argentum Dux soft square in Caffe Tostato for SGD $500 (c. Usd 370) with lasted shoe trees, box and bags. ?

Attachments

• 279CE232-124B-4174-9D9E-693CC5EF3039.jpeg
    279CE232-124B-4174-9D9E-693CC5EF3039.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 114

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
From what I saw on eBay and Carousell, there is only a very limited supply of second hand AM shoes. It could be because no one really want to let go of an existing pair ?

As his brand grows, I anticipate more shoes may go into the second hand market, especially when his current clients move into MTM and Aurum - and I believe Meccariello shoes, given the excellent construction and leather quality, are well entitled to a second life in the hands (on the feet) of the next fortunate owner.

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
I'll say the best part about a good 2nd hand market is it help playing the sizing game :p

yeah the seller felt this pair was half a size too small and that was the reason he only wore it a handful of times. He is definately telling the truth as the sole is almost untouched with hardly any wear. He mentioned wanting to get the EG Dover as his next split toe. There is a certain charm about the proportions of the Dover and I really do like their suede offerings, especially the Clove Suede pair. Sublime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads