• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello GMTO Ideas

What colour would you like for this GMTO?

• Antiqued Grey

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Grey museum calf

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Chisel 2

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Soft Square

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Argentum Welted

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Handwelted

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, the Decurion II GMTO Is gathering some decent traction.
Let's do a summary here.
@cypi2 @GeoffreyB @cattitude @NJE66 @clee1982 @RishaStyle @Article 26 @hst @GYWFan
Just a couple more guys and we're good to go.

There have been a few mentions preferring something dark.

I will just use this pic as a color reference first.

Now, we need to discuss:

1) Is this colour ok for everyone?

2) Seems like the preference is for the Chisel 2 last, or the Soft Square. What are your preferences?

3) Construction? Most likely Argentum welted, though I will still get a quotation for Argentum handwelted for comparison.

4) Should this be a 2017 or 2018 project?

2017-11-29-06-47-51.jpg

Last edited:

cattitude

Reaction score
@ThunderMarch thanks for corralling everyone for this makeup. My answers are below:

1. I’m happy with dark grey museum, maybe not too intense on the mottling if possible.
2. OK with chisel 2 or soft sq.
3. Argentum is good for me, but I agree that it doesn’t hurt to obtain a quote, so I’m OK with the majority decision.
4. Anytime is fine. I’ll sign up when it’s ready.

One question - does Antonio include trees for these GMTOs or do we add that separately?

Looking forward to this pair. Great idea by those who cooked it up.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. Happy with the color can be a bit darker too
2. prefer chisel 2, though not a deal breaker with soft square
3. prefer AW unless everyone else goes for HW
4. 2018, but if it comes in 2017 will join as well

GYWFan

Reaction score
Let's do a summary here.
@cypi2 @GeoffreyB @cattitude @NJE66 @clee1982 @RishaStyle @Article 26 @hst @GYWFan

View attachment 882472 Antonio calls this dark grey museum.

1) Is everybody happy with this color?

2) There also seems to be a preference for the Chisel 2. Which is fine by me. Everyone ok with this?

3) Construction. I am also fine with Argentum welted. Guess most would prefer this. I can get a quote for handwelted as well, if there is a strong desire for this?

4) Lastly, would you guys want this to be a 2017 or 2018 project?

Thanks very much @ThunderMarch for coordinating.

1) Happy with the proposed colour - looks great!

2) Preference is for Chisel 2.

3) Argentum welted is preferred but can consider handwelting if majority opts for this. Would be interested to hear how much the extra cost is in any event.

4) Preferably a 2018 project but if majority opts for 2017, I’m happy to consider.

Thanks again!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might partake in this if 1. funds allow and 2. I can nail my sizing

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
Let's do a summary here.

View attachment 882472 Antonio calls this dark grey museum.

1) Is everybody happy with this color?

2) There also seems to be a preference for the Chisel 2. Which is fine by me. Everyone ok with this?

3) Construction. I am also fine with Argentum welted. Guess most would prefer this. I can get a quote for handwelted as well, if there is a strong desire for this?

4) Lastly, would you guys want this to be a 2017 or 2018 project?

Thanks ThunderMarch or organizing the GMTO.

1) Color is fine (as long as it is kept a dark color). Black museum preferred but dark grey museum will be fine.

2) As far as the last Chisel 2 will be fine or Soft Square (no preference there)

3) Whatever the majority will rule on construction (although I never had a handwelted construction shoe from him)

4) 2017 or 2018 (either way would be fine with me)

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have shifted GMTO discussions pertaining to AM GMTO ideas and organisation to this new thread here at the request of the mods.

I shall start the ball rolling by continuing where we had left off with regards to the Decurion II GMTO in grey museum calf.

I will re-tag those who are interested so we can continue discussions here.

@cattitude @clee1982 @GYWFan @GeoffreyB (I have noted all your most recent updates)
@cypi2 @Article 26 @NJE66 @RishaStyle @hst

For the benefit of the anyone else interested, the details are:

Decurion II (Top picture)
Colour: Dark grey museum calf (Bottom picture)
Chisel 2 last
Argentum welted (most likely, but I will get a quotation for handwelted)
May either be a 2017 or 2018 project
decurion.jpg
2017-11-29-06-47-51.jpg

Last edited:

bsmw

Reaction score
ThunderMarch,

Please count me in, but I will appreciate some sizing advice. How does the Chisel 2 last compared to GG E width of the same size?

Thanks.

Regards,
Bryan

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ThunderMarch,

Please count me in, but I will appreciate some sizing advice. How does the Chisel 2 last compared to GG E width of the same size?

Thanks.

Regards,
Bryan

Dear Bryan
That's great, and glad to have you aboard.
Generally, most folks fit well into AM's lasts in the same size as their G&G lasts in regular width.
The Chisel 2 is also more generous than the Soft Square and Hawksbill so I feel taking your GG size is safe.

Article 26

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have shifted GMTO discussions pertaining to AM GMTO ideas and organisation to this new thread here at the request of the mods.

I shall start the ball rolling by continuing where we had left off with regards to the Decurion II GMTO in grey museum calf.

@cattitude @clee1982 @GYWFan @GeoffreyB (I have noted all your most recent updates)

Chisel 2 last
View attachment 882560
View attachment 882557
Rather nice!

Any timeline is fine with me.

cypi2

Reaction score

Chisel 2 last
View attachment 882560
View attachment 882557

As always, many many thanks for organizing this GMTO @ThunderMarch !

1. The color is fine with me
2. The Chisel 2 last is fine with me, but, I would also be OK with other lasts as well
3. The Argentum construction is completely fine with me, but, I would consider handwelted if the majority requested it
5. Either 2017 or 2018 will work for me

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cattitude
Just one point. I did note your input with regards to the mottling.
In many of AM's shoes, the final colour / patination is done by hand, sometimes on a calf already close to the final desired colour, and sometimes on crust.

In most / all cases, he has a good eye for colour, and a somewhat adventurous streak.
I have found that on his museum calf offerings (and you are right), that the mottling is indeed fairly pronounced, with rather sharp demarcations between light and dark areas. This gives rise to a rather striking effect, from close up.

I am not sure though, how to communicate with him with regards to decreasing this mottling (his first language is not English) but I can try.

One option though (but I do not have a picture of this), is that we can try asking for an "antiqued" dark grey? If some degree of colour gradation / variation is desired. '

I do find that on shoes that he calls "antiqued", there isn't so much of any mottling, but just subtle changes in intensity of colour from one part to another.

bsmw

Reaction score
I actually prefer antiqued dark gray, but will take gray museum if that's the preference of the majority.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads