1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by goodlensboy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. meister

meister Senior member

I month moratorium on MECCARIELLO? :crackup:

Def Cat 4 with major loss of folding stuff.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. tre8

tre8 Active Member

Hi guys, I've recently received my mto and just have some niggling thoughts and so would just like to check with you on your opinions.

First off, the toe cap area has raised parallel lines showing on the leather just in front of the brouge stitching. Is this normal or acceptable?

Also, I've noticed that the heel stack area where it joins to the waist area of the shoe does not sit flush, but protrudes out. Is this a characteristic of meccariello shoes?

I'm asking about the above because my current shoes from G&G, Eg, stc, Carmina etc do not seem to have this protruding feature nor the raised lines on the toe cap area.

I've attached some pics for reference.
    Would appreciate any helpful feedback on this.

Cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I don't own any AM yet, but I've spent a year studying all his IG images. Lol. The heel join looks par for the course. Also some of my Vass shoes look like this...

4. tre8

tre8 Active Member

Thanks for the info peppercorn. Oh I thought it was an anomaly. And I personally feel a flush appearance looks neater.

5. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

Hi. About the heel stack, it is a quite common feature for bespoke shoes. I forgot about the technicality but I remember some consider this is actually desirable feature.
    I have bespoke shoes with and without this kind of heal. Early production of Gaziano and Girling RTW had this heel.

I am not sure about brogue problem. Some of the holes are not in line?

6. tre8

tre8 Active Member

Oh it is? I didn't know it was a feature in bespoke as the only experience I have coming across bespoke was japanese ie. Fukuda done for some friends. And the shoes seemed flush at the heel-waist area.
    I didn't really notice the brogue alignment...haven't really looked closely. I was actually referring to the raised leather lines above the brogue line. Seemed like the leather has raised lines forming like a horizontal bump on the leather.

7. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

You mean "cap" toe design? It is quite common design. It is possible to make brogue and line on plain toe shoes, but real cap toe design has a layer of leather just as AM one. Or am I totally missing your points??

8. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

Pretty sure he's referencing the small band thats about .5cm above the broguing on the captoe, moreso on the right shoe. It runs across the entire toe

9. tre8

tre8 Active Member

That's right! Thanks Jmm722. Yea was wondering about that, whether it's a defect.

10. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

[​IMG]

Oh my bad, sorry. So you mean there is a gap and feels bump here? I drew a fine blue line.

11. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

I believe that is where the toe stiffener ends.

12. andrel42

andrel42 Senior member

Recently received my Optio 530 RTW, a really beautiful full brogue oxford and I have two suggestions a) stop taking pictures with a flash on Antonio Meccariello's website as shoes appear much lighter than they really are and b) do something about the very tight heel. As this is my only pair I don't know what the other lasts are like. Other than that I am thrilled and look forward to their maiden voyage in the coming days :)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Gorgeous! Is it brown? That's extremely dark.

14. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

With regards to the "notch" in front of the heel stack. This was most definitely deliberate. And yes, some (including me), regard it as a desirable feature.

While strictly only aesthetic, I find it accentuates the slimness of a tight waist, and also defines, and brings attention to, a well finished heel stack. It is a feature that Antonio regularly adopts.

Some may appreciate it, some do not. But it does take a bit more effort, than finishing the waist / heel junction completely flush.

Since this maker was mentioned, this is a picture showing the corresponding area in my bespoke Fukuda. While the notch is not as pronounced, you can still see a clear delineation at this junction, as well as the slightly contoured waist in contrast to the sharp straight lines at the start of the heel stack.

[​IMG]

With regards to the area just in front of the toe cap brogueing, I do agree as earlier mentioned that this might be where the toe puff ends. You are also right, I also do feel the captoe area should ideally be completely flush and smooth. I would probably drop Antonio an email and ask about this.

Pertaining to color, actually I feel that the true color of the shoes, is accurately reflected in the online pics on his web shop. The indoor photograph of the very dark shoes is perhaps a little unfair. They are definitely still a dark brown, but I've attached a picture here of what it looks like in natural light. Not glaringly sunny, just normal morning light. Straight up point and shoot. No effects, no filters, nothing. You can see that you can distinguish a very nice (and fairly rich) dark brown.

[​IMG]

Same shoe, indoors on my TV console. Natural light from balcony, no filters.

[​IMG]

Sorry, I forgot to add. I know the shoes are completely different. The Principes vs the Optio. I'll only receive my Optio next week probably, but both are in the same color.

3 people like this.
  15. tre8

tre8 Active Member

bamboo, I was referring to this raised area between the red lines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

And what size are you (9.5 UK?...send to me)? I may have just certified myself as an unofficial AM inspection point. They look great...wear them.

17. tre8

tre8 Active Member

TM, thanks for the helpful comparison. Yea I guess as the notch is not as pronounced in Fukudas, so I might not have noticed this when looking at my friends' shoes on their feet...that & was probably distracted by the amazing last and fukuda 'cuban' heel haha.
    So TM in your opinion, do you think the 'uneven' toe cap area is acceptable for a shoe in this range. I am just a little concerned as some supposed 'lower-end' shoes I have don't seem to have this characteristic at the toe cap area.

Hi Odd I/O, just out of curiosity, I might be mistaken, but I always thought the toecap stiffener would be a cap-like shape placed under to give the front end structure and strength. On my side, it seems like a parallel 'band' shape showing through the leather.. still not sure how this is so?

18. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

Granted, the visible lines on the captoe are not the most ideal. But taking into the account his RTW shoes as a whole, the leather, the details, the finishing, and especially the construction method, Antonio's shoes probably far exceed what's expected at that price point.
    Especially taking into account some of the crap that one sees from makers at twice the price.

I understand you did this as a single MTO. So there is an additional cost that needs to be factored in here.

19. tre8

tre8 Active Member

Thanks Shouldaville.
    And I'll be sure to send them over if I ever order a 9.5 .....these are a sz 8 though :)

20. tre8

tre8 Active Member

Thanks TM. From what you the the others have opined, I guess the conclusion is Antonio's work still stands above the other rtw offerings, and those shoes are acceptable in overall quality. Thanks again for the helpful viewpoints guys :)

Cheers