1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11 : Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Looking at Instagram, I think it’s their own web shop just hasn’t launch fully yet

2. clee1982

3. clee1982

By the way i’m not those shoe nuts, so I can’t tell you what’s 12spi in relation to say Vass/EB/StC... (all the RTW HW I can think on top of my head)

4. greenhouse

greenhouse Senior Member

I may or may not have just had an accident.

5. greenhouse

greenhouse Senior Member

I believe 12 SPI is considered good by today's standards for bespoke, but nothing unheard of. I believe many Japanese makers do 14-18 SPI.

6. clee1982

I wonder what does AM do for his bespoke stuff then

7. clee1982

Googled some of SF post seems like Vass does 5 to 6, and 12 is indeed the standard English bespoke finish (all information back in 2008 so consider things might have changed...)

8. greenhouse

greenhouse Senior Member

I believe Aurum is equivalent to his bespoke, quality wise. SPI is only a small part of the story, though; and you would in fact want lower SPI for a more casual shoe. I think that once you reach a certain SPI (maybe 14 or 16? I'm 100% guessing here), labor is better spent elsewhere on the shoe.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018

9. clee1982

Yea I guess it become let me show you what I can do at certain point...

10. ecwy

ecwy Senior Member

I think the norm is around 10-12 spi. 14 and above is usually on request except for some select makers.

Too fine a spi also changes the look of the shoe and also makes repair work more time consuming. Personally I prefer the look around 10-12 spi, maybe up to 14.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I’m fairly sure EB and StC use a machine to stitch the outsoles to the welt.

12. Encore

Encore Senior Member

A quick note: for those who are waiting for Antonio's response. He's back to work now, I received his response shortly after I followed up.

Also question:
    Have anyone bought his casual line loafers? Interested in choosing one of Campus/ Simposio/ Praetor. Looking for some feedback:)

13. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Distinguished Member

It has been nearly a year for a new pair of dress shoes, but I couldn't pass on this hand welted pair at Yeossal.

fullsizeoutput_173f.jpeg

14. Cuebert

Cuebert Senior Member

Dear Gentleman,

Does anyone of you own the Calcei Willow Grain Suede Sneakers? If so: how is the quality, and do you have pictures of the in the wild?

I cant quite make up my mind wether I like the grain texture and the colour combinations or not.

15. Encore

Encore Senior Member

Just place the order and he will ship it to me next week, if no one posts photo until yet, i will.