• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello GMTO Ideas

What colour would you like for this GMTO?

• Antiqued Grey

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Grey museum calf

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Chisel 2

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Soft Square

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Argentum Welted

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Handwelted

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
can’t edit anymore, let me reply instead
so model

imperator
1622899699619.png

last: open
leather: vintage baby box (150 euro upcharge), either

1. dark brown

need to ask if this is also "the same" dark brown, leather looks great

OR

2. burgundy/oxblood from the same tannery late 80 early 90s vintage baby box, he has very limited number of this, as in if enough people are interested he has to check if he has enough leather to make this (1 to 2 pair yes, beyond that he has to check)

headcount (given the variation, I'll just put everyone including maybe here)

so if we just put all with interest then we’re maybe at 10, though definitely a lot conflict (oxblood vs brown, chisel vs round can everyone list preference and say if it’s a deal breaker)

edit: and I'm sure most people would prefer px reduction instead of tree though if he propose that I assume the economics won't work out that well (i.e. if the ditching free tree equivalent is save 25 euro then probably not, though I doubt it's that low or he probably just won't offer it, but let me get the headcount straight before I go back to him)

@bernoulli -> strong preference for oxblood, but dark brown if the last guy then ok, prefer price reduction instead of free tree
@Penrod -> oxblood
@Rylsa -> ok with both dark brown and oxblood, prefer chisel 2, but not chisel 2 is not a deal break
@GeoffreyB
@shoes83
@cypi2 -> prefer oxblood, prefer not chisel 2 or mayfair
@Jmr928
@Betta -> round not chisel
@evangel21 -> maybe
@clee1982

then I think rest are out for now (1 definitely out rest no response so assume out by now)
@jischwar
@deez shoes
@WhyUEarly
@beargonefishing
@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes
@wklq76a
@acapaca
@shirtingfantasy
@woofmang
@Encore
@bsarosi
@JustPullHarder
@DL120
@nishant
@Zaos1
@AWu

most likely can't waive single MTO charge but free last tree instead (but that was pre-vintage leather, so need to check, but if we're far off on headcount then I want to be sure we're somewhat close before I propose something to him)

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have a strong (very strong) preference for oxblood. My reasoning for accepting a dark brown version is thus: I feel like yours is a noble pursuit and I want to help the community. If there are more than enough people to fund a dark brown GMTO, I will pass. If it hinges on a single person, I will do it.

In addition, I would much rather reduce fees than getting a lasted tree if that is an option at all. Shoe trees are cheap and I don't find any difference between the U$10 cedar shoe trees I can get on taobao and the lasted trees that some makers offer (and yes, I have experimented; my Vass respond the same regardless of which trees are in them).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was like you but I get trees for aesthetic reason just a nice complete package I suppose

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So guys sorry kind back to drawing board, just checked with AM, he did 11 Aurum with the vintage leather, so definitely not enough left for GMTO (and he can’t just re stock for obvious reason).

Would people still be interested with some of the regular stuff you can get on the single MTO on his website?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so some more talking, I think it might be back to live again!!!, not same vintage leather, might be some freudenberg and some Annonay, can I get just a strong preference in dark brown vs. oxblood

edit: then after I got head count decently firm enough AM said he needs 2~3 weeks to see if he can find something (and check for quality)

Last edited:

shoes83

Reaction score
Woo-hoo, we're getting there!

I'm flexible on the color (prefer oxblood but like that brown a lot).

Would prefer Hawksbill and Soft Square, but ok on Chisel 2.

cypi2

Reaction score
So guys sorry kind back to drawing board, just checked with AM, he did 11 Aurum with the vintage leather, so definitely not enough left for GMTO (and he can’t just re stock for obvious reason).

Would people still be interested with some of the regular stuff you can get on the single MTO on his website?

@clee1982 thank you so much for your persistence and for following through with this project!
  • Last: Not a deal breaker.
    • Open to any last.
    • By order of preference: hawksbill, round, soft square, chisel 2, mayfair
  • Leather:
    • Not a deal breaker.
    • Open to any leather. Vintage, Freudenberg, Annonay...
    • A standard MTO burgundy/oxblood leather would be fine.
    • Hue is the deal breaker for me in this case: Not brown.
  • Reduced fees vs. free shoe trees:
    • Not a deal breaker.
    • Very strong preference for reduced fees.
  • Color/Hue:
    • Deal breaker.
    • Choice: burgundy/oxblood

Last edited:

Betta

Reaction score
Last: not deal breaker preference would prefer hawksbill or softsquare (obviously round isnt going anywhere lol)
Leather: no preference (hmm on second thought, no textured leather, not my cuppa)
Reduced fee: whatever is majority
Color: oxblood preference, but not deal breaker.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think waived MTO fee isn’t possible on any GMTO currently not just vintage leathers which is why AM offered up lasted trees as a benefit to doing a GMTO but @clee1982 can confirm.

On last I’ve gotta touch base with AM and see if he can adjust my fitting how he recommended - if so I’m open to whatever. If he can’t adjust it I may be out on it.

GeoffreyB

Reaction score
I am still in as long as the last is the chisel 2 (like the picture) and the color is brown (like the picture or similar). I have enough dress shoes that are burgundy in color. AM makes a great Oxblood no doubt, but that Vintage Roja by G&G fits the bill for me.

babyyylov333

Reaction score
Alright, the Decurion II GMTO Is gathering some decent traction.
Let's do a summary here.
@cypi2 @GeoffreyB @cattitude @NJE66 @clee1982 @RishaStyle @Article 26 @hst @GYWFan
Just a couple more guys and we're good to go.

There have been a few mentions preferring something dark.

I will just use this pic as a color reference first.

Now, we need to discuss:

1) Is this colour ok for everyone?

2) Seems like the preference is for the Chisel 2 last, or the Soft Square. What are your preferences?

3) Construction? Most likely Argentum welted, though I will still get a quotation for Argentum handwelted for comparison.

4) Should this be a 2017 or 2018 project?

View attachment 882472
he general preference seems to be for a 2018 project so I think you might be in luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads