1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Of courses,
    Yea but you buy what you think is “nice” at the time and be done with it, your mind set change later so be it. No one can buy the ultimate wardrobe even just staples, taste, preference all changes.

2. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Do share, I didn’t really have to deal with him as I went through retailer or GMTO where @ThunderMarch has been ultra helpful. Would like to know in case I went with more personal route going forward

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You're right...and that very fact makes my point.

Have you ever wondered why...if we're talking about ephemera...some styles last forever? Are so classic that they never really go out of style? Why John Lobb has been in business making the same styles of shoes with the same means of production and the same quality for what is it? 150+ years? Why they didn't take the easy way out and go to GY? Why John Lobb said "we have turn our backs against the machine"? Why they still enjoy the Royal Imprimatur?

Why I can buy a bespoke suit cut not so different from the suits being worn in 1918 and be accepted and even admired in 2018?

And some things last the life of a gnat?

Value added" is just a clever excuse to charge $1000.00 for a bottle of water or $25,000.00 for a pair of boots.

shrug2.gif

4. deez shoes

deez shoes Senior Member

Antonio Meccariello horror story

Last summer, I purchased some handwelted loafers from their site. I used their measuring guide as reference and thought that the size I ordered would fit. Unfortunately they didn't. I followed up with Angela and praised the quality of the shoes but told her that the shoes didn't fit. She was nice enough to offer to modify the strap for me if I sent her the loafers and my feet measurements (I believe it was for a fee but can't remember). My new measurements were different from the previous. She actually asked that it may be better to make the shoes a little bigger overall which I thought would be amazing. At this point I thought she was going above and beyond and was forever grateful to her for the assistance. I sent her the shoes. It was July. Initially I asked her if this work could be done by Sept because I was going on a trip but then told her that they can take their time because of problems with customs and AM needs two weeks for the job. A while later Angela emails me saying that they didn't enlarge my but instead made me new ones from a small series that was in production in the shop with my modified instep. She actually told me not to mention this anywhere since it was a "gift" and not standard procedure for them. I couldn't believe it at the time. I felt like I owed them so much for their generosity and should support them 100 percent. But then, the loafers arrived. They were... different. They weren't even handwelted! They had none of the details or quality from the pair that I bought and sent back for "repair." I didn't even know how I was going to mention this to Angela without sounding like I was implying foul play. However, I needed to call her out somehow. The following week I sent her the nicest email I could think of, suggesting that possibly by chance the pair I received is not the same in quality nor construction from the ones I bought and sent her for repair. This was her reply:
    Yes you are right,

We did a new pair but considering we took a couple from a stock production for a shop

Yes the level around is little different,more standard.

I'm sorry I did not make you completely happy but I believe that
    if the shoes are ok then it's a good compromise.

Congratulations ,you have a fine taste.

Contact me if you need other assistance

Kind regards

Angela

5. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

Were the original loafers you purchased a stock item on the website or something custom?

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

You paid for handwelted shoes.... and received something else instead? GYW? Blake? It sounds unbelievable, if true.

To be clear. Was this Antonio’s Argentum Handwelted MTM service where you pay over wire transfer?

He has so many products and lines that it’s hard to keep them straight.

7. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Distinguished Member

@deez shoes
    I am sorry to hear that. This exchange seems most uncharacteristic of Antonio.
    I have no personal experience with Angela.
    Let me send Antonio a message later today to see if we can get to the bottom of this.
    I will keep you updated.

By the way, how did you determine the new loafers you received were not handwelted?